james1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm transferring out of a 4 Yr College to another 4 year college. Should I make an effort to get letters of recommendation from professors here, or will med schools only want LOR's from the college I graduate from?

Related to this - if I do ask for LOR's from prof's here, is it typical to have the prof. give YOU the letter, or to have them write it now and ask them to submit it when you apply? How does this work exactly? (I will be applying in 2-3 years)

*sorry for the typo in subject line

10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2006
Status
Medical Student
As for the first part, it's not a bad idea but it's not necessary. I spent two years at a 4 year school, then 3 years at another one. All my professor LORs were from the second school. I would've tried to obtain some from the first school just for the heck of it, but I hadn't made any real connections with professors, at least not well enough to have them remember me a few years later to write a worthwhile LOR. Basically, it can't hurt, but probably isn't necessary, unless you did the bulk of your science coursework at the first school.

OP
james1988

james1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
As for the first part, it's not a bad idea but it's not necessary. I spent two years at a 4 year school, then 3 years at another one. All my professor LORs were from the second school. I would've tried to obtain some from the first school just for the heck of it, but I hadn't made any real connections with professors, at least not well enough to have them remember me a few years later to write a worthwhile LOR. Basically, it can't hurt, but probably isn't necessary, unless you did the bulk of your science coursework at the first school.
thanks; what about the second part?

RoadRunner17

Fleet of feet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 12, 2007
Status
Usually, the professors write the letter for you and send it directly to whomever (I assume your pre-health committee). If you waive your rights (as expected), you will never see the letter unless you try to circumvent that.

OP
james1988

james1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Usually, the professors write the letter for you and send it directly to whomever (I assume your pre-health committee). If you waive your rights (as expected), you will never see the letter unless you try to circumvent that.
thats precisely the issue; because im kinda in transition here from one school to another, i can't have the pre-med comitteee at my current school hold letters for me as I will be leaving the school and not be applying from here- will a pre-med committee at another school be willing to hold these letters from professors not form their uni?

10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2006
Status
Medical Student
will a pre-med committee at another school be willing to hold these letters from professors not form their uni?

I would certainly think that most would. It might be a good idea to contact your new school's premed committee (if you haven't already) and set up a file or whatever you have to do, so that you could have your prof send the letter and the new school can file it correctly. Much less of a chance that it will get lost.

OP
james1988

james1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I would certainly think that most would. It might be a good idea to contact your new school's premed committee (if you haven't already) and set up a file or whatever you have to do, so that you could have your prof send the letter and the new school can file it correctly. Much less of a chance that it will get lost.
good idea; probably should have thought of that myself -
anyhow, thanks.