Locum Tenens jobs after graduating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdiddy4EM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experiences/thoughts about locums positions right after residency as your first gig? Was it diffcult going between hospitals? Appreciate any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any experiences/thoughts about locums positions right after residency as your first gig? Was it diffcult going between hospitals? Appreciate any insight.

As a resident, I had moonlit at 9 different hospitals. Some of them I worked once and never again, others I worked a few shifts a month. Volumes ranged from 8K to 37K.

There is a learning curve when going to a new gig, and the curve is larger the busier the shop is. With that said, I personally enjoy walking into a fresh new place I have never worked at. I enjoy meeting new people/nurses, and seeing/experiencing a different department. For my full time job, I made certain I could work elsewhere if I wanted to. I have not started my fulltime position, but I am privledged at about 3 different places within a couple hundred miles and I have already worked a few shifts at one.

People tell me once I am settled into my full time place, I will have no interest elsewhere. That might be the case; its probably moreso the 5 day old son sitting in my lap that will keep me close to home.

I think travel/perm locums jobs would be AWESOME if your family life is ok with it. For us, my wife has traveled extensively (north slopes of Alaska to the Gull of Mexico and all places in between). Needless to say, she was ready to settle and we wanted to start a family, so here we are...

I also think you can make a KILLING working Locums. I havd made insane amounts of money filling last minute gigs. Most people who do it full time though use a Locums compnay (middle man) that will scarf much of the increased pay. It would be tough to coordinate gigs yourself is you are working at points across states. If you stay to an area of your state or a smaller state, you can coordinate stuff yourself rather easily...

Do American docs ever have the option to take international locum tenen positions? In english speaking countries, non-english European, Japan, etc? I don't mean MSF, I mean 6 months of EM in Dublin or something along those lines..

Members don't see this ad :)
Do American docs ever have the option to take international locum tenen positions? In english speaking countries, non-english European, Japan, etc? I don't mean MSF, I mean 6 months of EM in Dublin or something along those lines..

In general this is very difficult as all countries have their own training and licensing requirements and most (especially Western Europe/UK) don't accept US training as a substitute except in emergency situations. I don't know about Japan specifically.

A/NZ is the place that most people I know who did overseas locums work went. I don't know the requirements but these were all IM trained folks who went down under to do urgent care and hospitalist work and they didn't need to do any other training to do it.

Vista does locums in Australia and New Zealand.
They only pay about $120 an hour last I checked, but they cover your housing/vehicle.
I don't know how the taxes work.

They don't do it a lot in other places, because A/E takes a longer residency in those places.

I heard it was also an option in Ireland. Also, the middle east countries like Saudi Arabia, Jordan and some others are always looking. I heard you could do very well in some of those places.
http://www.gulftalent.com/home/Consultant-Emergency-Medicine-jobs-in-Riyadh-Saudi-Arabia-43282.html

http://www.hziegler.com/employers/king-faisal-riyadh/jobs/md-emergency-medicine.html

Let me say I have not done this and I am in no way endorsing this. Just saying it is an option. They are at ACEP every year.