HenryH

AA-S
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
I know that most other medical specialties have locum tenens opportunities available to practitioners, so I was wondering if podiatrists also had the option of pursuing this avenue of work. Is it common for podiatrists to fill in at hospitals, etc. and do locums work?

jonwill

Podiatrist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2005
Southwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I know that most other medical specialties have locum tenens opportunities available to practitioners, so I was wondering if podiatrists also had the option of pursuing this avenue of work. Is it common for podiatrists to fill in at hospitals, etc. and do locums work?

I have no idea what "locum tenens" is.

dpmgrad

15+ Year Member
May 17, 2005
Philadelphia
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Locum tenens for Podiatry does exist. It is not as common as other specialties. Most of the locum tenens work is to fill in for private practices when someone is out sick/maternal leave/vacation/etc... and rarely involves filling in the hospital since the number of podiatrists working for a hospital is rather small. One of my classmate did some locum tenens work after graduating from residency training before landing a permanent job.

About the Ads

dpmgrad

15+ Year Member
May 17, 2005
Philadelphia
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I have no idea what "locum tenens" is.

Locum tenens is a situation where a practictioner, group practice, or hospital hires a physician temporarily to fill in a vacant position, which may be a result of maternity leave, illness, vacation, shortage of physicians, etc.... The locum tenens position may be full time or part time. I know of a family practice physician who does locum tenens work after having her child. She gets to work part time and also spend time raising her child. Locum tenens position may also lead to a permanent position with that employer if they like you a great deal. Lastly, locum tenens opportunities for Podiatry are still pretty rare as compared to other medical specialties. I see it more common with primary care physicians.

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
Locum tenens for Podiatry does exist. It is not as common as other specialties. Most of the locum tenens work is to fill in for private practices when someone is out sick/maternal leave/vacation/etc... and rarely involves filling in the hospital since the number of podiatrists working for a hospital is rather small. One of my classmate did some locum tenens work after graduating from residency training before landing a permanent job.

Thanks for your response; do you know how your classmate landed the locum tenens job? Did he use a particular agency? Similar to what he did, I think I would love to do some locums work for a few months before settling down with a permanent job...

dpmgrad

15+ Year Member
May 17, 2005
Philadelphia
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Thanks for your response; do you know how your classmate landed the locum tenens job? Did he use a particular agency? Similar to what he did, I think I would love to do some locums work for a few months before settling down with a permanent job...

My classmate got her locum tenens job through word of mouth. One of the surgical reps knew of a group looking for someone to temporarily fill in while the colleague is out on maternity leave. I know that I sometimes see a locum tenens listing through APMA News Classifieds, State Podatry Association newsletters, TUSPM and OCPM Great Exchange, and PM Newsletter once in a blue moon. I think a lot of it is still by word of mouth. Perhaps, one of the practicing guys might have some other ideas. What area of the country are you looking for these locum tenens opportunities?

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
Actually, I'm just a curious college student; I'm considering podiatry school and have always held an interest in the lifestyle of locum tenens work, so I was just wondering if I'd have access to these opportunities as a podiatrist. If I was already a podiatrist, thought, I'd probably want to work in the southeastern US (Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, North/South Carolina, etc.).

NatCh

10+ Year Member
May 21, 2007
Oregon
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatrist
Actually, I'm just a curious college student; I'm considering podiatry school and have always held an interest in the lifestyle of locum tenens work, so I was just wondering if I'd have access to these opportunities as a podiatrist. If I was already a podiatrist, thought, I'd probably want to work in the southeastern US (Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, North/South Carolina, etc.).
I think your opportunities as a locum DPM would be limited, mostly because there aren't that many podiatrists in the nation. You might find something once in awhile, but you'd probably have to travel around the country and would have maybe too much time unemployed to make a career out of it. I recall some DPM was offering to pay $100/day to run his practice in Hawaii for a few weeks while he was on vacation. $100/day! Yippee! Keep in mind if you do locum you would likely still have to pay for your own malpractice and state licenses, and taxes for someone filing as a Sole Proprietor are pretty high. You'd have to do enough of it throughout the year (every year) to be able to pay your expenses, and I have a hard time believing you could do that as a career. Even if you could find enough work, I wouldn't want to do it unless you see yourself as a ramblin' man, like the kind who works carnivals. "Sorry baby...the road is callin' and I gotta roam."

Locum MD/DO docs can find ER work pretty easily from what I'm told. One of the Nurse Anesthetists at our surgery center does locum and travels a lot. She moves every 2-3 months it seems. She likes it because she gets to see many places but it does take her away from her family quite a bit.

If you are looking for an easy lifestyle, you can certainly get it with a normal part-time podiatry practice. I don't know how much nicer it can get, other than maybe inventing silent velcro or something.

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
Thanks for your input, NatCh. One of the reasons I looked into locum work was because of the purported high income potential. I guess it just makes more sense, as you said, to be a part-time/full-time podiatrist instead of some traveling circus monkey.

$100/day to be a podiatrist?! Yikes! I wouldn't do ANYTHING for $100/day, including podiatry. As an aside, the "goal" income that I want to eventually (but not the "after 20 years of practice" kind of eventually) earn doing whatever career I end up choosing is $800/day.

We'll see...

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.