locum tenens - pros and cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennisballs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you done locum tenens? Was it worthwhile? Did you feel like you got adequate financial compensation? How much of your income goes to malpractice insurance?

I'd like to hear about some of your thoughts and experiences with this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When you do locums, your insurance is provided by the group that hires you. You are temporarily placed on their carrier. When I have a locums guy replace me, he has my "spot" on my insurance for the week and my insurance does not cover me for that week if I come into the hospital and provide anesthesia.

I did locums during fellowship and felt like I was reasonably compensated. I have considered doing the same job even now as an attending because I always made as much in a weekend as I make in a normal week here, but I had to be in house for 48 consecutive hours. Still worth it though. There are better arrangements out there. Some of the nicer ones I have heard of pay similarly, but have no in house requirement.

- pod

What exactly do you mean by locums? Random travel via an agency? Or just spot part-time coverage in various locations?

I moonlight outside the Navy as a "locums" but it's not through an agency. I just directly contract with the groups, no middleman. Sometimes I'm hourly, sometimes it's a flat fee for coverage for a period of time.

I carry my own malpractice policy, which is discounted about 50% because it's part time. It's cheap. I'll be entering year 4 of it shortly (maturity is at 5) and it's still only about 2-3 days worth of work.

Tail will be 230% of my current annual premium, when that day comes.

I'm in a tort reform state. I got a quote for my other home state, since I'm likely to move back there in a couple years, and the rates were somewhat higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you do locums, your insurance is provided by the group that hires you. You are temporarily placed on their carrier. When I have a locums guy replace me, he has my "spot" on my insurance for the week and my insurance does not cover me for that week if I come into the hospital and provide anesthesia.

I think it all depends on how your insurance is set up and what may OR MAY NOT BE provided through whatever agency or provider hires you.

Some locums agencies pay for malpractice - some don't. That's something tennisballs would need to be fully aware of BEFORE starting any locums job or even moonlighting for that matter. Know your coverage and all the particulars.

Locums are crap. Don't do it. Don't hire them.

Why is doing Locums crap? I'm planning to relocate next year, and if I don't get an offer I'm happy with I'm exploring doing Locums and continue to look a job with I'm happy with. What's the downside of Locums? I could get an assignment for 6-12 months and build some contacts in the area I moved to. What's wrong with that?

Why is doing Locums crap? I'm planning to relocate next year, and if I don't get an offer I'm happy with I'm exploring doing Locums and continue to look a job with I'm happy with. What's the downside of Locums? I could get an assignment for 6-12 months and build some contacts in the area I moved to. What's wrong with that?

The locums companies get a disproportionately higher % of people who suck. Most strong, reliable, personality-disorder-free anesthesiologists have permanent jobs, or move from one permanent job to another. Locums is a refuge for some people who can't hold jobs because they suck.

There are of course exceptions, but here's why Noyac hates locums:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=610548