Locums in New Zealand and Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foxtrot

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got an email from locum tenens regarding international work in Australia and New Zealand with a company called International Medical Recruitment? Has anyone out there ever done any international locum work with a company like this.

Members don't see this ad.

Big pay cut. $600 per day if I remember correctly. That being said, people don't go out there for the money. Sounds adventurous and fun actually.

Big pay cut. $600 per day if I remember correctly. That being said, people don't go out there for the money. Sounds adventurous and fun actually.

Yes, big financial whack; however, people that I've spoken with who've done it LOVED it.
You may not want to come back.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow if that's what they're offering stay away. ED docs working as locums in undesirable rural locations here get $350 per hour and do 8-10 hour shifts. sorry i have no info on locums for anaesthetists - but i expect it'd be about the same if you can arrange it direct with the hospital!

wow if that's what they're offering stay away. ED docs working as locums in undesirable rural locations here get $350 per hour and do 8-10 hour shifts. sorry i have no info on locums for anaesthetists - but i expect it'd be about the same if you can arrange it direct with the hospital!

That's close to 900k as an ED doc? Madness...

In fairness, New Zealand anesthesia compensation is far lower than that in Australia so I've been told. Ergo exodus from to.

short term contracts are at that rate - no idea what happens when someone stays longer.

short term contracts are at that rate - no idea what happens when someone stays longer.

I've chatted with some Kiwis about anesthesia practice there. Yes, compensation is lower, but to live in one of the most beautiful places on earth with super nice people and quality care. Plus you have your own personal anesthesia tech/assistant all day, and a customary OR break--surgeons, et al-- mid-morning for tea-what-have-you. Sounds pretty civilized to me. Too far from family for my wife's taste, otherwise...?

I found out about this only after starting a family and now I'm old and too settled to up and go. If I were a few years out of training and still single I'd be all over this. I've been there, its amazing. Not sure about long term living but worth the hike from the US. The way I see it this is a great chance to see how gas is passed outside of the US and travel a bit while getting paid. Win win if you ask me. If money is what you desire most then this won't appeal to you anyway...and you should probably quit medicine altogether.