Locums/PSLF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatewasani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that it is a misconception that working Locums disqualifies you from PSLF for those months, I have no idea if there is any truth to that.

But, if you were working locums and still being provided a salary by the hospitals directly that were 501c3 than it would stand to reason. It's probably more paperwork than its worth since you would have to get forms filled out by each individual hospital i'm guessing, but just wanted to inquire if anybody had any experience with that or knew anything about that.

Locums appeals to me but I think i wouldn't do it if it meant my payments wouldn't count towards loan forgiveness.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you’re $1 million dollars in debt there’s very small likelihood that the locums position is not worth your time. You’ll make a large chunk of cash that you can save, enjoy and pay debt down with. Don’t be a servant to a program that is a joke.

PSLF can easily disappear and is not a binding promise by the government. In our cash strapped government forgiving the debt of rich doctors is an easy target that I wouldnt count on and should not be part of your jobs calculus at all unless you can qualify next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
PSLF can easily disappear and is not a binding promise by the government. In our cash strapped government forgiving the debt of rich doctors is an easy target that I wouldnt count on and should not be part of your jobs calculus at all unless you can qualify next year.

I don't disagree but until that happens, I do have an interest in maintaining on the PSLF track.
In any case, it seems like locums might be more trouble than its worth

Seems like you posted a question having already made your mind up.

yep...now I remember why I stopped posting here

wealth of information
even more misinformation

Last edited: