LOCUMS vs Permanent job in pulm/cc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soccer171983

living the dream
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know what everyone's opinion was regarding Locums vs permanent position. I am looking at staying in las vegas, Nevada primarily. It seems like most first year salaries from pulm/cc are about 300-400k depending on various factors however it does seem like a lot of locums firms can get you contracted at a higher hourly rate which would easily put someone into mid 400's. I know that benefits might not be all that great doing locums but would the precipitous jump in salary be worth it with what someone can do on their own? How about using a locums to contract for you and transition to a permanent position? I am hearing a lot of stories about locums being able to somehow get you more hourly pay than when directly contacting the hospitals in several cases. Would appreciate any input as I have 1 year till I am done with fellowship. THanks a million ladies and gents!

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to know what everyone's opinion was regarding Locums vs permanent position. I am looking at staying in las vegas, Nevada primarily. It seems like most first year salaries from pulm/cc are about 300-400k depending on various factors however it does seem like a lot of locums firms can get you contracted at a higher hourly rate which would easily put someone into mid 400's. I know that benefits might not be all that great doing locums but would the precipitous jump in salary be worth it with what someone can do on their own? How about using a locums to contract for you and transition to a permanent position? I am hearing a lot of stories about locums being able to somehow get you more hourly pay than when directly contacting the hospitals in several cases. Would appreciate any input as I have 1 year till I am done with fellowship. THanks a million ladies and gents!
Locum Tenens vs Permanent | Physician Employment Opportunities | Physician Recruiting | Locum Tenens

I was also curious about it, have no personal experience. My seniors in fellowship said that locums is a good way to earn top $$ but this seems to suggest otherwise

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
life situation changed and now i need some advice! I am about to graduate this coming cycle from a pulm/cc fellowship. current boss offering about 350k. I am no longer tied to anyone or any place but I was wondering about doing some sort of locums pulm/cc gig, keeping my place in vegas and figuring out what the requisite amount of time i need to be here for me to not have to pay state tax (nv has not state income tax). I was thinking of setting up my own llc/pllc or something like that and hustling while a bit younger but still contributing to sep-ira and what not. I figured this way I could pay off debt from student loans and my vegas condo before settling for a full time type of gig where the focus is more on having a steady salary with benefits inclusive of health, vision, dental, 401k with matching. I would love to hear different options you guys can recommend. I don't mind doing a week in vegas and a week elsewhere or something like that?

life situation changed and now i need some advice! I am about to graduate this coming cycle from a pulm/cc fellowship. current boss offering about 350k. I am no longer tied to anyone or any place but I was wondering about doing some sort of locums pulm/cc gig, keeping my place in vegas and figuring out what the requisite amount of time i need to be here for me to not have to pay state tax (nv has not state income tax). I was thinking of setting up my own llc/pllc or something like that and hustling while a bit younger but still contributing to sep-ira and what not. I figured this way I could pay off debt from student loans and my vegas condo before settling for a full time type of gig where the focus is more on having a steady salary with benefits inclusive of health, vision, dental, 401k with matching. I would love to hear different options you guys can recommend. I don't mind doing a week in vegas and a week elsewhere or something like that?

Still motivated and unattached. Sure. Go be a merc. Why not. But I wouldn't recommend you do it more than 3-5 years before finding a spot to settle a bit if you can.

Still motivated and unattached. Sure. Go be a merc. Why not. But I wouldn't recommend you do it more than 3-5 years before finding a spot to settle a bit if you can.

I was thinking to do like 14 shifts a month wherever needed ($$$$$) so that I am in las vegas greater than 50% of the year and then doing some small time stuff in vegas as well if i would like to supplement in addition. This way no state income tax, pay off condo about 190-200k left, pay off students loans 200k, and cc debt. I figure the quicker I get out of the hole the easier it is to settle into some permanent job where I can take a little pay cut for cushiness if I needed but still have to ability to work additional shifts and get all the benefits of FT even if the pay is not on par with locums. I do not know if this is reasonable or not?

I was thinking to do like 14 shifts a month wherever needed ($$$$$) so that I am in las vegas greater than 50% of the year and then doing some small time stuff in vegas as well if i would like to supplement in addition. This way no state income tax, pay off condo about 190-200k left, pay off students loans 200k, and cc debt. I figure the quicker I get out of the hole the easier it is to settle into some permanent job where I can take a little pay cut for cushiness if I needed but still have to ability to work additional shifts and get all the benefits of FT even if the pay is not on par with locums. I do not know if this is reasonable or not?

Someoone more experienced than me can answer but I'm pretty sure you pay taxes to the state worked in not the state you live in barring states that have formal agreements that are usually next to each other. Living in Vegas won't give you a tax advantage.

I just looked into it.... you are right. There are some rural areas that could keep me having one week in lv and one week in middle of nowhere making bank...