Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Lodging in Beantown

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by wes c. adle, Nov 13, 2005.

1. wes c. adle

wes c. adle Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey all - I'm wondering if anyone has any advice as far as where to stay in Boston for interviews. Specifically, I was wondering if there are any convenient spots where I could stay while going to BU, Tuft, BID. I checked a map, and the programs don't seem to be on the same side of town. Any suggestions?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bariume

bariume Member
    7+ Year Member

you can get a decent priced room on orbitz.com for the Hotel Collonade. That is practically in the middle of the three hospitals. I stayed there for my interviews and was satisfied. Some of the reviews on this hotel were horrible though. If you choose to stay there, make sure you get a newer renovated room. The location is prime though. You are right next to Copley Mall and the Prudential Center, plenty of good eats and things to see.

if you want to spend a bit more, I recommend the Hotel Commonwealth in Kenmore Square. Great rooms, free wireless internet, awesome bar and lounge at night.

Both hotels are conveniently next to T subway stations.

4. phatfarm

phatfarm Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wes,
    Stay closer to BU, which is closer to Tufts than BID. Your best bet is to take a train from there to the BID. As for specific places, I'm not so sure.

5. skypilot

skypilot 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    BU to Tufts is easy. There is an express bus called the Silverline that runs up and down Washington Street between the two campuses every 5 minutes. It is only about 2 miles from BU to Tufts! Costs 90 cents. There are less frequent buses from BU to BID. The BU neighborhood is not the greatest (safest) for hotels though. There are some great hotels a few blocks from Tufts but very expensive:

Four Seasons
    Sheraton

Hotels in Copley or the Prudential Center would be nice too. You could take the Orange line to Tufts and then continue on the Silverline express bus to BU. Alternatively you could take the #1 bus down Mass Ave to BU and then continue to Tufts via the Silverline express bus.

6. phatfarm

phatfarm Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't forget the "E line" or 39 bus which will drop you off from downtown to within a few blocks from the BID.

7. skypilot

skypilot 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Schedules and maps:

http://www.mbta.com

8. wes c. adle

wes c. adle Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for your help!

9. DrHeartMD

DrHeartMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

hi guys...bump for this thread as I need help for lodging in beantown as well...have interviews in the following bostonian places, and need help finding some lodging (hotel suggestions by name would be ideal)...

BID, BU, Tufts, MGH, BW...please let me know what is best...I also dont know much about traffic up there...i saw a couple hotels that were cheap (including a hojo near kenmore square) and they said they were like a mile or so from BW and BID and about 1.5 miles from MGH...but what does that mean timewise for a commute to an interview at say 7 AM? thanks for the advice bostonians...

10. raph91

raph91 Member
    5+ Year Member

you don't want to be driving around boston - fine to drive up but not the best plan to drive around. from a LOT of experience (spent a few years up there), the t-line is great (one of the stops is right at mgh - the red line, actually goes along the entire harvard square, etc. route). will get you where you need to be when you need to be there. only problem is identification of stops. you can look it up on a map of the t-line though. you can even go the day before your first interview if you really want and ride the t-line around until you're sure of all the stops you need to take.

cant make recommendations hotel-wise as never had to get a hotel up there.

11. BStein76

BStein76 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am not from Boston, but I stayed at the Holiday Inn Brookline for my Boston interview.
    http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/BKLMA
    It is walking distance 10-15 mintues to BIDMC and 15-20 for BWH. There is also a complimentary shuttle that leaves on the hour for both BWH and BIDMC. A taxi ride from the hotel to either campus runs $4-8. The hotel is right next to the "C" Green line at the St. Paul stop and you can get to it directly from the Airport. From the airport take the free bus to the blue line; take the blue line to "Government Center" and switch to the "C" green line and it takes you to in front of the hotel. I think MGH is further North off using red line and I am not sure the travel time from this hotel.

12. Zolpidem25

Zolpidem25 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i have one word -- TAXI

i know they are more expensive, but i personally do not hesitate to blow some money on cabs, if i'm concerned about getting somewhere on time etc. this whole process has already cost me an arm and a leg, not to mention how much medical school and undergrad cost... a few extra bucks at the very end here is not gonna break me.

13. Espion

Espion is a girl
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The Hampton Inn at 811 Massachusetts is pretty much right across the street from BU.

14. DrHeartMD

DrHeartMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

thanks all u guys for ur advice...i found a howard johnson near kenwood square...but that holiday inn brookline seems ok...though the hojo will save me a lot of money since ill be sticking around for a couple of days...any opinions...thanks a lot...and I will probably use a taxi i think

15. BStein76

BStein76 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The Brookline Holiday Inn was about ~$109 BIDMC/BWH rate; if you are interviewing at both those institutions it works out well, not sure how close it is to BU, but the green line runs right in front of the hotel.