Logging volunteer hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TimeIsNow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a student that has recently decided on a medical career as in MD or PharmD, being as many in my family are doctors or in the science field, and I have realized that this is what I want to do. I am a science major, and fortunately I have completed my liberal arts requirements with some good EC's, and I have completed a minor in music in classical piano. I have realized that I should act upon this decision by doing some sort of medical related volunteering, and since I have the time and go to a good university, I had some questions about this.

My mother is involved with sick children very much, as in she does homeschooling for sick children, and does it through hospitals as well as through homes. So the first question would be, is it recommended that I do something through this program? Or would it be better to do something more standard like the general volunteering at a hospital. Especially if I am interested in working with children for example.

Second of all, am I supposed to be logging these hours? Are there special papers for this? My university just told me to complete the pre-medical or pre-pharmacy requirements for whatever school, and to major in a hard science I enjoyed. Any info is appreciated mainly on the hospital volunteering. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to log your hours.

If you're interested in that stuff your mom does, do it. Schools are more interested in seeing what interests you and what you get involved in than seeing you do the cookie-cutter just because everyone else does it.

If you are teaching/tutoring children who happen to be sick, I think this would be viewed as Teaching and Community Service (if you're not paid), but not necessarily as clinical experience. Opinions may vary on this. I'd suggest you find a way to become part of a therapeutic team involving sick kids, maybe in a hospital's child life center, or doing something on a peds unit. Or volunteer in a pediatric office or local public health clinic.

You should keep track of your own hours and report them on your application, where you'll give contact information (in case they want to check up on you, but they usually don't).

Sounds like a good idea, I should definitely try and see what I can find I will keep those suggestions in mind its much appreciated!