D

deleted1044561

I was wondering if I have the logistics correct for 2020-2021 Cycle.
So AMCAS opens on May 4th and submit for verification on June 1st/early June?

Then application just sits there until July 10 -- which is when it's sent to schools?

To verify, do you just need to add one school? If I'm planning a MCAT retake, will schools see my score before July 10? I think after July 10, any school I added will see my MCAT score, right?

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I was wondering if I have the logistics correct for 2020-2021 Cycle.

So AMCAS opens on May 4th and submit for verification on June 1st/early June?
Yes. When both your application and all your transcripts are received, you will enter the verification queue.
Then application just sits there until July 10 -- which is when it's sent to schools?
Yes, once your application is verified, it will sit waiting for transmission
To verify, do you just need to add one school?
Yes, if you are applying with a retake in mind, I strongly suggest this is a throwaway school.

If I'm planning a MCAT retake, will schools see my score before July 10? I think after July 10, any school I added will see my MCAT score, right?
[/QUOTE]
Schools will not see your score until the application is transmitted

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Hopefulpremed123

2+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
@gonnif @LizzyM @Catalystik

Hello, I had two questions to ask you...

1. If I have a family member (MD) who is a faculty lecturer of an private school of medicine institution, how much of a role if any will this play in helping me out with that particular institution? He's also an attending cardiologist at the school's medical center. Should I just include this information in the secondary as ties to the school or actually request the family member to put in a word that I am applying (I'd rather not do it this way, but if it will have more of an impact- I guess I can try)?

2. If I have a family member who is the dean of the biomedical sciences PhD program of the school of medicine, can he put in a word to the individuals involved with the school of medicine admissions? - This is a public state institution.
- If it can potentially have an impact, at what stage of the process should I request this? After submitting a secondary or as i'm submitting the primary maybe?

Thanks!

Last edited:

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Candor Chasma
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
If this person is your parent, you will be invited to put their name, last school attended, and profession on your application. This might get you a courtesy interview. Some schools will ask on the secondary if you have any family members who are alumni or faculty. Again, this may or may not get you a courtesy interview.

If you feel you have to play this card in order to make an impact, then you aren't a good candidate for that school. Shoot for schools where you are a strong candidate without the family connection. For the most part, the family connection stuff will not tip the balance... or we can see from a mile away that we are being asked to do an interview of someone who is far below our typical candidate just to please someone in a position of power. Imagine how that makes us feel as interviewers. Do you want to be that applicant?

Reactions: 1 users

Hopefulpremed123

2+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If this person is your parent, you will be invited to put their name, last school attended, and profession on your application. This might get you a courtesy interview. Some schools will ask on the secondary if you have any family members who are alumni or faculty. Again, this may or may not get you a courtesy interview.

If you feel you have to play this card in order to make an impact, then you aren't a good candidate for that school. Shoot for schools where you are a strong candidate without the family connection. For the most part, the family connection stuff will not tip the balance... or we can see from a mile away that we are being asked to do an interview of someone who is far below our typical candidate just to please someone in a position of power. Imagine how that makes us feel as interviewers. Do you want to be that applicant?
I do not want to be that applicant. I won't go through with the second option. I really do want to do this own my own accord.

For the first option, the family member is my uncle. The institution is an IVY league medical school and I know these type of schools like "connections" so I was just considering including his information on my secondary if I am asked to list a connection. I will not ask him to go out of his way to put in a word for me to anyone.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Candor Chasma
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
I do not want to be that applicant. I won't go through with the second option. I really do want to do this own my own accord.

For the first option, the family member is my uncle. The institution is an IVY league medical school and I know these type of schools like "connections" so I was just considering including his information on my secondary if I am asked to list a connection. I will not ask him to go out of his way to put in a word for me to anyone.

Good plan.

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads