Logistics of shadowing a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bel

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who've shadowed doctors in hospital settings, what exactly are the logistics in doing so? Is it absolutely necessary to go through the Volunteer Office, for example? Or do you suppose it's okay to take a somewhat casual, visitor-like position, follow him around, and go from there?

I ask because there are some problems with the volunteer department at the specific hospital I'll be shadowing in, and I'm afraid I won't get officially certified as a volunteer any time soon. The shadowing I was hoping to do is with a really great doctor who's doing work I'm very interested in, so I'd hate for this screw-up to take the opportunity away.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I just went through the doc I shadowed directly... didn't talk to the volunteer office at all.

What about issues regarding patient confidentiality, knowledge of hospital policies, things like that?

And how were you issued an I.D. then, if at all?

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
What about issues regarding patient confidentiality, knowledge of hospital policies, things like that?

Thanks again

It varies drastically by hospital, but neither of the 2 hospitals Ive been to made me become a volunteer or have an ID or anything. I showed up, told someone who I was, they paged or took me to the doctor, end of story. The doc can explain the logistics of the hospital best, you are probably not the first person to shadow him. As far as confidentiality you just sign a piece of paper sometimes, or sign nothing and get told not to talk about anything you see.

Thanks again

At most, the doc had me sign some paper in order to shadow... I didn't really do anything else. I guess technically, you have to do all that, but the docs I shadowed didn't seem to care

My shadowing experience at the hospital required about 20 pages of paperwork and I am not sure who it went through- the doctor I shadowed pushed for it and set it up for me (she was amazing!) I know it took her about 6 months to get through red tape and even then there were a ton of restrictions- for example I could shadow as much as I wanted for a 2 week period then never again, all physicians I shadowed from that hospital could not write LOR (I was with different people each day to see all sub-specialties; and my general doctor wrote the LOR), and obviously patient confidentiality. Good luck and hopefull yours will be a lot smoother...

but the people in human resources were confused and printed my badge as "Medical Student" so that was a good mistake with the unorganized system lol

oh no no, I'm not concerned about record keeping and all those intricacies. I'm just concerned that I'll be violating some privacy laws by just appearing in front of these patients, without having formally been approved by whatever the powers may be.

go knicks. :p