Logistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TouchofVersed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so January 30 is going to be my first(and hopefully last) attempt at the MCAT. Can anyone who has taken it b4 answer some logistical questions?

-Test is at 8am what time should you wake up to have enough time to shower,eat,get your thoughts together?

-what happens at the test center and how long does it take?

-is it crowded?

-breaks: am i allowed to sit in front of my comp and chill out or do I have to leave?

- can I keep snacks or water bottle next to me?

-headphones: do u get muffs, buds, or NOISE-canceling headphones?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1. It depends on where your center is located. I was unlucky in that regard. My test center was a good 1.5 hours away. I'd aim to get to your center 30 minutes early.

2/3. Again, this varies from center to center. Some centers pack in a large group of people and there is a line for MCAT test takers to get printed. At my center, there was no line and I was able to get started when I got there. Furthermore, some centers may let you take the test early if you get there. Should you have this option, take it. Doing so will provide you with a keyboard sound-free verbal section.

4. You can sit in front of the screen if you want. However, I suggest getting up and about to get your blood flowing again.

5. No. You cannot bring anything into the test area. You will be provided a locker to put your stuff into.

6. Differs from center to center. Mine had these "noise-canceling" headphones that only amplified the sound around me and were very uncomfortable. I tried them and in a few seconds, took them off.

Test is at 8am what time should you wake up to have enough time to shower,eat,get your thoughts together?

Aim to be there 30 minutes early. Getting there earlier means that you can get through the registration near the front of the line. The main benefit of this is that you don't need to worry about people typing loudly on the written section while you are still doing verbal. Additionally, you tend to get out a little earlier.

I would suggest doing a 'dry run' a day or two in advance of your test. Actually drive there and find out where it is and how much time it takes to get there. Don't give yourself any chance to get lost or be late on test day.

As for "noise control", it really depends on your test site. If this is a concern for you, you can phone the test station and ask them what they will be providing.

Good luck with your studying and on the exam!