LOI - is this overkill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muggle911

Non-magical member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I sent a school a combined update/letter of interest before getting an interview, then got the interview and went to it, is it okay to send another letter of interest to them post-interview? Or will that be too much?

Members don't see this ad.

Good question. My 2 cents: unless something changes (some new experience) worthy of another letter, I would really hold back from sending another one. Your interview was the time and place to show interest in the school - you shouldn't need to send (another) LOI to prove that to them. You shouldn't have to keep convincing them post-interview.

it would be OK

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question. My 2 cents: unless something changes (some new experience) worthy of another letter, I would really hold back from sending another one.

i think visiting their med school is enough of a new experience that it warrants sending another letter. i dont think you have anything to loose if you send in another letter.

Make sure it is very specific and focuses on experiences of the interview day and, perhaps, new information you learned.

Also, tie in what you learned from current students (if you talked with any) and how the school is a good fit for you.

If you are just repeating yourself I would not send it and maybe save the ammo in case you are waitlisted- it is up to you.

If I sent a school a combined update/letter of interest before getting an interview, then got the interview and went to it, is it okay to send another letter of interest to them post-interview? Or will that be too much?

A letter of intent got me into Georgetown. You can never show too much interest. Go for it :thumbup:.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'll write a draft and see if it sounds different enough from the pre-interview one I sent.:D