LOI Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trinket123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new member here and I know this is dumb to write a new thread on an old topic with a new twist... oh well :rolleyes:. I had a question regarding a LOI I am preparing to write....

So I am waitlisted at a school in New York. Now as it turns out, my girlfriend of three years has just been placed with Teach For America in New York. I feel compelled to write about this in a letter to try and express my full reason for wanting to be in NY next year.... do you guys think this is too personal and would looked down upon? I feel like it may be a little sketchy to write about rather than the "oh, your school is where I want to be" etc. which may be a little more of a conservative approach.

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think you should mention it ong the primary/secondary apps, but since you're already waitlisted, i don't see why it wouldn't hurt.

josh

As long as it is concise and not in a begger tone I think it is acceptable and very realistic thing to include in a LOI rather than some bs that you found on their website about some fancy shmancy lab you are interested in getting into as soon as you arrive on campus or something along those lines.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as it is concise and not in a begger tone I think it is acceptable and very realistic thing to include in a LOI rather than some bs that you found on their website about some fancy shmancy lab you are interested in getting into as soon as you arrive on campus or something along those lines.

I just thought it was a rather taboo topic. I mean since we aren't married I think the argument is a little weaker than it could be... but I don't know. Maybe I should propose just so I can make a better claim :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Eh, anyone else think this is a bad idea to include info like this in a LOI?

Maybe I should propose just so I can make a better claim :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

AHAHAHA! Don't think you're the only person who's ever had that thought, even only in passing. :D :laugh:

In all seriousness, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. You're stating the conditions of your life. Just write the letter in a tone that expresses your desire to attending XYZ SOM and explains the reasons. Make sure you mention specific things about the school that interest you. If you're uncomfortable mentioning your girlfriend, then don't include it.

I just thought it was a rather taboo topic. I mean since we aren't married I think the argument is a little weaker than it could be... but I don't know. Maybe I should propose just so I can make a better claim :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Eh, anyone else think this is a bad idea to include info like this in a LOI?

i'm actually in the same situation: fiancee going to be in NY, and i'm on waitlists there. i want the schools to know i'm interested specifically in their programs (and not just the city in general), but at the same time it's a significant personal motivation for me right now. i want to remain professional, but this issue has been difficult for me to decide as well.

any more thoughts?

I agree - if you're going to include it, make sure to include why you like the school first, and then add it as an afterthought. You could even say something like "in addition, my girlfriend is currently living in new york, and I feel that I would therefore have a strong support network if attending your school". But phrase it a little better than I did :)

lol, make sure it's your "longtime girlfriend" and not just girlfriend, with whom you are deeply in love with.

tell them that she's pregnant and if they don't grant you admittance then it's all their fault and she'll have to go it alone.

u could say significant other... sometimes i feel the term gf (or bf for that matter) seems a little high school...

tell them that she's pregnant and if they don't grant you admittance then it's all their fault and she'll have to go it alone.

Haha, ya I really need to pick my angle here don't I? Hm... maybe I'll have to steal her birth control :smuggrin::smuggrin: lol j/k and if she ever saw this she would probably kill me.

I sent off the letter and I did call her my 'significant other' actually I was going through the same long debate of whether to call her my gf. I had the same conclusion.... sooo high school. I'll let everyone know if it actually works or if the dean uses it for toilet paper.

Haha, ya I really need to pick my angle here don't I? Hm... maybe I'll have to steal her birth control :smuggrin::smuggrin: lol j/k and if she ever saw this she would probably kill me.

I sent off the letter and I did call her my 'significant other' actually I was going through the same long debate of whether to call her my gf. I had the same conclusion.... sooo high school. I'll let everyone know if it actually works or if the dean uses it for toilet paper.

If the dean uses it for toilet paper, then in a way it has worked.