vivek311r

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Virginia
Status
Hey Guys,

I'm in-state VA and have been holding at VCU since late October. I know that next week the last batch of acceptances will be rolling in, but I am wondering if there's anything I can do now to help my chances (if even by a droplet). Would it be a good idea to call Dr. Heldberg and let her know how much I really want to attend, or should I write a LOI?

I understand how the process works at VCU...how once you're ranked by the adcom your story is done, and all that remains is for you to come off the ranked list. However, are there any last minute (last-ditch) things I can do?

Thanks

Trident

Tempus Fugit
10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
East Coast
Status
Medical Student, Attending Physician
I was wondering the same thing. I wanted to write a letter; but, like you said, there seems to be very little that can be done after you've been ranked. I know at some schools, you can get your rank adjusted by showing interest, but I got the impression that there really isn't anything you can do after the committee decides on your position--and apparently, that is happening today so...I think we just have to see what happens.
good luck :luck:

OP
V

vivek311r

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Virginia
Status
I just spoke to someone at the admissions office and they reminded me of a very important point:

Even though we have all already been ranked by the adcom...Dr. Heldberg makes the final decision as to who gets in (as in, she goes through the ranked list and picks people off).

So this basically means that our fate is in her hands...as dramatic as that may sound.

Good luck!

8-)

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2004
Status
vivek311r said:
I just spoke to someone at the admissions office and they reminded me of a very important point:

Even though we have all already been ranked by the adcom...Dr. Heldberg makes the final decision as to who gets in (as in, she goes through the ranked list and picks people off).

So this basically means that our fate is in her hands...as dramatic as that may sound.

Good luck!
I think that if VCU is your number one choice, you should definitely write them a letter expressing that.

As far as Dr. Heldberg hand picking the acceptees, she mentioned during the information session that all that means is that she will go through the list to make sure the right number of in-state vs out-of-state acceptances are given out. The list that she goes through are the priority scores. But I think even though we are assigned a "permanent" score, letters and updates would still be considered...how could they not be??

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Status
I sent a letter of deep interest (not intent) to Dr. Helberg a couple of weeks ago. How can I confirm she actually received it?

Thanks and good luck!

jeg5q

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2004
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
cam - just email her, she is normally really good about responding to emails. as for the discussion about letters of intent and their effectiveness, i thought about sending one last year while i sat on the waitlist. i never did b/c as far as i could see it really wouldn't help much. i would have to check some of my emails from a year ago, but i may have even asked Dean Heldberg if it would help at all to do so. PM me if you have any questions.