Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Loi

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MErc44, Apr 14, 2004.

1. MErc44

MErc44 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    OK, this is the problem, I have no idea on how to start an LOI. Does someone have an example? I am looking for a way to say that I will attend if I am offered an acceptance without sounding like a fool. It sounds easy but I can't do it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mdforme

mdforme Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Search this forum for this one.... there are lots of examples.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DrJ2B

DrJ2B Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Let me try to give you an example (I gleaned this from elias's post but I cannot find it)

Dear Dean of Admissions,

The purpose of this letter is to inform the Admissions Committee that XXXXXXXX School of Medicine is my top choice. Having completed all of my interviews, I have found XXXXXXX School of Medicine to be the perfect/best fit for me and my interests. If accepted, I will guarantee that I will attend and withdraw from all other schools.

(In the body of the letter you would say what you loved about the school in terms of curriculum, facilities, clinical training, other opportunities like clincal rotations or research abroad. You would also want to mention why the school fits you and you fit the school. Try to cover all areas and relate to them that you really want to go there. )

You may also want to ask to speak to the dean or meet with him/her depending on how willing you are to meet with him/her.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

I hope that helped. I have written a letter of intent so please PM me if you need any more details. Good luck with writing your LOI! :)

4. chintu

chintu Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have a question about loi. I know its meant to be written only at our top choice; but here's my question. What if I am waitlisted at my top choice
    and second choice, but the waitlist at top choice is already ranked and an loi
    wouldn't do any good there. Now I can't rely on my top choice so can I write
    an loi to my second choice? Someone may suggest to wait till getting rejected by top choice and then write an loi to second choice; but what if
    I get rejected by my second choice before my top choice when I didn't even get a chance to write an loi there. I really need to clarify this, so can someone please post any suggestions. :confused:

5. DrJ2B

DrJ2B Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

In terms of ranked waitlists, I have heard of letters of intent still making a difference. Not too many schools have such a rigid waitlist ranking (at least not to my knowledge, someone please correct me if I am wrong). However, I do understand where you are coming from. If an LOI to your top school will truly not work, you may want to consider sending an LOI to your second choice only if you are willing to go to your second choice even if you get into your first choice later on. I think the consensus on LOIs are they although they are not legally binding, they are ethically binding. I would not send a letter of intent unless I was totally sure I would go there if accepted. If you would love to go to your second choice even if accepted at your top choice, then go for it. If not, perhaps you can write a letter of intent to your top choice and a letter of continued interest to your second choice. Perhaps, for both schools (or at least for your top school), you can ask to meet with the dean of admissions. You should definitely look into what the ranked waitlist at your top choice entails. If you mention that it is your top choice, see if that matters. Good luck with your decision. Please PM me if you have any more questions.

6. dookbloo

dookbloo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

merc,
    where are you planning on sending this loi? what are the reasons why you are so high on this school?

7. MErc44

MErc44 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Tulane, it is the best school that gave me a chance and I really enjoyed it there. It felt like a great place to spend four years. Don't know some places just feel right, even though New Orleans is a rough city I liked it alot and there is great clinical training at charity hospital.

8. dookbloo

dookbloo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i hope you get in!