Loma Linda Applicants

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by praying mantis, Nov 4, 2001.

1. praying mantis

praying mantis Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

How many of you are applying here? How do you think the religous affiliation will affect students that are not Seventh-Day Adventists? Also, if you are a Seventh-Day Adventists, would you please explain their religous beliefs and expectations of students?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm mildly concerned about being ardently Catholic considering the SDA church was founded at least partially on an anti-Catholic basis, but I also know that there has been more dialogue between the SDA and Catholic Church than with pretty much any other Protestant religion, so that's hopeful. I REALLY want to stay in CA and I am interested in a Christian education, so we'll see how that goes.

4. DocJ

DocJ Member
    7+ Year Member

Hundreds of Brigham Young students apply to Loma Linda every year and not one ever gets accepted. My bro had a 40 MCAT and a 4.0 GPA and received a full scholarship to Wash U St. Louis--and Loma Linda didn't even offer him an interview.

5. Otomakan

Otomakan Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm applying to LLU as a Christian (nonSDA) and am also concerned about my chances. From what I understand about the SDA church, it's pretty similar to most other evangelical Christian churches on the surface (except of course services on Saturday). Once you start digging though, you'll find some theological differences, especially concerning "end-time" events and "life after death." While I think these things are important to understand, I seriously doubt if those issues will be an integral part of the med-school curriculum there. A good understanding of the Christian worldview and how that applies to your life would be plenty I think.

Hope this helps!

6. Otomakan

Otomakan Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Sorry, I meant to post this link with my last message, but here it is anyway. It's the SDA National homepage.
    http://www.adventist.org/

7. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Wow....I'm more concerned now that I know about the BYU applicants.

8. Otomakan

Otomakan Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wouldn't worry, there are a LOT of fundamental differences between Christian and Mormon theology, despite what you may hear from the LDS church. I think LLU's rejection of BYU students reflects this concern. But I agree in that it is revealing of a school's principles when it will turn down such a (seemingly) highly qualified applicant...

9. DocJ

DocJ Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't want to start a religious debate here, but since when are Mormons not Christian?

10. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't care so much about their belief structure as much as Loma Linda NEVER having accepted one from BYU! That's really, really odd and doesn't bode well for me being Catholic. Does anyone have any good news about this school?

11. English Chick

English Chick Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree that this is neither the time nor the place to have a serious theological debate, but ... all major Protestant denominations reject the LDS contention that Mormons are Christians. I beleive the Protestant leadership would argue that to be a Christian, one must accept the divinity of Jesus Christ; all other points of doctrine may perhaps be issues for lively and loving debate, but not that one. Not sure where the Catholics come down on this issue. I do not mean to insult my Mormon brothers and sisters; I respect your faith, but it must be admitted that there are substantial theological differences between the LDS church and mainline Protestantism.

Back on topic, I'm an Episcopalian, and I did apply to LLU, but I'm starting to wonder if that was a good idea. I got the secondary in August and sent it right back, but I haven't heard anything yet. Are they interviewing yet? One more question: how did you non-SDA people answer the question about drinking/smoking/etc.? That was tough ...

12. DocJ

DocJ Member
    7+ Year Member

I have only seen statistics from the last three or four years on BYU applicants to Loma Linda. I can tell you that BYU applicants get into all the top schools into the country every year. I think it's quite common for people to have a more positive attitude toward Catholicism. (Our friend Otomakan is a prime example of this.)

Hopefully they won't take the religion issue into account, but I guess that's their right as a private institution. :(

Otomakan: Thanks for your expertise on Mormonism. Go read some more anti-Mormon trash on the internet.

Since when do Mormons reject the divinity of Jesus Christ? It's the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints!!! Mormons regard him as God. Does that count as divinity? The problem with you people is that you learn about Mormonism from totally unreliable sources. If you want to know what Mormons believe, ask a Mormon.

Please don't propogate this BS that you're speaking. It makes me sick.

Trust me. I am a Mormon, and Mormons believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ. I don't know why I even waste my time trying to tell you this, though, because you still won't believe me.

13. English Chick

7+ Year Member

First, I owe you an apology for upsetting you so thoroughly and so unintenionally. My information regarding the Mormon position on Christ's divinity comes from two Mormon friends of mine, both of whom I asked directly, "Does your church teach the divinity of Jesus?"

Both looked me in the eye and answered, "No."

It seems they were either misinformed, or did not understand my question. Either way, I take full responsibility for my post. Again, I am sorry to have offended you so deeply.

I guess you were right about this not being a good medium for a religious conversation.

Anyway, I have a midterm to study for, so I better hit it. Goodnight, everyone.

14. DocJ

DocJ Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, that's ok! It's hard to tell a person's tone when conversing on a bulletin board. I really appreciate your apology. Those Mormon friends of yours must be sort of clueless, though. :) Peace. :)

15. Otomakan

Otomakan Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I've got a question re: LLU's 2ndary... do those evaluation included in their packet go to the people writing us letters of rec, or are they meant to go to additional folks?

16. English Chick

7+ Year Member

Hey, DocJ ... would you mind if I emailed you? I have some (honest and serious) questions regarding your church and your faith, and I'm interested in what you have to say.

17. DocJ

DocJ Member
    7+ Year Member

English Chick: Sure, feel free to email me. :)