Loma Linda Application Fineprint??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmbyao

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm filling out the Loma Linda secondary now. I am wondering now and hesitate if I should even submit the application at all. Does anybody know that we have to believe in Christianity for them to consider accepting us? Here's the only relevant quote I found on MSAR and their website:

"The SOM is owned and operated by the Seventh-day Adventist Church; therefore, preference for admission is given to members of this church. However, it is a firm policy of the Admissions Committee to admit a number of nonchurch-related applicants who have demonstrated a strong commitment to Christian principles. No candidate is accepted on the basis of religious affiliation alone."

So I guess the thing is that I really do not have any religious beliefs. But I do agree and in fact love the Loma Linda's philosophy in medicine because they seem to really focus on the humanistic and ethical aspect of medicine (I made sure I stated this in my 2ndary.) Although the last sentence of the above quote says "no candidate is ACCEPTED on the basis of religious affiliation alone", I wonder if the other half of the statement "no candidate is REJECTED on the basis of religious affiliation alone" holds true.
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated... anyone?!

Members don't see this ad.

I read their statement as saying that they'll basically reject non-Christian or Christian non-devout applicants. However, being SDA or an otherwise devout Christian is not enough to gain admission without other credentials. From what I've seen of their secondary, it seems like you have to be religiously-involved in some way to even complete it because doesn't it ask about your church involvement. I guess you technically don't have to be Christian to "demonstrate a strong commitment to Christian principles," but I'm having trouble thinking of a scenario where a non-Christian would pass that test.

If you like the school, fill out the secondary, but I think your chances of admission are pretty slim based on your religious feelings.

tmbyao said:
Although the last sentence of the above quote says "no candidate is ACCEPTED on the basis of religious affiliation alone", I wonder if the other half of the statement "no candidate is REJECTED on the basis of religious affiliation alone" holds true.

Your surmise doesn't logically hold true. Just because they don't accept purely on a religious basis doesn't mean they can't reject purely on a religious basis.

From what I heard from people who attend Loma Linda, above 50% of medical students there are members of SDA church. The rest of them are some kind of christians. Only very few or non are of other religions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for replying. I'm going to submit it today and see what happens. :cool: