wessto

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
31
0
Redlands, CA
todd.wesslen.net
Status
Might as well start one off. I'll be at Loma Linda this fall. Let's have a thread to discuss LLU related topics between now and then!
 

DREDAY

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
619
15
Status
wessto said:
Might as well start one off. I'll be at Loma Linda this fall. Let's have a thread to discuss LLU related topics between now and then!
I'm thinking i might be going to loma linda although i am still undecided. If I go there I really like all the traveling we will be doing on those abroad missions. I am planning on going on one this winter break.
 
OP
W

wessto

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
31
0
Redlands, CA
todd.wesslen.net
Status
DREDAY said:
I'm thinking i might be going to loma linda although i am still undecided. If I go there I really like all the traveling we will be doing on those abroad missions. I am planning on going on one this winter break.
I plan on going on as many as possible. I can't think of a better way to squeeze experience, vacation, and seeing the world into one activity.
 

DREDAY

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
619
15
Status
wessto said:
I plan on going on as many as possible. I can't think of a better way to squeeze experience, vacation, and seeing the world into one activity.

i agree. it sounds like an awesome experience. Have you looked into living arrangements?
 

ecrdoubles15

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
215
0
Status
yup, it looks like loma linda for me too. although i am waiting for one more important school's decision, i love what loma linda has to offer. as for living arrangements, I am on the waitlaist for that complex that is on their housing website. it is really cheap, it says only 700 for 12 weeks so about 200 per month. i dont know if that can be right, but if it is then good for us.

anyways, i am just curious. but what religion are you guys that are going, SDA? im christian, but not really religious. laters.
 

DREDAY

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
619
15
Status
ecrdoubles15 said:
yup, it looks like loma linda for me too. although i am waiting for one more important school's decision, i love what loma linda has to offer. as for living arrangements, I am on the waitlaist for that complex that is on their housing website. it is really cheap, it says only 700 for 12 weeks so about 200 per month. i dont know if that can be right, but if it is then good for us.

anyways, i am just curious. but what religion are you guys that are going, SDA? im christian, but not really religious. laters.
I am catholic, but also not really religious. What school are you waiting on?
 

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
581
2
38
out fighting foo
Status
I was just thinking earlier today we should start this thread - there's so many other LLU threads right now so this should get them all into one. I'm a Latter-Day Saint, aka mormon :D ! and I guess you could say I'm pretty religious.

What else can you tell us about the housing thing, ecrdoubles? $200/month is great but I'd like to have either my own apartment or at least my own room and would prefer to live off campus and maybe in a neighboring city, but it wouldn't hurt to get on that waiting list while I decide. Most studio apartments in Colton or Redlands that I've been able to find on the internet go for about $530/month minimum.
 

ecrdoubles15

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
215
0
Status
DREDAY said:
I am catholic, but also not really religious. What school are you waiting on?
oh, im waiting for UCSF but right now it looks like loma linda. so far it looks like from the people who responded about their religion, 0 out of 3 are SDA.
 

ecrdoubles15

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
215
0
Status
USUaggie said:
I was just thinking earlier today we should start this thread - there's so many other LLU threads right now so this should get them all into one. I'm a Latter-Day Saint, aka mormon :D ! and I guess you could say I'm pretty religious.

What else can you tell us about the housing thing, ecrdoubles? $200/month is great but I'd like to have either my own apartment or at least my own room and would prefer to live off campus and maybe in a neighboring city, but it wouldn't hurt to get on that waiting list while I decide. Most studio apartments in Colton or Redlands that I've been able to find on the internet go for about $530/month minimum.
i only know about the campus housing and they are apartment-likes places (kitchen, living room, bathroom etc.) The first year you ahve to room with someone but after that you can try to get a single. laters
 
OP
W

wessto

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
31
0
Redlands, CA
todd.wesslen.net
Status
ecrdoubles15 said:
i only know about the campus housing and they are apartment-likes places (kitchen, living room, bathroom etc.) The first year you ahve to room with someone but after that you can try to get a single. laters
I own a home in redlands so I have not looked into housing much lately. Other than the student housing on the website, there are several options for apartments: Goodmanor apartments (3 blocks from school), Oasis apartments (1 mile from school), Redlands Lawn and Tennis (5 miles from school). These are 3 of the three nicest apartment complexes in the area. Goodmanor is the cheapest and closest, but it is hard to get in. You have to get on a waitlist early, or know of someone leaving who can say they want you to have their spot. Oasis and Redlands L&T are both spendy (not sure how much, but a couple of years ago they were in the $1300/month range). All three complexes offer up to 2bd/2br models. I lived in goodmanor in 2000-2002 and paid around 700/month. I know its gone up since then and is probably 800-900/month now.

All that being said, there are probably a dozen or so more apartment complexes around within a 5 mile range for various prices.

Also, anyone interested should check out the trading post http://www.llu.edu/news/tp/. There are often advertisements in there for housing / roomates, etc.

As far as buying a house goes, its pretty crazy here right now. You can't even start to look at stuff for less than I would say around $250K, and that is most likely in a so-so area and not the nicest of houses. I know right in loma linda the prices are extra inflated because people know med/dent students will pay to live there. A friend of mine wanted to get a loan to buy a house a block or two from the medical center and couldn't get it because the price was so much more than what the house was appraised for.

Anyway, hope this is helpful to someone.
 

ecrdoubles15

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
215
0
Status
what are some of you guys ages when you are going to enter dental school?
im 22.
 

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
581
2
38
out fighting foo
Status
Hey here's another "getting to know you" question - one thing I thought was really cool was that the class profile showed students coming from all over the country, so even though the school isn't looked upon as having "diversity" I think it will be fun making friends from all over. So, where y'all from?
 

ecrdoubles15

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
215
0
Status
i am from los angeles, CA (valley boy)
 

jonnytight

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
161
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
WOW, DREDAY.....your post was before 6am (I know where you live!!!, hahaha) You must be a VERY dedicated SDNer....Extreme addiction, you couldnt wait to get on SDN on a Saturday morning huh?

BTW, Im living in Beverly Hills right now, but originally from Silicone Valley (San Jose)!!!

DREDAY said:
good ol' san dimas.
 
OP
W

wessto

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
31
0
Redlands, CA
todd.wesslen.net
Status
jonnytight said:
WOW, DREDAY.....your post was before 6am (I know where you live!!!, hahaha) You must be a VERY dedicated SDNer....Extreme addiction, you couldnt wait to get on SDN on a Saturday morning huh?

BTW, Im living in Beverly Hills right now, but originally from Silicone Valley (San Jose)!!!

I'm 28 and live in Redlands, CA
 

jjdaddy

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2003
55
0
47
GA
Visit site
Status
Hey, aggie, did you know the president of class of 2008 is a Mormon?
I think you'll love it here at LLU. Everyone, I mean everyone is sooo friendly.
 

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
581
2
38
out fighting foo
Status
That's cool, I didn't know that. I looked on last years incoming students info and there was one kid from BYU but nobody from the other Utah schools, whereas every other school I interviewed at had about 10 or more Utahns per class. I'm really excited about moving down there though. When do you guys suggest I go down and apartment shop? I plan on moving about the beginning of September.
 

CaliforniaBound

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
109
5
Status
Hey guys!

Just thought i would say hello! i was accepted into the medical program at LLU for this fall. Even though we won't be classmates...i'm sure i'll see all of you around campus! Only 4 more months...it's super exciting! :)
 
OP
W

wessto

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
31
0
Redlands, CA
todd.wesslen.net
Status
Just wondering if anyone has received any more information or instructions from LLU about what the next steps are. I called several weeks ago and they said we should be receiving another info packet about now. I have yet to see anything else. I got my financial aid packet finished a while ago and have been waiting to hear from them regarding more formal starting dates, computer details, etc. etc.

Just curious if anyone else has heard anything.
 

ecrdoubles15

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
215
0
Status
wessto said:
Just wondering if anyone has received any more information or instructions from LLU about what the next steps are. I called several weeks ago and they said we should be receiving another info packet about now. I have yet to see anything else. I got my financial aid packet finished a while ago and have been waiting to hear from them regarding more formal starting dates, computer details, etc. etc.

Just curious if anyone else has heard anything.
all they said is that we should receive something soon. keep me posted if you receive or hear anything. thanks.
 

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
581
2
38
out fighting foo
Status
-so I've been spending some time at forrent.com and 101apartments.com. Is there anywhere you guys recommend living? Within 10 miles I get results from Redlands, Colton, Fontana, Highland, Rialto, Riverside, Moreno Valley, and San Bernadino. Is the traffic especially good or bad between any of these places and our beloved school? Crime rate? Rough neighborhoods? College communities? Fun areas? Let me know what you guys recommend - I'll be headed out there in a week for a cousin's wedding and I'll probably take a day to apartment hunt.
 

ecrdoubles15

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
215
0
Status
you guys, wait on buying a computer because i found that they do want us to buy a certain laptop. all they know right now is that it is going to be a DELL but they said they will send us more info soon.
 

LLU2004gradND

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
8
0
Status
For those of you looking for places to live....

My first year in school my wife and I lived at the Oasis in Loma Linda, paid $875/mo for 2 bed/2.5 bath. The place was clean and we loved the little community. However, they upped the rent at the end of the year (this was 2001) to $935. So I bet it is more now. We found a 2 bed/1 bath duplex for $650, which was a steal. We lived there the other 3 years of school.

The homes close to campus for the most part are older and their condition varies greatly. A lot of landlords don't do much b/c they know people want to live close to school. If you are looking to live outside of Loma Linda, Redlands has some very nice areas, and you don't have to take a freeway to school. Riverside also has some nice areas, some places you can get to school on back roads, but the freeways are jammed in the mornings (the 60 / 215 interchange is a mess, maybe by now it is better). San Bernardino has the reputation of being the meth capital of the US, so there you go. There are some nice neighborhoods in SB (north SB?) but you have to hunt for them. Colton has some nicer areas but some rough areas as well. Anything farther west like Rialto / Fontana, the traffic isn't too bad but you have to be willing to commute.

Just north of the 10 freeway in San Bernardino (about 2 miles from the school) is a street called Hospitality Lane, it has every chain restaurant, Costco, Sam's Club, Best Buy, etc. all packed into one area. Very convenient. You would think most people head that direction for lunch. If you can, avoid heading north on Anderson towards SB during lunch hour. The intersection of Anderson/Redlands Blvd is one of the worst designs I have ever seen, avoid that intersection at all costs. Hear me now and believe me later, I tell you. We would usually head south on Anderson and then hit Barton road in either direction if we wanted fast food. There are no fast food places in walking distance, and the hospital food is OK if you are a vegetarian (no meat served).

A funny story about a guy in our class: taking charts from the school is a BIG no-no, a $200 fine. So one day he decides he needs to take one home to do some work. He lives across the street from the hospital, and the chart is under his shirt. Instead of taking a detour, he walks right by the guard shack in front of the hospital. The guard stops him and asks what is under the shirt. He says "Nothing," then "some papers." The guard asks to see the papers. He says he can't show them. The guard asks why, and he says,"They're sensitive to light." Needless to say, he coughed up some $$ that day. Moral of the story....yeah.
 
OP
W

wessto

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
31
0
Redlands, CA
todd.wesslen.net
Status
USUaggie said:
-so I've been spending some time at forrent.com and 101apartments.com. Is there anywhere you guys recommend living? Within 10 miles I get results from Redlands, Colton, Fontana, Highland, Rialto, Riverside, Moreno Valley, and San Bernadino. Is the traffic especially good or bad between any of these places and our beloved school? Crime rate? Rough neighborhoods? College communities? Fun areas? Let me know what you guys recommend - I'll be headed out there in a week for a cousin's wedding and I'll probably take a day to apartment hunt.
Redlands and Colton are probably the best options if not right in Loma Linda. Redlands would be my suggestion over colton for the quality of the city and nearby shops/amenities. Both can provide non-freeway commutes but barton can still get clogged during the 5:00ish hours.

Fontana, Highland, Rialto, and Riverside would be freeway commutes with bad traffic at times. There are back roads no doubt to all of them but most people take freeway. Moreno Valley is actually not too bad, but there is basically one route through san timeteo canyon to get there and everyone uses it. The cost of living there is most likely lower than Redlands.

Redlands also is home to the University of Redlands which is known for its business school. It is a nice campus with a large park. Cal State San Bernardino is in the north west corner of the valley and the University of California at Riverside is in Riverside.

San Bernardino, Fontana, and Rialto are most likely the least desireable IMHO as far as crime and rough neighborhoods are concerned.
 
OP
W

wessto

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
31
0
Redlands, CA
todd.wesslen.net
Status
wessto said:
Redlands and Colton are probably the best options if not right in Loma Linda. Redlands would be my suggestion over colton for the quality of the city and nearby shops/amenities. Both can provide non-freeway commutes but barton can still get clogged during the 5:00ish hours.

Fontana, Highland, Rialto, and Riverside would be freeway commutes with bad traffic at times. There are back roads no doubt to all of them but most people take freeway. Moreno Valley is actually not too bad, but there is basically one route through san timeteo canyon to get there and everyone uses it. The cost of living there is most likely lower than Redlands.

Redlands also is home to the University of Redlands which is known for its business school. It is a nice campus with a large park. Cal State San Bernardino is in the north west corner of the valley and the University of California at Riverside is in Riverside.

San Bernardino, Fontana, and Rialto are most likely the least desireable IMHO as far as crime and rough neighborhoods are concerned.

One thing I forgot to mention was the new shopping center north of I-10 in Redlands Between Alabama and Tennesee Blvds. There is a Macaroni Grill, Sport Chalet, Barnes and Noble, Target, Starbucks, Coldstone, Jamba Juice, and other chain stores. It is a new addition to the area that is pretty popular at the moment.

Downtown Redlands is charming. They have a market night every thursday night where you can buy locally grown produce and goods. Redlands has a historical district with some really old homes. People who live in redlands are proud of their community and consequently there is always a lot of community stuff going on.

Redlands Bowl is right downtown and they have a variety of musical/theatrical performances every summer. The redlands public library "smiley library" is a great place to study and offers free wifi internet (or use the computers there if you have a library card which is free to redlands residents)

The hills between redlands and loma linda are great for mountain biking and there are alot of great road biking routes around also. Redlands is a popular place to road bike and hosts the annual Redlands classic - a professional bicycling event which happens in april.

Can't think of much else at the moment. I guess i'm just babbling.
 

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
581
2
38
out fighting foo
Status
Hey I appreciate the babbling. As soon as I'm done with finals I'll probably spend several more hours looking on-line and figure out which ones I want to check out when I'm down there. Thanks
 

tw2tiepie

New Member
10+ Year Member
May 6, 2005
3
0
Status
hello, i JUST saw this thread and thought i'd drop a line since i'll be attending loma linda dental this fall as well~
my name is claire, age 24, catholic gurl from the bay area and have applied for on-campus housing at llu..
i haven't really received anything in the mail, but everytime i call them, they say every notice we receive should be electronical (i.e. email).. so not really sure watz up w/ that..
anywayz, nice to meet u all and can't wait to see u guyz in person in several months~ :)
 

Thaxil

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2003
547
1
41
myrtle Beach, SC
Visit site
Status
Dentist
Since I lived in the San Bernardino Valley area most of my life, I can provide some added insight to the post about communities surrounding LLU. One very nice, low crime area and modest rents is in the small town of Grand Terrace. GT is just a few mins from LLU and lots of Fast food and junk like that down the hill. Also, look into areas surrounding UCR; the area is crowed with tons of young singles. There are lots of bars, starbucks, and places to eat. However, the commute to LLU will most likely take you 25 to 35 mins; plus the added expense in rent. I would avoid any apt. in Rialto! I seen drivebys and murders there. San Bernardino – lots of drugies and some dangerous areas around Former Norton Air Force Base, and near Downtown.
 
OP
W

wessto

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
31
0
Redlands, CA
todd.wesslen.net
Status
ecrdoubles15 said:
you guys, wait on buying a computer because i found that they do want us to buy a certain laptop. all they know right now is that it is going to be a DELL but they said they will send us more info soon.
I have received two updates from loma linda. The first was one dedicated to financial aid and it outlined what you need to do to apply, etc. The second was bigger and just arrived today. It had much more information in it including a handbook, academic calendar, eye exam form, medical form, tooth collection form, and an informational sheet describing things such as dress code, computer requirements, instrumentation memorandum (must buy new instruments issued by school, not used) and some other stuff. You are also required to take the myers briggs survey and send it back in. Everything is due back at the school august 1 so no big rush.

As already rumored, they are requiring a specific DELL notebook with more information to come.
 

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
581
2
38
out fighting foo
Status
BUMP! So what's up with you guys? I'm just chillin at my undergrad, picking up a few more credits so I can graduate in august. I just had a big knee surgery but I should be walking in July and maybe playing sports again next spring. I tried looking for LLU intramural sports on the web but they didn't really have anything that sounded that cool. Some of the schools I interviewed at have a tradition of each dental class putting up a flag football team and it's a huge rivalry among them. Anything like that at LLU?
Looks like I'll have to get a new wardrobe for the dresscode - they probably frown on cargo's but do you think khaki's from Old Navy pass as slacks?
 

Darby_O'Gill

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2005
83
0
Status
Thaxil said:
Since I lived in the San Bernardino Valley area most of my life, I can provide some added insight to the post about communities surrounding LLU. One very nice, low crime area and modest rents is in the small town of Grand Terrace. GT is just a few mins from LLU and lots of Fast food and junk like that down the hill. Also, look into areas surrounding UCR; the area is crowed with tons of young singles. There are lots of bars, starbucks, and places to eat. However, the commute to LLU will most likely take you 25 to 35 mins; plus the added expense in rent. I would avoid any apt. in Rialto! I seen drivebys and murders there. San Bernardino – lots of drugies and some dangerous areas around Former Norton Air Force Base, and near Downtown.
Agreed. Avoid Rialto, San Bernardino, and Fontana if you love your family. It would be worth spending extra cash to be in Redlands or Loma Linda. Seriously, even though you'll pay more, your experience will be 100x's better.
 
OP
W

wessto

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
31
0
Redlands, CA
todd.wesslen.net
Status
USUaggie said:
BUMP! So what's up with you guys? I'm just chillin at my undergrad, picking up a few more credits so I can graduate in august. I just had a big knee surgery but I should be walking in July and maybe playing sports again next spring. I tried looking for LLU intramural sports on the web but they didn't really have anything that sounded that cool. Some of the schools I interviewed at have a tradition of each dental class putting up a flag football team and it's a huge rivalry among them. Anything like that at LLU?
Looks like I'll have to get a new wardrobe for the dresscode - they probably frown on cargo's but do you think khaki's from Old Navy pass as slacks?
There are intramurals for all sports. My buddies in D-school now seem to play on dental class teams in most cases, with some of them playing on multiple teams when possible. Sorry about your knee. How'd you injure it?
 

tw2tiepie

New Member
10+ Year Member
May 6, 2005
3
0
Status
yea i've been wondering for a long time.. do any of u guyz know what the skool mascot is for LLU?
 

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 22, 2004
1,285
1
Status
hello, for those of you who are attending LLU, can you help me out?

I tried to look for information regarding LOR requirement for Loma Linda, but couldn't find it. how many LOR must come from a science professor? Is it 1 professor, 1 church pastor, and 1 community member/dentist?
 

ecrdoubles15

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
215
0
Status
hey guys, yeah i am totally game for joining multiple intramural teams at LLU. so if any get more info about that, let me know. thanks.
 

Darby_O'Gill

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2005
83
0
Status
Like the last guy said, would the future Loma Linda students post their stats so we can see what LLU is looking for?
 

janygb143

llusd co2008
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2004
24
1
Status
Dental Student
Darby_O'Gill said:
isn't it a panther or something?
No mascot, I'm afraid...

Congratulations to everyone on getting accepted! Any questions, please let me know, I'll do my best to answer 'em... Since IT'S SUMMER TIME !!!! ... and I'll have nothing better to do :)

-JY
Class of 2008 (D2!!!! So exciting:))
 

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
581
2
38
out fighting foo
Status
Mascot - I decided a while back it was the ninja pirates!

Knee - I didn't really injure it, I just have always had difficulties and most recently was missing some cartlige so they did a bone transplant (from a dead guy!) on my lateral condile

Stats - 3.75 GPA (3.6 science), DAT 20/19/19, Lots of volunteer and leadership with Habitat for Humanity, Some research, minimal shadowing.

LOR's - they give you the info in the secondary apps, I think it was three - one dentist, one boss, and one ecclesiastical leader.

Question - How strict are they with the dress code and how nice do our slacks have to be? Ideally I'd love to spend the whole 4 years in basketball shorts but that's probably not happening so I guess I'll just settle for some comfy slacks. Do you have to shave every day (if your a guy)?
 

montypython

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
63
0
CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey guys,

I have a housing proposition for you all. I am an incoming med student and living with a couple of med students from the class of 2008 next year in a big, yet affordable house, across the street from the medical center and we're looking for two more roommates. We have one single room available with its own entrance, kitchenette, and storage/office on the side of the house and one large double room available inside the main house. We're three laid back guys that enjoy watching sports, movies, and playing video games in our down time. We also have a huge backyard that we plan to hold BBQ's in and possibly paint ball wars. The house is off of campus street, overlooking the medical center and a 5-10 minute walk from the lecture halls. PM me ASAP if you are interested because my roommates are also looking for people in their class as well. I posted this on the pre-allo forum but we're open to rooming with a dental student as well.
 

dentallover15

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
120
0
Visit site
Status
I read somewhere that you need a letter of recommendation from a church leader of some sort....is this rumor true? What if you're not Christian?