Loma Linda Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatormanade

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten an interview from Loma Linda or heard anything from them?

Members don't see this ad.

Isnt it right near the fire areas of SoCal?

Members don't see this ad :)
they do not start sending out interviews until november

What? The fire only burns minorities?
No, but they're actually evacuated and happy at their relief shelters compared to the people who went to the stadiums used as shelter from Katrina. Catered gourmet food? Carnivals for the kids? Volunteer teachers? Club rooms for the elderly? Ain't too shabby.

No, but they're actually evacuated and happy at their relief shelters compared to the people who went to the stadiums used as shelter from Katrina. Catered gourmet food? Carnivals for the kids? Volunteer teachers? Club rooms for the elderly? Ain't too shabby.

Oh, okay. I thought your comment was somehow related to the implication that there was a delay due to the fires. My bad.

Oh, okay. I thought your comment was somehow related to the implication that there was a delay due to the fires. My bad.
No, no. Back on topic, though, Loma Linda's been slow in past cycles too so I'd be patient.

And by the way... looking at a map, I never knew how close Loma Linda is to Riverside--or that there was a major town even more inland than Riverside.

No, no. Back on topic, though, Loma Linda's been slow in past cycles too so I'd be patient.

And by the way... looking at a map, I never knew how close Loma Linda is to Riverside--or that there was a major town even more inland than Riverside.

I wouldn't call Loma Linda a major town. :)

They are very slow especially considering that they don't get that many completed applications. They only get about 3500 application and a ton of people don't complete their apps once they learn more about the school and see how long the secondary is.

I wouldn't call Loma Linda a major town. :)

They are very slow especially considering that they don't get that many completed applications. They only get about 3500 application and a ton of people don't complete their apps once they learn more about the school and see how long the secondary is.
The secondary wasn't too long. I'd say that the small number of applicants would mean better odds for us but the fact that agnostic throws a wrench in the works.

The secondary wasn't too long. I'd say that the small number of applicants would mean better odds for us but the fact that agnostic throws a wrench in the works.

Did you say you were agnostic on your secondary? If so, you are dead to them.

Did you say you were agnostic on your secondary? If so, you are dead to them.
I did. I felt that full disclosure up-front would be better than getting invited for an interview and letting them find out then and there that I wasted their time. It's not like it'll be my only rejection this year!! High fiv--:(

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine from work has an interview scheduled for the end of the month (he's SDA). I haven't heard anything (I'm not SDA). Oh, and I had my application completed about two months before him.

sounds like LLU is a racist SOB school. An yeah, I am applying there.

Seems to me that this is not an issue of race. Katrina was a problem because of bad local leadership and everyone sitting on their hands waiting for federal government intervention. SoCal seems to have better local organization. To my understanding, white people aren't to blame in this instance.

As for Loma Linda, haven't they always been slow? I was complete a month ago, haven't heard anything and if I remember right, i was told not to expect anything until January at the earliest. I am non-SDA, but I am Christian.

Seems to me that this is not an issue of race. Katrina was a problem because of bad local leadership and everyone sitting on their hands waiting for federal government intervention. SoCal seems to have better local organization. To my understanding, white people aren't to blame in this instance.

As for Loma Linda, haven't they always been slow? I was complete a month ago, haven't heard anything and if I remember right, i was told not to expect anything until January at the earliest. I am non-SDA, but I am Christian.

Yeah, non-SDA people have a long wait... to get an idea, search old threads and read the LLU threads from last year.

I'm not exactly sure when they start interviewing, but they have asked us current 1st years whether we are willing to host interviewees at our homes. I signed up, so hopefully I'll be seeing some of you!

As for the fires, they were pretty close to LLU. The mountains surrounding the area were pretty much hidden by the smoke, but now you can kind of see them...but they are still kind of hidden by the smog :).

Slowest school ever? Should I send an Letter of Interest to be safe? (I'm a marginal applicant 3.2/31)

Slowest school ever? Should I send an Letter of Interest to be safe? (I'm a marginal applicant 3.2/31)
It wouldn't hurt...but I would first call them to check your status. At my state school last year people reported getting interview invites within 48 hours of checking their status. I did the same and guess what....I had an interview invite the next day. Personally I've given up on LL.

Definitely send one. Unfortunately they seem to like high GPAs so you and I are probably out of luck. I'm going to wait to send a letter until after I get passed over for their first wave of non-SDA interviews. I'm sure they are buried under enough paperwork now. :) Good luck!

Just as a heads up to everyone, some interview dates are coming up. I'm not sure how much info I can tell, so what I will say is that there is 1 date in Nov., 1 in Dec., 2 in Jan., and 3 in Feb. There might be more, but this is all I know about. I hope this helps someone.

Just as a heads up to everyone, some interview dates are coming up. I'm not sure how much info I can tell, so what I will say is that there is 1 date in Nov., 1 in Dec., 2 in Jan., and 3 in Feb. There might be more, but this is all I know about. I hope this helps someone.

Very interesting... Thanks for sharing.

Talk about backloading interview dates. What's the purpose of doing that?

Got my invite by mail today, thank goodness. I am non-SDA, so I'm behind the curve, anyway. I'm calling for an interview date today and I'm very excited. Good luck to everyone!!!:D

Got my invite by mail today, thank goodness. I am non-SDA, so I'm behind the curve, anyway. I'm calling for an interview date today and I'm very excited. Good luck to everyone!!!:D
Stats? if you dont mind

I'm trying very hard to stay anonymous throughout this process. I will tell you that my stats are VERY similar to your own, except I'm older and have a few more years of clinical experience. If you are non-SDA, you probably are still very competitive there. Be sure you are aware of their lifestyle standards (no drinking/smoking, committment to Christian principles, etc.). You have a great app! Good luck!

Congrats! Approximately when were you complete? Good luck!

I'm trying very hard to stay anonymous throughout this process. I will tell you that my stats are VERY similar to your own, except I'm older and have a few more years of clinical experience. If you are non-SDA, you probably are still very competitive there. Be sure you are aware of their lifestyle standards (no drinking/smoking, committment to Christian principles, etc.). You have a great app! Good luck!
Haha Corker, you were reassuring until I saw that your GPA was "VERY similar" to a 3.9+

Why Corker?? Why couldn't you be mediocre?!

Haha Corker, you were reassuring until I saw that your GPA was "VERY similar" to a 3.9+

Why Corker?? Why couldn't you be mediocre?!

I know. Majorly disappointing. To me, this just confirms that they are GPA ****** and so I won't hold my breath waiting for an invite.

First, thank you. I really have never thought of my stats as much better than mediocre. But I have to tell you that LLU is NOT a "number *****" institution. They are very amenable to non-traditional applicants and those with well-rounded applications. A committment to service and Christian principles is much more important than your actual stats, at least in the long run. It is more competitive for non-SDA than SDA, but you have an opportunity to demonstrate your committment to service, etc. in your secondary. If you didn't want to make blatantly religious statements in your primaries because these may be looked on unfavorably by some schools, then the secondary is a great chance to talk about any serious church work or community service you might have done. Hopefully, you really emphasized this in your secondary.

For Utahjazz, I missed that first round of secondary invites in July (don't know why), so I wasn't complete until late August, early September, I think.

Hope that helps. Good luck, you guys. I'm rooting for all of us in this process. And I don't believe ANY of us who aren't 45 MCAT or 4.00 GPA are mediocre. Getting a B in a couple of difficult classes or scoring a 28 on the MCAT is not the measure of who we are. There is so much more to medicine. I hope to have the opportunity to sit on an admissions committee someday so I can be a voice for the students who are going to be great doctors because they CARE, in addition to their competence and ability!:thumbup:

First, thank you. I really have never thought of my stats as much better than mediocre. But I have to tell you that LLU is NOT a "number *****" institution. They are very amenable to non-traditional applicants and those with well-rounded applications. A committment to service and Christian principles is much more important than your actual stats, at least in the long run. It is more competitive for non-SDA than SDA, but you have an opportunity to demonstrate your committment to service, etc. in your secondary. If you didn't want to make blatantly religious statements in your primaries because these may be looked on unfavorably by some schools, then the secondary is a great chance to talk about any serious church work or community service you might have done. Hopefully, you really emphasized this in your secondary.

For Utahjazz, I missed that first round of secondary invites in July (don't know why), so I wasn't complete until late August, early September, I think.

Hope that helps. Good luck, you guys. I'm rooting for all of us in this process. And I don't believe ANY of us who aren't 45 MCAT or 4.00 GPA are mediocre. Getting a B in a couple of difficult classes or scoring a 28 on the MCAT is not the measure of who we are. There is so much more to medicine. I hope to have the opportunity to sit on an admissions committee someday so I can be a voice for the students who are going to be great doctors because they CARE, in addition to their competence and ability!:thumbup:

Congrats! From this post, I think you're the kind of person who should get into med school. You'll do well on the interview. Good :luck:

Congrats! From this post, I think you're the kind of person who should get into med school. You'll do well on the interview. Good :luck:

Thanks again. I hope so.

Thanks for the info. Congrats again... I hope you ace the interview! You definitely sound like you would fit in at Loma Linda. :)

Got my invite by mail today, thank goodness. I am non-SDA, so I'm behind the curve, anyway. I'm calling for an interview date today and I'm very excited. Good luck to everyone!!!:D[/qoute]

You got the invite by snail mail, not by email? I'd better go home early today to check the mailbox :laugh:.

Congrats and good luck!

Oh, I forgot to ask. When was your file marked complete? Thx.

Loma Linda sounds nice... Too bad I just can't buy into this religion thing. There goes my shot of staying in California.

I just looked back into my emails and saw that I wasn't officially complete until very late in September, even though I submitted everything about a third of the way through August. Like I said earlier, I missed the first email of secondary invitations (I guess a lot of people did), so my secondary went in a little late. It took over a month for my rec letters to be processed and be considered "complete". Then my interview invite came just yesterday (so another month and a half for that to be received.)

The other question was if my invite was by snail mail...yes. I think all the invites are by mail.

Thanks again for the encouragement, everyone. I don't post a lot on SDN, but I read a lot of other posts. I am often surprised by how non-supportive some people are here. In fact, many are just plain rude and discouraging. I hope that when my schooling is finished and I am working with colleagues, I find people like the ones on this thread to work with. Those other people who are so condescending to others in this forum will likely act the same way to their patients, and that's a shame.

Good luck to everyone. Please post and let me know how your apps go. Maybe we'll interview on the same day!!!:luck::luck::luck:

Thanks for checking the date Corker. I wasn't complete till mid-October so I have a bit of a wait ahead.

Like you said- One of the reasons I like LLU is because the applicants who are into the school and the LLU students who post here (like DoctaJay) are so incredibly nice and helpful... unlike a lot of the other pre-allo posters. Good luck to you too!

I finished my secondary and submitted the letters (via VE) in mid august and my file was not complete until end of sept.

Btw, does anyone know (maybe DoctaJay?) how many students LLU interviews and how many acceptance letters they hand out each year?

I finished my secondary and submitted the letters (via VE) in mid august and my file was not complete until end of sept.

Btw, does anyone know (maybe DoctaJay?) how many students LLU interviews and how many acceptance letters they hand out each year?

Did you get an invite?

Did you get an invite?
No, not yet. :mad: I camped out by the mailbox the whole day but got no mail. Maybe next week... (j/k)

Hi DoctaJay,
My profile is very similar to yours, and you got 4 MD acceptances. What's your secret? :smuggrin:

LLU is preparing for their accreditation in this upcoming January, so they met with the students to tell us all about it. During that meeting Dr. Werner (Dean of Education or something like that) told us that they received around 4,000 applications, they interviewed over 400 students, and they handed out around 250 acceptances. Around 170 people ended up matriculating. But our class ended up being around 195 because of MD/phDs, post-bac students, and the occasional repeats.

No, not yet. :mad: I camped out by the mailbox the whole day but got no mail. Maybe next week... (j/k)

Hi DoctaJay,
My profile is very similar to yours, and you got 4 MD acceptances. What's your secret? :smuggrin:
Lots of prayer :). But also I didn't apply too widely. I applied to my state school, LLU, the HBCU medical schools, Vandy, and Cincy. In hindsight, I wish I applied to LLU only (some folks in my class did), because I knew early on that the Lord wanted my wife and I here. Its not that clear to everyone, but either way I hope you all end up here. By the time you guys get into your first year the BRAND NEW centennial center will be built where you should have most of your classes.

LLU is preparing for their accreditation in this upcoming January, so they met with the students to tell us all about it. During that meeting Dr. Werner (Dean of Education or something like that) told us that they received around 4,000 applications, they interviewed over 400 students, and they handed out around 250 acceptances. Around 170 people ended up matriculating. But our class ended up being around 195 because of MD/phDs, post-bac students, and the occasional repeats.

How about the number of completed applications? Loma Linda has the most number of people who decide to withdraw pre-secondary that I've seen on MDAPPS.

Is Loma Linda very open and diverse? I know it is conservative so I am worried how they treat minorities.

I'm not sure about how man completed applications there are, but I don't think that mdapps can be a objective view of the applicant pool, nor does it mater how man complete their secondaries. Generally I believe that those that end up applying actually believe in the school's mission which is better than those who apply to Harvard "just to see" if they have a chance.

As for minorities, LLU has at least 13 blacks and 7+ hispanics. the rest of the class is either asian or white. But that is what you'll just about find at any majority school, and I haven't noticed any racism at this level at all.

Lots of prayer :). But also I didn't apply too widely. I applied to my state school, LLU, the HBCU medical schools, Vandy, and Cincy. In hindsight, I wish I applied to LLU only (some folks in my class did), because I knew early on that the Lord wanted my wife and I here. Its not that clear to everyone, but either way I hope you all end up here. By the time you guys get into your first year the BRAND NEW centennial center will be built where you should have most of your classes.

Thanks DoctaJay. You're my hero. Can you pray for me, too? :laugh: