1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Loma Linda my #1 choice

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by dentalbandgeek, Nov 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dentalbandgeek

dentalbandgeek New Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi everyone. Loma Linda is great for giving someone like me an interview. This is my third time applying to dental schools and I have never gotten an interview from schools until this year from Loma Linda. I believe God had a purpose, and maybe He knew I wasn't ready. But I really appreciate Loma Linda for inviting me for the interview. I applied to about 11 schools this year, and doesn't look like I'll get into any other schools. Loma Linda is the only hope at this point and I would be so grateful to all of you if you could pray for me. I believe in the power of prayer and yes, if God has a different purpose for me, help me to see it and accept it. Thank you all of you for your prayers. God Bless you all!!

[Addendum]
    I regret ever posting this msg. I think alot of people have misunderstood my intention. First of all, this msg was intended for fellow Christians. I never asked for criticism or sarcasm from haters. I was hoping for some words of encouragement, instead I attracted a bunch of idiots who like to argue over religion and like to display their stupidity in public.

I asked for your prayers to help me realize God's purpose in my life. If you actually took time to read my post carefully, I also said, "if God has a different purpose for me, help me to see it and accept it". So how in the world did you translate that into, "God let me get into dental school". or "God I want to make lots of money". If your goal of being a dentist is to become a millionaire and be a jerk to everyone around you, be my guest. I would never tell you that you'll go to hell. If you have motivation to acquire wealth and if you're driven to succeed in business, go ahead. I am not going to criticize you with bitter sarcasm. So stop dumping your hatred and bitterness in this post.

Now, why do I want prayer? Because if I do get accepted into dental school, I would know who to thank. For Christians, aren't we to glorify and honor God in everything we do? If I got accepted without a single prayer, would I not give glory to myself? ...thinking it was me who did it all? So, once again, this is how I believe, so I don't need you to tell me that you think otherwise. I am NOT asking for that. So save your breath.

Finally, for those few that responded with respect and care... THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

BTW, are you guys REALLY appying to dental schools? No, really, I'm freakin' serious... are you? because I had more respect for dentists. And stop spilling your intellectual waste all over this post, unless your mom is here to pick up after you. Looks to me like some of you are still in your diapers.

Once again, haters, whiners, debaters need NOT reply.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. phremius

phremius Dentist
    10+ Year Member

good luck, the whole god thing oughta fly well with LL.

4. LadyxJC

LadyxJC Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

congratz on being invited for the interview and good luck!

5. PDizzle

PDizzle PreDents.com
    Partner Organization 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, stick to the "God" thing at your interview! I'm not sure if Jesus himself will come down and help you but the AdComs will love it.

Good luck. :)

6. Audio

Audio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

one time at band camp...

7. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    good luck with the app cycle. i'd pray for you but 1. i dont believe in anything other than basketball and football and 2. god wouldnt have anything to do with your acceptance.

i do think that you'll fit right in though. it'll be a mistake on their part not to accept you.

8. dat_student

dat_student Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Good luck, I'll pray for you and wish you the best of luck

9. Audio

Audio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey, God ignores billions of starving people in Africa, India and China but hey, God sure plays a role in admissions decisions! If you believe God can help you get into dental school, then I say why not trade your acceptance to help let's say...100 children in a third world country survive. That's what I would do...God, I'd trade getting into any dental school if you would help those less fortunate than me!

10. duh?

duh? Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm sure he could get a DMD instead and help thousands more. Very funny Audio.

11. Audio

Audio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

And I'm sure his bank account would be happy too!

See, I don't claim to be a saint and don't link God to something as unimportant as my occupation. I bet these people who believe God plays such a role pray to God to get a good DAT score for example. But I could never ask God for a good score on a test because anytime I start to ask, I feel ashamed and instead wish for the health and happiness of those suffering more than me.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with wanting to be a dentist and having money or anything like that. Everyone has personal hopes and dreams. I respect that. But, to link those hopes and dreams to a divine power when there are millions of people starving is a shameful act. Seriously, just turn on the TV and see all the people living in hell and you should feel ashamed that you ask God to get into dental school.

Look at it this way, you can't just keep asking God for everything. Let's say that you can call on the big guy a few times in your life. Don't do it for little things here and there. If you're qualified, you'll get in. If not, then I hope you don't get in because it's bad for the profession. Save your credit with the big guy to save a loved one's life.

But what heck, I don't know anything. Do what you want. God may exist in the form that the OP believes and I may go straight to hell just cuz I don't worship Jesus or go to church. :( I guess I'll find out.

12. VegasBabyVegas

VegasBabyVegas Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ...uh...your welcome...for my prayers. Amen Brother

13. elderjam

elderjam elderjam
    10+ Year Member

if God immmediately righted every wrong and struck down every corrupt African leader that's starving his people, or forced everyone to give a little of their food to give to those who have none we would suddenly become a bunch of gerbils in cage. never making any decisions on our own or learning anything.

we have choice. now what will you do with your choice...............

14. teefRcool

teefRcool Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

LOL amen to that

15. libratl

libratl OMFS Resident
    10+ Year Member

Hey, if praying is what get you that interview... i'm gonna start praying REAL hard for my acceptances now...

16. PDizzle

PDizzle PreDents.com

Resident [Any Field]
    Everyone that posted on this thread is going to hell! You might as well become a dentist and make a butt load of money and live la vida loca for a while.

17. TimR

TimR Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

actually most people who posted on this thread will probably end up in the telestial kingdom.... just my 2 cents.

18. saycheese

saycheese Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    :)

19. duh?

duh? Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Telestial? Is that a typo or a real word or a slang? pls enlighten me. :(

20. dat_student

5+ Year Member

Some people believe there are three worlds: the telestial, in which they live; the celestial, to which they aspire; and in between them another world, called the terrestrial.

21. Audio

Audio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

except me :p

22. phremius

phremius Dentist
    10+ Year Member

as the great Bill Mahr once said,

"it's not faith, it's a mental disorder." :thumbup: :thumbup:

y'all have fun asking some carpenter that lived 2000 years ago for an acceptance letter, I hear he's on the board of commitees at a lot of D schools.

23. VegasBabyVegas

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

...liar....

24. VegasBabyVegas

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ...yup, telestial your you buddy...

25. Mr.E

Mr.E Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That's simply ad hominem. One could say the same of atheism. "Atheism isn't scientific, it's a mental disorder." Let Bill Mayr try to rationally argue the case that faith is a mental disorder--I suppose he would fail miserably.

26. donkeywhisperer

donkeywhisperer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Geez TimR, you know it's comments like that that make the rest of us mormons look like jacka$$es. I really hope you were being sarcastic. If not then that's just sad man.

27. TimR

TimR Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

what's a mormon? what's a jacka$$?

28. Gulch

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I don't know for sure on the first one, but I'm guessing you're both. So, "you" would most likely be the answer to both questions. BTW, did you take bioethics with Tolman?

29. TimR

TimR Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

30. ECUMuscle

ECUMuscle Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    dentalbandgeek
    good luck...I know where you're coming from. People don't understand He might be using dentistry as a tool for you to witness/help others. Not for personal gratification or the "mulah". There is a reason why it's been a longer road for you to break into the field, but if you know without a shadow of doubt this is your calling, be patient and keep the faith.

2 Thessalonians 3:3-5

31. PDizzle

PDizzle PreDents.com

Resident [Any Field]
    Quick Poll:

If you thought it would work, how many people here would ask Satan for help getting into dental school? And if so, what schools would you think he could get you into?

UNLV?? He's probably in that city 24/7!!

32. oldboy

oldboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm not touching this one with a ten foot pole.

33. VegasBabyVegas

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

...ya TimR...your such an idiot. Now none of us are going to be able to convert our entire dental class...you make us look like such jackasses...I just got off my mission 2 weeks ago and you totally killed the spirit from my life today...Go to Telestial, Beelzebub....

34. VegasBabyVegas

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    ...okay, sorry TimR...please forgive my outrage...blessed are the meek.

John 3:15

35. Audio

Audio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Believe me, if I knew I could have anything from God and that God was listening to my wishes, do you really think I would ask for dental school? Hell no! First I would ask for the health and hapiness of my loved ones, then I'd ask for the same of everyone else. Believe me, I don't need God to grant me a miracle to get into dental school. I took care of that by studying in university so I wouldn't have to ask for a miracle :D

36. oldboy

oldboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

There's no sense in arguing about religion or the actions of "God" with those who subscribe to its fellowship. These people have had the ideals and existence of religion forced into their identities from before they could speak, walk, or think for themselves. It is the fabric of their families, relationships, and motivation. It is only from a neutral point of view that you can step back and truly realize the utter hypocrisy and falsities of religion to which I will not go into for the aforementioned reasoning. I realize that I am angering many people for speaking of them in a less than positive light, but I will argue that what I write is very true. For someone to pray to God so they can get into dental school is laughable. How is God going to grant you acceptance to dental school when for him to do so would entail him having to influence the minds and actions of individuals who may or may not believe in him. If you believe this reasoning to be true than you'd better hope there are no Muslims on the admissions committee (unless your God is Allah). How is it that hundreds and thousands of different religions exist, most of which predate the prevalent one in our society? Are there hundreds of Gods and dieties or is there just one? How is it that logic and reasoning can be surrendered to antiquated uncorroborated stories by otherwise intelligent people. I feel like nowadays there is a tidal wave of religion that is sweeping throughout our society and it pervades all aspects of our lives. From our tax dollars and legislation to what our children learn in school; religion is not and should not be the law of the land for every person.

37. PDizzle

PDizzle PreDents.com

Resident [Any Field]
    Everyone just doesn't grow up in a certain religion. Some convert later in life for all sorts of reasons.

The bottom line for the existence of all religions is to answer unanswerable questions. It's that simple.

Some people, like me, are totally cool going through life with some of the tough questions not being answered. I believe in things like science, statistics, the law of averages, chance and cause and effect. If those still do not answer my questions then those tough questions remain a big, fat "?" til I die. I'm cool with this.

Others need answers like, "Why did my son die of cancer when he was 8 years old?" or "why does my life totally suck balls?" or, "Where do I go when I die?". One of man's biggest fears is the fear of the unknown and all religions were fundementally born because of it. These people want answers so bad they suspend common sense and reason for the warm blanket of religion.

Have you ever tried debating the historical accuracy of the events in the bible with a believer? Its hilarious! Any evidence you provide or statements you say to refute the Bible MUST be worng by definition since it contradicts the "truth" of the Bible! Their universal answer to my queries?...."God did it". How do you argue with that?? I used to go on for hours with people who thought the Bible was a history book but I came to the conclusion that what I am actually doing is trying to take their warm blanket away from them. Why would I do that? So now, I just let them be happy with their answers.

Think about it. If they don't get into dental school then God must have a different plan for them. They are not upset because they obviously weren't "meant" to get in.

What happens if I don't get in? I'm gonna be frig'n pissed off for entire year!! On second thought, I think I might look into some of those religions. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

38. Mr.E

Mr.E Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

For someone who doesn't want to debate the issues, for the aforementioned reasons given above, why ask so many questions? :confused:

39. Audio

Audio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I am proud to be in a profession where we have so many open minded and insightful people :thumbup: Religion is a divider in today's world. We need to unite because we are all human beings. I can't believe certain religious people believe others are going to hell because they don't believe in a prophet. That's a joke. If I'm an African tribes person and have never heard of Jesus and believe in what I've been taught, why should I go to hell? It's garbage to think that and yet so many religious people do. The relationship between God and Man is the most personal relationship out there. That's why I don't believe in organized religion. Organized religion has done a lot more harm than good. It allows the masses to be manipulated easily. Just be a good person, be kind to others and lend a helping hand when you can. You don't need to go to church, temple, or mosque to know this. My parents taught me these values without ever linking them to God and I'm glad because at least I'm not a holier than thou hypocrite!

40. Rezdawg

Rezdawg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Religion is the world's biggest business.

41. JessicaSimpson

JessicaSimpson Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I'd go with Maryland. Its address is 666 Baltimore Street :p

42. jeanniebluebird

7+ Year Member

Why do people believe that God has only 1 minute a day to listen :confused: ? God has no limits, right? SO why would he not have enough time or patience to listen to a prayer about starving people and later have time to listen to a prayer asking for him to guide you to your profession? It may sound selfish, but if you believe in prayer and in God, you would believe that He is in control of your life. Many people of faith believe you should pray without ceasing. That means pray about everything all the time. God will do His will, but he also listens to his children. :)

43. rambo2006

rambo2006 Be a DDS or die trying
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Religion or belief in God and His intervention in our daily lives is not logic based, but is faith based. If you think that you can "convince" "believers" to not believe by logical deduction, your mistaken. Most people wont change their beliefs even if they are ..."logically, proven wrong" or what have you. Thats my 2 cents.

44. EyeAmCommi

EyeAmCommi Los Angeles Smog
    7+ Year Member

Relgion is the greatest destroyer of mankind. It creates wars and suicide bombers.

45. dat_student

5+ Year Member

Instead of attacking the original poster's beliefs please wish him/her luck.

46. flat4

flat4 Mullet Redesigner
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  47. PDizzle

PDizzle PreDents.com

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree. Faith itself is a ridiculous concept. Believe something with absolutely so observable evidence to confrim it. LOL :laugh:

Another poster said that religion has done more bad then good. I'm not so sure about that. It is easy to document the bad that religion has caused the world (ala the Spanish Inquisition, etc) but not so easy to truly see the good that it has brought out in mankind. I tend to think that religion has helped mankind a little more then hurt it, but not by much.

48. VegasBabyVegas

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

...oh ya, I TOTALLy agree...religion is sweeping through our country like an uncontrollable plague brainwashing our youth giving people some sort of meaning to their pathetic lives...oh, and how much of OUR TAXPAYING DOLLARS are being used to print "In GOD we Trust" on our money...what a WASTE!!! You forget that they only reason YOU ARE HERE IN AMERICA is because some people a long time ago wanted to worship GOD as they please...was there another reason?? ....oh, wait, there WASN'T. But take my word with a grain of salt, ...I mean, I'm just another one of those "otherwise intelligent people" you spoke of.

49. oldboy

oldboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Just out of curiosity, for those who believe in creation or intelligent design, how is it possible? How do you refute things such as fossils and carbon dating? I am not attacking anyone, I am just curious as to your logic.

50. PDizzle

PDizzle PreDents.com

Resident [Any Field]
    God put fosils in the ground to test our faith.

51. VegasBabyVegas

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If you have taken anatomy and embryology or anything like that and learned how incredibly perfect the body is...how do you refute there being a Celestial Architect? Oh...they body just is the way it is, because...it just is? I don't think so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.