Loma Linda only for SDA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pranko

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those who say its not true, look at the new statistics for the class entering Fall 08'. http://www.llu.edu/llu/dentistry/admissions/documents/ddsprofile.pdf
75/99 admits are SDA. Based on the #s, if youre SDA you have a 44% chance of getting in, if youre not, you have a 1.2 % chance. Im not here to hate, in fact I loved the school and as a private institution they should do whatever they want. Just wanted to dispell the myth of being a myth that non-SDA have a pooor chance.

Members don't see this ad.

i got accepted and im catholic. i love meat and i drink. but ill be withdrawing soon so be well

yes, as a member of that class, I am well aware that the vast majority of the class are SDA. The majority of the class is also Asian. I am neither, but I got in. In fact it was the only school that offered me a seat and not a waitlist spot.

Really, your chances are just about as good as an out-of-stater applying to a state school, and that's really how you need to look at it. But if you work hard, get good stats (at least the average), show you are committed to service and can respect the mission and basis in SDA faith of the University, you have as good a chance as anybody.

The stats don't lie. three quarters of the class is SDA and there's a large pool of people to choose from for the rest, but it is deceptive of you to imply that there is NO chance for a non-SDA to get in, or that LLU is ONLY for Adventists. So, instead of dispelling a myth, you're perpetuating another.

Members don't see this ad :)
the majority of students that have been accepted so far this cycle are non-SDA I believe.

from what I understand, they accept the most non-SDA applicants early

To those who say its not true, look at the new statistics for the class entering Fall 08'. http://www.llu.edu/llu/dentistry/admissions/documents/ddsprofile.pdf
75/99 admits are SDA. Based on the #s, if youre SDA you have a 44% chance of getting in, if youre not, you have a 1.2 % chance. Im not here to hate, in fact I loved the school and as a private institution they should do whatever they want. Just wanted to dispell the myth of being a myth that non-SDA have a pooor chance.

Are you that naive to think that Loma Linda doesn't accept a majority of its students from the SDA applicant pool? Loma Linda is a PRIVATE SDA school. They could accept only SDAs if they chose to. The school is funded mostly by the SDA church. That said, it would be a silly thing for them not to accpet mostly SDA applicants since they will be the ones donating the largest portion of money to the school supporting its programs (the dental programs and the religios outreach programs).

For anyone here to think otherwise is just plain naive. The school has the right to accept who they want.

Now, this doesn't mean that they do not accept non-SDA applicants. Actually, 25% of the class is a pretty good number of slots available.

the majority of students that have been accepted so far this cycle are non-SDA I believe.

from what I understand, they accept the most non-SDA applicants early

Where do you get this info from? Where do you think that they have accepted mostly non-SDAs this cycle from? Here on SDN?

Are you that naive to think that Loma Linda doesn't accept a majority of its students from the SDA applicant pool? Loma Linda is a PRIVATE SDA school. They could accept only SDAs if they chose to. The school is funded mostly by the SDA church. That said, it would be a silly thing for them not to accpet mostly SDA applicants since they will be the ones donating the largest portion of money to the school supporting its programs (the dental programs and the religios outreach programs).

For anyone here to think otherwise is just plain naive. The school has the right to accept who they want.

Now, this doesn't mean that they do not accept non-SDA applicants. Actually, 25% of the class is a pretty good number of slots available.

Where do you get this info from? Where do you think that they have accepted mostly non-SDAs this cycle from? Here on SDN?
from good sources at the university

from good sources at the university

I believe one of 4 things is going on here regarding your comment "the majority of students that have been accepted so far this cycle are non-SDA I believe.":

1. you mis understood what your 'good sources'.
2. your 'good sources' were wrong
3. you didn't type what you heard
4. I am misunderstanding what you are saying

Personally, I think I understand what you are saying, so i will rule out #4 because Loma Linda is not going to accept a majority of the students as non-SDA. they never have and there is no reason to start now. Now, I do believe that it is very possible that they may have sent out a majority of the non-SDA acceptances for the current cyclewhich will look like there is a higher perentage of non-SDAs accepted this cycle, but this is probably the case because they will save the rest for SDA members who haven't iterviewed yet. but, there is no way that they have accepted a mjority of non-SDAs this cycle.

Are you that illiterate? My whole point was that LLU DOES accept a very disproportionate amount of SDAs. Maybe you should address the other people that replied to my post... If you think 25% is a pretty good number (considering SDAs are a minority) then I suggest you stay out of the politically correct states when you graduate, because your ideas about fairness will bury you. What misleads many people is the belief that being religous will benefit you in getting in to LLU. This is completely wrong and all the atheists that got in can testify here; being SDA is the biggest factor to your getting in...And yes, they have every right to do this and its what makes the school unique (in a good way). In fact, LLU ranks nowhere near the top in the list of schools that practice unfair admissions, and Im not even talking about UCLA ortho or Howard/Meharry.

Are you that illiterate? My whole point was that LLU DOES accept a very disproportionate amount of SDAs. Maybe you should address the other people that replied to my post... If you think 25% is a pretty good number (considering SDAs are a minority) then I suggest you stay out of the politically correct states when you graduate, because your ideas about fairness will bury you. What misleads many people is the belief that being religous will benefit you in getting in to LLU. This is completely wrong and all the atheists that got in can testify here; being SDA is the biggest factor to your getting in...And yes, they have every right to do this and its what makes the school unique (in a good way). In fact, LLU ranks nowhere near the top in the list of schools that practice unfair admissions, and Im not even talking about UCLA ortho or Howard/Meharry.

Illiterate - No. Think about it, would I actually be able to sit at this computer typing out a response to your post? :confused: I understand what you said. My response was to think that you were actually naive enough to actually need those stats to realize this. To most, this is a straight forward fact.

that said, SDAs being a minority when you take religion into consideration has nothing to do with this. It has to do with Loma Linda being a SDA school. If an SDA finded institution wants 75% +/- of their class to be SDA, that is their choice. Any other religion (Jewish, Catholic, etc.) could do the same should they choose and I would support their decision to do the same since they fund the school.

Yes, being an SDA gives you a 40+% chance of getting in - those 75 slots they made available. The other 24 slots can kind of be considered(as someone else mentioned) like an out of state appliicant to a state funded institution. Not many state funded schools offer 24 slots to out of state applicants (in this case non-SDA applicants). So, for a private, religious schools to offer 24 slots that is better than what you will get applying out of state to state funded schools in comparison. You don't usually see the absurd 1.2% acceptance rates for out of staters at most state funded schools because unless you have great stats you will not get in there usually. So, most people are turned away from applying to out of state schools if they are very competative. If as many out of state applicants applied to (let's say and of the 3 Texas schools), I can guarantee you that the 24 slots would not be handed out. So, that is why I feel 24 non-SDA slots are actually pretty good. It is not my fault that so many people choose to apply for those slots, but many people feel that private schools are their only chance of getting in so they still apply because they feel it is their only hope.

As far as all the athiests - only 2 'other' religions were accepted for that cycle. "All the Athiests that got in", well, 2 really isn't that many. But of those 2, they probably got in because they deserved it. LLU doesn't discriminate based on religion. They are biased. they accept their own, but that doesn't mean you don't have a chance of getting in even if you don't believe there is a God.

Now, you also show naiveness thinking that a single comment that you disagree with here shows the way that I think all the time and that could somehow 'bury me' and my practice. My opinions are very broad - conservative and liberal. I don't just stand on one side of the fence. I know I will succeed wherever I set up a practice after I finish my career in the military no matter how what my opinions are.

Yeah, they're a private school, so they can really choose however they want to admit people. They say that religion is a big part of their community, if that is an important factor for them, more power too them. The doctor I worked with was Catholic like me, and she went to LLU and had no problems.

It's just too bad that Creighton doesn't give preferential treatment to Catholics, hehe. ;)

Certainly, preference is given to Adventist applicants, it is the same in all the schools of the university and a major reason why the university was founded over 100 years ago. As far as the budget goes, the school is expected to "pull it's own weight", although certainly supported by the Seventh-Day Adventist church, the majority of the budget by a long, long, long ways is funded by clinic production and tuition. If your interested I'll talk with Mr. Secor and get some accurate percentages. It's interesting how the Adventist connection can work, I personally know of situations where an Adventist applicant was unable to get accepted into Loma Linda (didn't have strong enough #'s) but was accepted to (and attended) a university back east.

I believe one of 4 things is going on here regarding your comment "the majority of students that have been accepted so far this cycle are non-SDA I believe.":

1. you mis understood what your 'good sources'.
2. your 'good sources' were wrong
3. you didn't type what you heard
4. I am misunderstanding what you are saying

Personally, I think I understand what you are saying, so i will rule out #4 because Loma Linda is not going to accept a majority of the students as non-SDA. they never have and there is no reason to start now. Now, I do believe that it is very possible that they may have sent out a majority of the non-SDA acceptances for the current cyclewhich will look like there is a higher perentage of non-SDAs accepted this cycle, but this is probably the case because they will save the rest for SDA members who haven't iterviewed yet. but, there is no way that they have accepted a mjority of non-SDAs this cycle.
I think you misunderstood my comment.

I was saying that from what I understand is that LLU gives some of thier first acceptances out to non-SDA applicants with very strong stats that still represent their mission. This is due to the fact that non-SDA's (or anyone) with strong stats are likely to get multiple acceptances so LLU would like to offer the non-SDA acceptances early. SDA applicants are more likely to want to attend LLU, so LLU does not need to rush to accept them all...

yes, the majority of accepted students are SDA, I agree. just saying that I think if your non SDA your acceptance or rejection may be earlier than later