Loma Linda or Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shylock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd like to ask everyone's advice. I'd like to see what you guys feel about these two schools. I know most of people will pick USC over these two schools any day in SoCal. But, if USC is not in the picture. Which one would you pick, and why?

If location is not an issue. Will you go to LLU? The tuition between these two schools are the same, same 4 years. I don't mind the religion stuff. I just wanted to get the best education that I can possibly get. I want the school to prepare me well for the future.

I thought LLU has its own hospital, it would be wise to pick it due to rotations. But Western isn't bad either. Help!:D:confused:

Any advices are welcomed. Thanks. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure which I'd pick, if location weren't an issue. As long as by location you include cost of living. Otherwise, I'd live in Loma Linda/Redlands over Pomona anyday. As far as rotations, I can email a friend who's a 2nd year over at Loma Linda and see what they do, but I know Western rotates you through a community pharmacy and a hospital/LTC pharmacy your first year, and it sounds like 2nd year as well. So you wouldn't necessarily lack hospital experience per se. Granted LLUMC has a very good reputation and a Children's Hospital. If you could land a job there, even better.

I'd probably go LLU just cuz I'd want to land their PGY-1 residency post-grad.

Members don't see this ad :)
western. I may be bias, cause i was accepted there. But they have a unique block schedule system that allows u to focus on one subject at a time.

I would say Western all the way. For one, they have been around longer. Two, their block system (focus on one or two subjects at a time). Three, year and a half of pharmacy experience rather than 1 year at LLU. Fourth, the classroom experience at Western is so advanced while at LLU you have a few small classrooms which are located in the basement. Finally, I know the religion aspect does not bother you, but remember that in addition to your full load of pharmacy classes, you will also have to take religion courses (not just go to church).

I personally know a handful of really successful and knowledgeable pharmacists that have attended Western.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure LLU has a good program... but I had the same decision to make as you... and I picked Western. =)

I'm sure which ever one you decide you will be happy at... so good luck!

I would say Western all the way. For one, they have been around longer. Two, their block system (focus on one or two subjects at a time). Three, year and a half of pharmacy experience rather than 1 year at LLU. Fourth, the classroom experience at Western is so advanced while at LLU you have a few small classrooms which are located in the basement. Finally, I know the religion aspect does not bother you, but remember that in addition to your full load of pharmacy classes, you will also have to take religion courses (not just go to church).

I personally know a handful of really successful and knowledgeable pharmacists that have attended Western.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure LLU has a good program... but I had the same decision to make as you... and I picked Western. =)

I'm sure which ever one you decide you will be happy at... so good luck!
I agree with your analysis. I would pick Western U before Loma Linda.