LOMA LINDA PHARMACY C/O 2018 - Fall 2014 admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks so much for the advice! Would you be able/willing to provide an example of what the first semester curriculum looks like in terms of daily schedule (lecture hours, study time, test days, etc). Are all lectures in class or are some online? Thank you in advance!

Thats a full loaded question and Ill answer it the best I can. This is from my exp and it may change. Remember this is a relatively new school so they are trying to iron things out. So this means that it can a lot from year to year in terms of who teaches, what is taught and how it is taught.

From my exp., its a qrt system so everything moves very fast. All classes are done in class and often in the same room. Classes are usually about 2-3 hrs sessions with breaks every hour or so. And even though you may see an empty schedule, don't be fooled. They will probably schedule something in such as training or lecture forums. So you can roughly estimate you are in class M-F 8-3PM.

Depending on the professor, you may see a quiz every lecture. Midterms are about every 3 weeks or so and they like to give them all in the same week. Fun. =)

Personally, I studied about 3 hrs a day. Not only because of a quiz, but to stay a float. Even though the class may not have a quiz, not studying or at least reviewing weekly is foolish. You will fail behind pretty fast.

With all these said, it varies from person to person and year to year depending on how they adjust scheduling. One thing is for sure, everyone studied at least 5 hrs/wk and everyone said the studied more in one week than they did in a month in undergrad.

I got an acceptance call from Cindy today

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats a full loaded question and Ill answer it the best I can. This is from my exp and it may change. Remember this is a relatively new school so they are trying to iron things out. So this means that it can a lot from year to year in terms of who teaches, what is taught and how it is taught.

From my exp., its a qrt system so everything moves very fast. All classes are done in class and often in the same room. Classes are usually about 2-3 hrs sessions with breaks every hour or so. And even though you may see an empty schedule, don't be fooled. They will probably schedule something in such as training or lecture forums. So you can roughly estimate you are in class M-F 8-3PM.

Depending on the professor, you may see a quiz every lecture. Midterms are about every 3 weeks or so and they like to give them all in the same week. Fun. =)

Personally, I studied about 3 hrs a day. Not only because of a quiz, but to stay a float. Even though the class may not have a quiz, not studying or at least reviewing weekly is foolish. You will fail behind pretty fast.

With all these said, it varies from person to person and year to year depending on how they adjust scheduling. One thing is for sure, everyone studied at least 5 hrs/wk and everyone said the studied more in one week than they did in a month in undergrad.

wow! thank you for the advice. i had some questions!

how many classes do we usually take a quarter?
do you have any recommendations on housing/apartments around campus?
what student organizations would you recommend to join?
in terms of getting a lap top: i was looking into the macbook air but that doesn't have a CD ROM drive. is a CD ROM drive necessary?

Hello, I got accepted to both of touro and llu. And I have to make decision which school I will go to. Could you give me some advice? Thank you

wow! thank you for the advice. i had some questions!

how many classes do we usually take a quarter?
do you have any recommendations on housing/apartments around campus?
what student organizations would you recommend to join?
in terms of getting a lap top: i was looking into the macbook air but that doesn't have a CD ROM drive. is a CD ROM drive necessary?

1) I would say roughly 6 or 7. There are usually about 3 classes that are "harder" than the others. For example, first quarter I had public health which was relatively easy (still lots of memorization) and biochem which was a butt kicker. You can guess which class I did better in and spent less time studying for.
2) If you stay south of the I-10 and East of I-215 you should be fine. I like Redlands a little better than Colton. Loma Linda itself is pretty nice too, except here the I-10. Of course you can do the dorms too, but I like it better of campus with roommates to save on cost. Some people even room together off campus to save more money.
3) This is really up to you. They have so many, I joined the California based ones as I plan to stay in-state.
4) For school wise, never. Depends on the person, but I haven't used my drive in about 4 years haha. If you need one, just get an external one you can lug around. Usually around $30-40 at places like www.newegg.com

Hello, I got accepted to both of touro and llu. And I have to make decision which school I will go to. Could you give me some advice? Thank you

This is really on preference. Both are relatively new schools, but Touro will have more NorCal connections and LLU will have more SoCal connections.

I chose LLU because its faith based, has its own hospital and residency program and the admin is really there to help you. They are very transparent about the job market and how to be competitive. Lets be real, there are already 8 schools in California with plans to open 4 more in the new couple years. For me, I feel like LLU has a big name and will help me make connections also I feel like the curriculum they have is really good in terms of preparing for rotations and "real life."

Touro is a great school too and is making a name for itself very fast. I don't know anyone who went there or goes there, but it seems like a competitive program too.

Sorry I can't give you a straight answer, but maybe to get an idea, ask someone from Touro to see what their program is like?

This is really on preference. Both are relatively new schools, but Touro will have more NorCal connections and LLU will have more SoCal connections.

I chose LLU because its faith based, has its own hospital and residency program and the admin is really there to help you. They are very transparent about the job market and how to be competitive. Lets be real, there are already 8 schools in California with plans to open 4 more in the new couple years. For me, I feel like LLU has a big name and will help me make connections also I feel like the curriculum they have is really good in terms of preparing for rotations and "real life."

Touro is a great school too and is making a name for itself very fast. I don't know anyone who went there or goes there, but it seems like a competitive program too.

Sorry I can't give you a straight answer, but maybe to get an idea, ask someone from Touro to see what their program is like?

Thank you so much!!!you helped a lot!!

Just sent in my deposit! Interview was great and everyone at the school was very nice. The curriculum and program seems very organized and challenging at the same time. The Loma Linda name itself is very prestigious throughout California. I'm excited about meeting fellow classmates!

Reactions: 1 users

Hey there reddie this is the exact same situation I was in and had already deposited Touro before LLU. I decided LLU because of the smaller class sizes and because I felt that the three year academics + one year of rotations would personally benefit me more than the 2 + 2. I have also spoke with individuals near my current So Cal under-grad school whom have all said great things about LLU and their reputation. Again it is up to your personal preference but LLU seemed like the better fit for me.

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted and put down deposit, but I am thinking about withdraw my spot...Hope this is a good chance for whom in alternative list!

Hey there reddie this is the exact same situation I was in and had already deposited Touro before LLU. I decided LLU because of the smaller class sizes and because I felt that the three year academics + one year of rotations would personally benefit me more than the 2 + 2. I have also spoke with individuals near my current So Cal under-grad school whom have all said great things about LLU and their reputation. Again it is up to your personal preference but LLU seemed like the better fit for me.

Thank you so much for advice! Same reason, I sent my deposit to LLU :)

I have questions about housing.
I am comparing between getting a roommate for apt or living in the dorm.
I realized that dorm is fairly cheap. about 320 for a month?
but I am considering about noise, internet speed, size, restrictions and other stuff.
Which one would you recommend?
If I go for apt, I have few questions.
1. how much is parking permit? and is it hard to find a parking space?
2.When is the good time for us to find an apt?
3. any recommendation on apt?

i cant really comment on the dorms much except that everyone i have asked said it was nice. if the internet speed is like campus', its pretty fast with good ping times. id say around 15mpbs and 60-80ms ping times. and my classmates have said there arent really restrictions to anything except the obvious like no smoking drinking etc.. ive attended study groups in the main lobby until 1am and the staff didnt care. so all in all, it sounds like a good deal.

if you decide off campus, parking is free. its not bad unless you get there after 10pm which means for us pharmacy students, never. with that said, parking isnt bad at all. you walk maybe 1/4 mile at the most to get to class, if even that. with the dorms you walk further.

i cant really say about apartments since we rented a house with house mates... but the couple places i looked at before, Monterrey pines in loma linda was nice and a lot of the ones in Redlands right adjuacent to Loma Linda were nice as well.. by far the cheapest was in Colton, but the area is kinda sketchy. its not bad, but it seems like it could have problems with noise and others..........if any consolation, the apartments in Colton are newer and seem to be well kept too.

Now with all this said, dorms fill up quick. If you look for apartments, they usually dont fill up until late july, but people usually start looking for roommates right about now. Good places to start are the Trading Post:
http://www.llu.edu/news/trading-post/index.page

your facebook group and another place i cant remember off the top of my head. and this other site, its sort of like craigslist but you have to be a student at LLU and you have to register.

i cant really comment on the dorms much except that everyone i have asked said it was nice. if the internet speed is like campus', its pretty fast with good ping times. id say around 15mpbs and 60-80ms ping times. and my classmates have said there arent really restrictions to anything except the obvious like no smoking drinking etc.. ive attended study groups in the main lobby until 1am and the staff didnt care. so all in all, it sounds like a good deal.

if you decide off campus, parking is free. its not bad unless you get there after 10pm which means for us pharmacy students, never. with that said, parking isnt bad at all. you walk maybe 1/4 mile at the most to get to class, if even that. with the dorms you walk further.

i cant really say about apartments since we rented a house with house mates... but the couple places i looked at before, Monterrey pines in loma linda was nice and a lot of the ones in Redlands right adjuacent to Loma Linda were nice as well.. by far the cheapest was in Colton, but the area is kinda sketchy. its not bad, but it seems like it could have problems with noise and others..........if any consolation, the apartments in Colton are newer and seem to be well kept too.

Now with all this said, dorms fill up quick. If you look for apartments, they usually dont fill up until late july, but people usually start looking for roommates right about now. Good places to start are the Trading Post:
http://www.llu.edu/news/trading-post/index.page

your facebook group and another place i cant remember off the top of my head. and this other site, its sort of like craigslist but you have to be a student at LLU and you have to register.

Fantastic!! Thank you sooooooooooooo much!!

Hello,
I have an interview at Loma Linda next week, I was just wondering about the interview questions and the writing sample? any advice ?

Hello,
I have an interview at Loma Linda next week, I was just wondering about the interview questions and the writing sample? any advice ?

I got accepted as well! good luck to everyone interviewing!
hi i was just wondering if you can share your stats? :0 currently a bio major at ucsb and im starting to lose confidence :c