Loma Linda Rec Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siba

siba
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I recently heard that Loma Linda requires a rec letter written by a pastor/priest. Is that true?

Do they really prefer religious people? I'm not really involved in church though...

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

if you dont think the school is right for you, then dont apply there? it is only one school? there are lots of other schools?

if you dont think the school is right for you, then dont apply there? it is only one school? there are lots of other schools?

How did you infer that siba did not think the school is right for him?

Bumb - I am also interested in the answer to siba's question.

Members don't see this ad :)
this question gets asked numerous times every year.

LLU prefers a LOR from a clergy/minister, but if you are not religious or can't get one of those, you can use some other character reference. Believe it or not, LLU does accept people who are not religious, although they most likely prefer someone who is. If you aren't religious, it helps your case if you're tolerant of religion/religious people and not one of those anti-religious types.

How did you infer that siba did not think the school is right for him?

Bumb - I am also interested in the answer to siba's question.

sorry, i might have been a little irritated when i wrote that. for some reason, i got the feeling he wasnt interested in the school when i read it.

in my defense, it was 5am when i wrote it. that might explain the impatience.

now that i read it again. it felt like he is actually interested in the school.

i got rejected from LLU, but i did get an interview. i didnt have a letter from a priest/pastor. i got a letter from a buddhist monk at the temple i volunteer at.

i also agree with what lemoncurry said.

A religiously-affiliated reference is NOT required, though it might be preferred. I was just accepted to the PsyD program, and all of my letters were from previous professors. They do say that they give preference to Adventists, but that didn't keep them from taking me.

this question gets asked numerous times every year.

LLU prefers a LOR from a clergy/minister, but if you are not religious or can't get one of those, you can use some other character reference. Believe it or not, LLU does accept people who are not religious, although they most likely prefer someone who is. If you aren't religious, it helps your case if you're tolerant of religion/religious people and not one of those anti-religious types.

Lemoncurry is right. LLU accepted me without that letter, and I am not a SDA either.

If you send in a committ letter from your school, it's a complilation of all of your rec. letters. How would they know which is from a pastor/religious person or not?

If you send in a committ letter from your school, it's a complilation of all of your rec. letters. How would they know which is from a pastor/religious person or not?

If the pastor specifically mentions that he is one anywere in the letter, they would find out.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though. It SEEMS that they don't enforce this pastor LOR requirement very much.