LOMA LINDA - SDA vs. NON-SDA

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by EarlyEditionDude, Dec 6, 2002.

1. EarlyEditionDude

Banned

Hey guys,
    I was wondering...... :oops: since Loma Linda is a SDA-related school, does this mean that those people who have stats around their averages and are SDAs have a better chance of admission compared to someone who has the same stats but not a SDA?

And are all of the church related schools like this?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pharmmayor

pharmmayor New Member

I would be happy to answer all of your questions!! I am a first year at loma linda and I am not sda, which has led to a VERY interesting experience. I dont know how much you want to know, but here are some things about the school. It is allowed to give preference on the basis of religion because it requires that you go to chapel and attend religion classes - if those were optional, they could get sued. I dont think many other med schools do this. About half of my class is SDA, and I have not met a single person that isn't Christian. I have endless stories about the school, which I would be happy to share if you wanted to email me. I just finished my anatomy final today and finals are this week. I can say that even though I am in the middle of a really stressful week, the professors at this school are wonderful, especially anatomy. So to answer your specific question, I assume that since there is a pretty big difference in the percentage of people that are SDA at this school and the percent of people that are SDA in the country, the stats for SDAs would probably be a little lower than non-SDAs for there to be so many of them. Hope this helps, I'd be happy to share more.

4. poloace

poloace Senior Member

pharm-

what do you think of the school in general??? i'm from the area and will most likely attend the school---- probably meet you next year- but, do you think the education holds up???
    peter

5. STi555

STi555 Senior Member

I agree with Polace, I believe many would be interested in hearding more of your impressions of LLUSM. So, when you are done with your finals or have a free moment please share some more of your thoughts on LLUSM. Good luck with your finals. Also, if you happen to know Dr. Thorn's (dean of admissions) email or snail mail address could please PM one or both to me. Thanks.

EarlyEditionDude, as pharmmayor stated being SDA helps, but the school also takes your religious views into account and attmepts to determine if you are a good fit for their school. So, I believe that a non-SDA that the school felt had beliefs that fit their philosphy could do just as well if not better than a person who is a Seveth-day Adventist but does not seem to be truly interested in the church and hold its values.

6. pharmmayor

pharmmayor New Member

I totally agree with that comment. However, you dont find many sda's that arent into the religion, in fact I havent met any yet. As far as the academics, supposedly we have a high rate of passing and doing well on boards and I totally believe that. The professors are really amazing and everyone wants you to do well and they try really hard to get you prepared. Most professors sit and take boards every other year or so to make sure they know what's being tested, and then during most lectures there will be at least one comment like "put a star next to that, it was on boards 2 years ago" or whatever. THe SDA religion itself really focuses on health so while the school and town are VERY sda, no one is trying to convert anyone, they just want to turn out good doctors. Ive spoken with the assoc dean of admissions (Leona Edwards) about waht they look for (I am on the committee that sets up interviewees if they want to stay with a student). I doubt if I could get thorn's email, and anyway, he basically come into town sometime in dec to do non sda interviews until about feb. He interviews most sads before dec at their undergrads. From what I can assess talking to my classmates, the kids from sda and private schools have high gpas and lower mcats so people like me from a public school can have an average gpa and a higher mcat and the stats stay normal. And they definitely look for involvement with a church, whatever church it is. In the interview though, dont just assume the person is sda - I think this is definitely a fluke, but I got a non christian neurosurgeon and he didnt care one bit about my ec's except research. But the admissions committe definitely wants people that want to be there so of course they want to know if you want to b e at a christian med school. Okay, enough procrastinating fromstudying for my biochem final, let me know if you have more questions!

P.S. Poloace, is that water polo or horse polo? A classmate friend of mine is reeeeeeally into polo.

7. poloace

poloace Senior Member

waterpolo- i had this chick from the midwest i was hitting on a few years back ask me how they got the horses into the pool... it was at that point i was like, 'yes yes... the horses are uneasy at first- but, they eventually take a liking to it and will beg you to go high diving with them every once in a while.' she was dumb.

peter