Loma Linda University School of Medicine Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why did you decide to attend Loma Linda School of Medicine?

• Religious aspect of program

Votes: 42 60.0%
  • Didn't have any choice, it was the only school that would accept me!

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • The tuition!

Votes: 6 8.6%
    Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Friends

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Parent relative was an alumnus

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters

JadedSurgeon

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems I'm the first one on StudentDoctor to post about my acceptance and decision to attend Loma Linda.

Congradulations to all the rest of you! I live in the Loma Linda area so PM me if you have any questions about the location, housing, medical school etc

Members don't see this ad.

I completed my application with LLU ~Nov. I'm really starting to lose hope, because I haven't heard a thing. Do you know what their interview schedule is? :cool:

I completed my application with LLU ~Nov. I'm really starting to lose hope, because I haven't heard a thing. Do you know what their interview schedule is? :cool:

It's the same thing for me as well. I called last Thursday, they told me that they had sent me a note saying I was complete. That was the second week of Nov. Is that a sign of rejection?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Jadedsurgeon... Congrats on getting into LLU!!!!! I just found out I have an interview there too, so I'm quite excited. Any helpful tips? What is the day like there? Also, if you are not a 7th Day Adventist, how will that affect my chances? Thanks!!

just interviewed. now waiting!

for those who are already accepted, how quickly was a decision made after your interview?

just got accepted today!! wheres everyone at?!

I just got the call from Dr. Nyiraidy today! My first acceptance!

Oh, and I interviewed 2/6.

Jay, did you get an information package other than the acceptance letter yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I'm assuming that the AdCom hasn't had it's March monthly meeting yet, since no one has joined since Feb....I'm hoping to get some good news this week, I'll keep y'all posted!
My interview was Thursday (3/8) and I really really love the school. Here's hopin for a quick, happy response :oops: ;)

So, I'm assuming that the AdCom hasn't had it's March monthly meeting yet, since no one has joined since Feb....I'm hoping to get some good news this week, I'll keep y'all posted!
My interview was Thursday (3/8) and I really really love the school. Here's hopin for a quick, happy response :oops: ;)

I'm not sure when the committee met but I got an acceptance call today. My caller id shows that they attempted a call on Monday morning as well so they probably met last week sometime.

Good luck everyone and see you in the fall!

I'm not sure when the committee met but I got an acceptance call today. My caller id shows that they attempted a call on Monday morning as well so they probably met last week sometime.

Good luck everyone and see you in the fall!

well, now I have to figure out housing. Anyone have any suggestions? I am considering purchasing a condo.

Yes, I got the call on Tuesday, too. :)

How much is rent/month in Loma Linda usually?

Yes, I got the call on Tuesday, too. :)

How much is rent/month in Loma Linda usually?
Because I'm a giver, I'll help y'all out with the housing situation. Here's a place to start if you're looking for an off-campus place:
http://www.llu.edu/news/tp/
There is on-campus housing, if you're single, but I haven't checked the prices on that. For So Cal, the Loma Linda area is a bit of a deal, but it depends on where you want to be.

My caller id shows that they attempted a call on Monday morning as well

Do they leave messages at all or do they just keep trying back until you are home?

To all the applicants who interviewed 2/27 or after...have you heard anything from the admissions committee? acceptance? rejection? waitlist?

Do they leave messages at all or do they just keep trying back until you are home?

Although they did not leave a message for me, that may not be the case for everyone.

I got THE CALL.:)
On Friday (4/20) LLU called to let me know I have been accepted to the class of 2011. WooooHOOOOO!​

I too am from maryland....used to live in california a while ago, but moved to good ol Maryland

Yeah!!! We can revive the old thread!!! I know I'm OCD, but I created a Facebook group for LLU SOM 2011:

http://oakwood.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2323262671
HI Jay,
I'm up for your facebook group, but I can't seem to join it. It doesn't show up on the group search, and when I follow the link, there's no option to join. Perhaps my problems are only because I am new to facebook, but please help!

As for the ABOUT ME section...I grew up in central CA and moved to So Cal for undergrad. I've been in the Pasadena area for about 8 years now. My undergrad was APU, a small Christian college, and I recently finished my MPH at UCLA. I'm looking forward to meeting you all! :D

I’m from So. Cal. Currently living few miles east of Downtown LA.

Hey doc4god I also went to APU….graduated May ‘06.

I’m from So. Cal. Currently living few miles east of Downtown LA.

Hey doc4god I also went to APU….graduated May ‘06.
Congrats on your acceptance!! It was so great to get that call on Friday! LLU is my first choice, co I'm glad to finally hear.
I graduated from APU in 2003, but if you were a bio major, we probably had a lot of the same profs. I'm sure we'll have lots to talk about!

Does anyone know what the dates are for orientation? White Coat? etc? I'm guessing it will say in the letter they send this week, but I'm a little impatient, and trying to plan a last-minute vacation. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Congrats on your acceptance!! It was so great to get that call on Friday! LLU is my first choice, co I'm glad to finally hear.
I graduated from APU in 2003, but if you were a bio major, we probably had a lot of the same profs. I'm sure we'll have lots to talk about!

Does anyone know what the dates are for orientation? White Coat? etc? I'm guessing it will say in the letter they send this week, but I'm a little impatient, and trying to plan a last-minute vacation. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
Judging from when they had their orientation and white coat ceremony stuff last year, I would say that the White Coat ceremony will be on Thursday, August 2nd, and the Consecration will be on Friday, August 3rd. And then I guess for the next 2 weeks we are in the hospital shadowing!!!

Oh yeah, and I'll check up on the facebook group, to make sure its working.

Congrats to everyone who got in! :D I just joined the facebook group. hee hee
Just to confirm what others have been saying, my friend put me in touch with a current 1st year student and he said that if the schedule is like last year's, we'll have two weeks of shadowing before classes start. :)

I think that is so tight! Even though we won't know anything, we will have our white coats and a name tag...isn't that what being a doctor is all about?!! :)

I think that is so tight! Even though we won't know anything, we will have our white coats and a name tag...isn't that what being a doctor is all about?!! :)
haha...funny Jay!
...at least we'll look official!!

On a different note...I received the main acceptance application and saw the note about sending in an official transcript to LLU no later than June 15. I know that when we filled out the AMCAS, the only grades LLU saw were from freshman to junior year and not the senior year. My senior year was the first time I had to get a W and got one C, so my question is should I be worried and call the admissions office to, I guess, explain myself, or should I not worry too much about 1 C and 1 W? Im just worried because they didn't see the W or C prior to their decision to interview and accept. Any thoughts?

I dont' think the W will hurt you. and if its only 1 C, it will pike their interest, but its probably not uncommon for them to see this from seniors battling senioritis. What class is the C in?

wow that was quick..haha
The C is in neurophysiology...it was actually my mistake and laziness that got the C though, because I had a high B and was shooting for an A, but the night before the exam I got too lazy and just wanted to pass...Turns out I did a lot worse than I thought and got that C

Lookin forward to the white coat ceremony, shadowing & starting out as a MS1...

But what do ya'll do in addition to school/medicine?

Anyone plan on doing international missions or maybe even practice in another country?

Just curious...

wow that was quick..haha
The C is in neurophysiology...it was actually my mistake and laziness that got the C though, because I had a high B and was shooting for an A, but the night before the exam I got too lazy and just wanted to pass...Turns out I did a lot worse than I thought and got that C
Rook, it might be a good idea to mention this grade in a letter of some sort, before they see your transcript. I got the packet yestereday, and it does say that you have to maintain the grades you have been getting in order for your acceptance to be valid. I'm not saying this to scare you, (I have more than one C on my transcripts, and they still accepted me) but it might be good to explain/mention it as being out of the ordinary. Perhaps call/email one of the profs you interviewed with or Dr. Nyirady for advice from the school's perspective.
Just my thoughts.

Anyone plan on doing international missions or maybe even practice in another country?

Just curious...
that is pretty much the only reason why I'm moving across the U.S. to go to LLU; its their dedication to missionary work, especially overseas missionary work. I hope to go on as many missions as possible (without failing all of my class :))

Because I'm a giver, I'll help y'all out with the housing situation. Here's a place to start if you're looking for an off-campus place:
http://www.llu.edu/news/tp/
There is on-campus housing, if you're single, but I haven't checked the prices on that. For So Cal, the Loma Linda area is a bit of a deal, but it depends on where you want to be.

For anyone interested in affordable apartments look in the city of Colton.
A friend of mine is an Occupational Therapy student at Loma Linda...he lives about 5 miles away from LLU in Colton and was able to get his own 1 bedroom apt for about 500. Now, if you are from out of state then 500 seems like a lot for your own place. But, in Southern Cali 500 for a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom is a bargin.

Am I the only one who is really annoyed by the way our thread title is formatted? With the "congradulations" and the swirly lines? Does anyone else want it changed? I'd have to see if its possible, but if yall like it (and if I'm being extra geeky) then I understand.

Just curious...
This sounds like a great topic for the facebook group discussion board!!

To answer your question:
I just finished my MPH in epidemiology. I've been doing cancer research for about 3 years (2 in cytogenetics, 1 in epi). I hope to do at least short-term missions abroad. Dr. Lewis (one of my interviewers) mentioned an opportunity to go to Kenya next summer!!!!!!! The extent of my missionary work will depend entirely upon how God reconciles my interests with my husband's (a HS teacher). We went to Urbana last year...and the opportunities are truly endless!

For anyone interested in affordable apartments look in the city of Colton.
A friend of mine is an Occupational Therapy student at Loma Linda...he lives about 5 miles away from LLU in Colton and was able to get his own 1 bedroom apt for about 500. Now, if you are from out of state then 500 seems like a lot for your own place. But, in Southern Cali 500 for a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom is a bargin.

What kind of area is Colton though, because just today a professor I have who graduated from LLU Grad school told me to stay away from Colton because its the Ghetto. Now I can hold my own, but I'm not sure if my fiancee would stomach that.

Am I the only one who is really annoyed by the way our thread title is formatted? With the "congradulations" and the swirly lines? Does anyone else want it changed? I'd have to see if its possible, but if yall like it (and if I'm being extra geeky) then I understand.
Go for it!
I didn't realize it had been different before...but the "D" in Congraduations has been annoying me!

p.s. I heard that the class of 2007 (I think) started a student-run clinic in the San Bernardino area. A great opportunity to begin our missions work!

that is pretty much the only reason why I'm moving across the U.S. to go to LLU; its their dedication to missionary work, especially overseas missionary work. I hope to go on as many missions as possible (without failing all of my class :))

Sweet.
Yea, Im interested in working at the clinic students & Dr.s host in Mexicali. But someday I want to set up my own year-round clinic in a community needing medical care. Where? Still don't know...but I speak spanish so Latin America is a strong option. I have traveled Mexico, Guatemala and the Dominica Rep. I want to continue to go on short term missions to gain exposure and possibly find the place that I'll call my second home.

What kind of area is Colton though, because just today a professor I have who graduated from LLU Grad school told me to stay away from Colton because its the Ghetto. Now I can hold my own, but I'm not sure if my fiancee would stomach that.

I think it all depends on perspective. I have lived in both the urban "ghetto" (Downtown Los Angeles) and the suburbs (Santa Clarita)...and I feel comfortable in either area.

As for Colton -- its not your typical ghetto. It is has more of the small-town feeling and is kinda run-down. But don't knock it till you try it.