Loma Linda University School of Medicine Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why did you decide to attend Loma Linda School of Medicine?

• Religious aspect of program

Votes: 42 60.0%
  • Didn't have any choice, it was the only school that would accept me!

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • The tuition!

Votes: 6 8.6%
    Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Friends

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Parent relative was an alumnus

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters
Yall should be really glad that you are already in Cali. Moving from MD to CA will deplete alot of the money we will be receiving for the wedding. Shipping a car s at least $1,000, and using a shipping company to ship our clothes and computer will cost close to $3,000. I'm thinking of just renting a Uhaul truck with a car tow on the back, and just making the drive across the U.S.

Members don't see this ad.

Yall should be really glad that you are already in Cali. Moving from MD to CA will deplete alot of the money we will be receiving for the wedding. Shipping a car s at least $1,000, and using a shipping company to ship our clothes and computer will cost close to $3,000. I'm thinking of just renting a Uhaul truck with a car tow on the back, and just making the drive across the U.S.

Are you getting married before school starts?

Yea it is expensive to move across the country. I was thinking of moving from CA to North Carolina for school. Depending on how much stuff you are brining it can cost thousands. Maybe you could hitch a trailer to your car and drive over?

yeah, we are getting married in july, and moving in july also. I was thinking about the trailer thing too, but I really don't want to put 3,000 miles on my car, especially since that will be our only mode of transportation while in cali for the 4 years. But I'll keep checking stuff out. Housing is pretty ridiculous in the loma linda area. 2 bedrooms for $1,300??!!! In huntsville you could get a 5 bedroom mansion for a monthly price like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, we are getting married in july, and moving in july also. I was thinking about the trailer thing too, but I really don't want to put 3,000 miles on my car, especially since that will be our only mode of transportation while in cali for the 4 years. But I'll keep checking stuff out. Housing is pretty ridiculous in the loma linda area. 2 bedrooms for $1,300??!!! In huntsville you could get a 5 bedroom mansion for a monthly price like that.

Yea the rent is even higher in areas closer to the beach or city. In the Los Feliz/Hollywood area a small 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house <or hut...> sells for about 550,000. Personally, I don't think its worth it.

Sometimes you can get a good deal on renting a house. Private renters are more willing to make a deal with you than someone who owns 1+ apartment complexes.

Hey Yall. Check out this video on one of the sim labs at LLU. I'll be posting more LLU related stuff on the facebook group soon.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HkwczX80A[/YOUTUBE]

Well, the good news about the high rent is that you get great weather along with it!! (granted the summer's will get to a dry 100 degrees in Aug and Sept)
Are you and your soon-to-be wife making an exploratory journey out here? There are many places in the areas surrounding LLU that have better prices than $1300 for a 2 bed, but you kind of have to scope them out to see if it's a place you would want to live. I don't think there are many hard-and-fast rules, like Colton's the ghetto or Rialto's scary.... there are areas in those cities that you wouldn't want to live in. But there are also areas of Redlands that I wouldn't want to be in after dark, and for the most part I would say that Redlands is the nicest city in the area.
I know this makes your search harder instead of easier, but keep looking and you'll find a good deal.
Also, the Trading Post that they sent us in the acceptance packet is a good place to start. Usually private owners have better deals than big apt complexes. Plus, you might find someone who's sensitive to the fact that you're a newlywed and both in med school....and perhaps give you a discount!

welcome to California real estate. :p Loma Linda is actually pretty cheap in terms of housing...when I was at Cal I had to pay $75 a month just for parking...let's not mention all the money my parents spent on rent :D

oh yeah. thanks for fixing the title of the thread. it was bothering me, too, but I didn't want to offend whoever wrote it. heehe

Thanks guys for the info on housing. We are really trying to get into one of the houses that LLU actually rents out to students. They cost below $800 a month, and they are basically on campus, but there is a waiting listing and students are still moving out. Hopefully more spots will open up after their graduation.

Have any of you all logged onto your account at www.llu.edu/ssweb and seen the pictures of all the classes (Medical, Dental, Pharmacy, PT, etc.) on the Online Potppuri?

Its nice to see the folks that have already been where we are going. Its pretty cool too cause all their contact info is there.

Did you guys send the deposit with the data sheet, or both items separately? btw, love the new title. the ~ was kinda bothering me too haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Congrats in getting into LLU! I'm finishing up my first year and <sarcasm> I'm excited for 2 and a half weeks of exams coming up!</sarcasm>

Anyhow, I found my current residence on SDN last year and I'm extending the offer to you guys too.

I will be moving out of a house that is basically across the street and with a great view of the medical center (where you will have physical diagnosis classes and labs.) There is one huge shared or single room w/ a fireplace available now and one single room available on July 1st (or sooner if need be). My roommates who are staying is one guy and one girl who will be MS4's, both SDA, but very laid back and neat. (The girl lives in an addition to the house and only uses the bathroom in the main house.) They are also a great source for class advice and free text books. The house is very spacious with an enclosed back porch and huge back yard with grapefruit, lemon, and blood orange trees (so basically a free supply of fruit). The rent is very reasonable for the size of the rooms and distance from campus. The address is 11354 Loma Vista Drive, Loma Linda, CA 92354 so google map it to see how close it is to campus. If you are interested PM and I will give you contact info.

PS. if you have any other questions on what school's like or what you'll need, feel free to ask. I'll check this site for the next week or so, and periodically during exams.

Hey everyone! Congrats in getting into LLU! I'm finishing up my first year and <sarcasm> I'm excited for 2 and a half weeks of exams coming up!</sarcasm>

Anyhow, I found my current residence on SDN last year and I'm extending the offer to you guys too.

I will be moving out of a house that is basically across the street and with a great view of the medical center (where you will have physical diagnosis classes and labs.) There is one huge shared or single room w/ a fireplace available now and one single room available on July 1st (or sooner if need be). My roommates who are staying is one guy and one girl who will be MS4's, both SDA, but very laid back and neat. (The girl lives in an addition to the house and only uses the bathroom in the main house.) They are also a great source for class advice and free text books. The house is very spacious with an enclosed back porch and huge back yard with grapefruit, lemon, and blood orange trees (so basically a free supply of fruit). The rent is very reasonable for the size of the rooms and distance from campus. The address is 11354 Loma Vista Drive, Loma Linda, CA 92354 so google map it to see how close it is to campus. If you are interested PM and I will give you contact info.

PS. if you have any other questions on what school's like or what you'll need, feel free to ask. I'll check this site for the next week or so, and periodically during exams.
Hey Dr. Who? I would love to take you up on that offer but I'm getting married, so I'm not sure the roommate thing would work. Do you know of any houses that your friends are about to sell or rent out where we could have the whole house?

Also, what books do we actually need to be for first year? Or can we just study from the lecture notes?

Hey Dr. Who? I would love to take you up on that offer but I'm getting married, so I'm not sure the roommate thing would work. Do you know of any houses that your friends are about to sell or rent out where we could have the whole house?

Also, what books do we actually need to be for first year? Or can we just study from the lecture notes?

Most of the houses that have been advertised have probably already been taken by incoming residents. I'm not sure what or how big of a house you were looking for, but until you actually get here, your best bet is probably the trading post. Some people just post signs up on the lawn too, so depending on what month you're getting here, a good time to check for openings is a month prior to that.

As for books, don't buy anything until you are able to talk to other med students and check them out yourself. I only bought the biochem and histology textbooks and use BRS or similar review books for the other classes.

Class notes vary in quality because it all depends on who presents the lecture.

We asked the same thing about the books last year, and a MS2 gave his take...here's his reply...

Here's one man's opinion of each book. I can't tell you how many people bought every single book on the list and still have a couple like Mosby's and Robbin's still in shrink wrap. My advice - read them yourselves and see which ones you like.

cecil textbook of medicine, 22nd ed
- used very little

clincal diagnosis & mgmt by lab. methods, 20th ed
- used very little

dorland's illus. med. dic., 30th ed
- never used

spirit catches you and you fall down, 1st ed.
- never used-borrowed one night

the lost art of healing
- borrowed and read for about 2 hours

clinically oriented anat. 5th ed.
- good anatomy book - still should buy BRS Anatomy too

langman's med. embryology, 10th ed (ugh, i hate embryology)
- good embryo book but way too much detail. high-yield embryo is great but not quite enough detail. if you're a gunner get langman's.

atlas of clinical gross anatomy
- atlas written by our instructor - used it some

biochemistry 3rd ed.
- if this is lippincott's by champe, harvey, etc., it is essential

thompson(x2) genetics in med. 6th ed.
- we had 2 genetics lectures...i never thought about buying or reading it

robbins & cotran pathologic basis of disease, 7th ed. (if you didn't like this, which one was a good substitue...if any...)
- we didn't have any path. there were maybe 5 pages of required reading in this book all year, and cecil's or wikipedia should do just fine

histology: a text and atlas, 5th ed
- I loved the Ross histology book, but many of my classmates prefered Junquiera

immunology: a short course, 5th ed
- excellent immuno book with great sample questions at the end of each chapter. the lecture follows the book exactly.

user's guides to the med. literature: a manual for evid-based. clin. pract.
- i'd get it, but don't read it cover to cover

physiology, updated ed.
- if this is boron & boupaep, i really liked it but most of my classmates preferred BRS phys by Costanzo

neuroanatomy through clinical cases, 1st ed.
- good book but the notes you get will have everything you need to know. still i'd buy this one.

the brain atlast: a vis guide to the human cent. nerv. sys., 2nd ed
- good brain atlas

mostby' guide to physical examination, 6th ed.
- probably a good idea to get this, but not required

chest x-ray made easy, 2nd ed
abdominal x-rays made easy
-these 2 were not on the list last year. they must be changing something for you guys so you are on your own here.

behavioral med. in prim. care, 2nd ed.
- good idea to buy this one. i think 2 chapters are required and not covered in lecture.

Some books are also in the library, and there's also a computer lab that has some of the older versions of the textbooks you can use as reference.

Don't sweat to much about getting everything ready for classes. You still have orientation and 2 weeks of ward experience to get settled and other peoples' opinions on what worked for them.

Thanks for the info on our books...I had no idea there were so many. Now it makes sense why the 1st year alotment for books & supplies is $3000! :eek:
I'm going to do my best to hold off buying the books....but I really like to buy everything ahead of time. Maybe once I finish the paperwork for a $50,000 loan I won't be so anxious!

Question for MS-1's or -2's: Will you all be around during our orientation/ward experience so that we can ask you questions? And what is this "optional" orientation that happens before the REAL 2-day orientation? Also, what is the typical daily schedule like?
Thanks!

Hey all. I made the decision today. California here I come!

Thanks for the info on our books...I had no idea there were so many. Now it makes sense why the 1st year alotment for books & supplies is $3000! :eek:
I'm going to do my best to hold off buying the books....but I really like to buy everything ahead of time. Maybe once I finish the paperwork for a $50,000 loan I won't be so anxious!

Question for MS-1's or -2's: Will you all be around during our orientation/ward experience so that we can ask you questions? And what is this "optional" orientation that happens before the REAL 2-day orientation? Also, what is the typical daily schedule like?
Thanks!

The supplies will be the otoscope kit and misc. items. They say it's required, but a few of my classmates did not purchase them. If you're thinking about going into the missions field, It would be good to have. Otherwise most of the equipment we are tested on are in the patient rooms already, so you basically buy your own to practice with. You might also need it for 3rd year when you're on IM rotation. Those patient rooms don't have any equipment so having your own would be important.

The optional orientation is a personality workshop. I went to it and thought it was pretty interesting, plus you get to meet some of your classmates early. Typical daily schedule for orientation runs a good part of the day. They set aside some time to get your registration/financial aid/ID card/Health clearance done during orientation. I'd suggest getting it done before orientation starts so you don't have to wait in crazy lines. You might be able to ask if they can send you the 2006 orientation time line.

When you're an MS1, you will also be shadowing a MS3 or MS4 during your ward experience, so you'll definitely have time to ask them questions. As for MS2's, some of us will be around this summer and some will be on missions. We don't start back up again until September, so you'll already have a week or two of lectures before you'll see all of us back. There are some welcome events (during the two weeks of wards) put on by the alumni association that MS2's be helping out with too.

Dr. Who: Thanks for more great info!
When I asked about the schedule, I was actually referring to the first year schedule once lectures start...

Dr. Who: Thanks for more great info!
When I asked about the schedule, I was actually referring to the first year schedule once lectures start...

typical schedule is lecture 8-12; some days you'll have anatomy/histo/pdx/physio/ebm labs that are blocked for 2 hours anytime b/t 1-5. Wed 11-12 is always chapel, and you'll have Religion classes 9-10 on Tue & Thu. Some day's will be shorter, but that's basically more towards the end of first year. 12-1 is always set aside for lunch, and there are a lot of sm-related groups that will meet during 12-1, and they'll usually provide food if you sign up.

UGH! Morning classes are so early!! Oh, well...that means less sleep for me. At least we get a few afternoons off a week. Thanks for the heads up!

lol, yeah. I predict that I'll be that student that doesn't come to lecture much. Or Imma figure out some way around it via bring my video camera and setting it up or something else. Lecture sucks.

lol, yeah. I predict that I'll be that student that doesn't come to lecture much. Or Imma figure out some way around it via bring my video camera and setting it up or something else. Lecture sucks.

there are some lectures that you can probably learn the material faster if you just read it on your own. you should be able to figure which ones by the first or second quarter. most of the profs post their power points so use them to gauge what to focus on.

one thing to think about is that some profs will tell you what to focus on and what to skip.

also, i think there's been a general trend to encourage students to go to class by cutting down the content of the lecture handouts to basic outlines. in the past, profs have given out really comprehensive and detailed notes...but that doesn't happen as much anymore.

Dr. Who-

Thanks for the info!

I need to buy a new laptop this month (i.e. a foundation I am involved with will buy me one this month only). I am currently thinking small (12-13"), but am debating between tablet PC v. regular PC v. Macbook. Any LLU-specific input? Do many students bring their laptops to class to take notes? I definitely want a tablet PC if it will be useful, but I have heard that at some schools the lecture format makes them useless.

Thanks.

Both Dr. Hadley and Dr. Nyirady use Macs, if that means anything. I think I'm going to get a Mac, just because they are cool to use. I keep hearing that I should wait though because faster, better Macs are coming out sometime this month or next month. I'll have to do more research.

I just bought a PC notebook at the CompUSA going out of business sale. I had thought about getting a Mac, but I'm already used to PC...and that way everything will be compatible with my desktop at home. Plus, I'm not going to need any of the aspects of the computer that Mac does so much better than PC (video, photoshop, etc).

In terms of lectures, I was told by a MS-3.5ish (MD/PhD) that LLU is really paper-based, so I don't know how much we'll be using the computer in class. But it would be great to hear from an MS1or2, since they've recently changed the curriculum format.

Dr. Who-
I need to buy a new laptop this month (i.e. a foundation I am involved with will buy me one this month only). I am currently thinking small (12-13"), but am debating between tablet PC v. regular PC v. Macbook. Any LLU-specific input? Do many students bring their laptops to class to take notes? I definitely want a tablet PC if it will be useful, but I have heard that at some schools the lecture format makes them useless.

Less than 10 people bring their laptops to class for note-taking purposes. I found my laptop useful for anatomy because they post their powerpoints before they lecture, and you can use the notes section in powerpoint to write down clinical things they may say or clarify the slides. Other classes that post the powerpoints early are biochem, and some physiology profs. I think the immunology module was also posted early. However, some classes post the slides AFTER lecture, so using the handouts would be better. Some people print the powerpoints and condense the lecture handouts onto the powerpoints. This is particularly important for the professors that stress the lecture presentation rather than their notes.

LLU isn't particular for any type, so i guess it's just personal preference. A lot of people have macbooks but they're just like regular laptops. I think you can get a better deal on tablet pc for the same specs you might get from a mac. One of my classmates just got a mac after their pc died but has been complaining that powerpoint runs slower on the mac than their old pc. One of my classmates has the thinkpad x60 tablet and he's really liking it. I also hear of a 2nd year who has a tablet that scans all the handouts we get at the beginning of the quarter and uses his electronic copies to take notes on.

It's funny you ask because my computer right now is a 14" thinkpad and I was debating on whether to get the fujitsu 9" tablet pc or the thinkpad x60 tablet to use for class and studying. I heard 2nd year you won't have that much of an opportunity to use your laptop during class (unless you scan an electronic copy of the course syllabus) so i'm holding off on a decision until the end of summer.

thanks for all the useful information Dr. Who!! :) It's really nice hearing from a current student what the classes are like. Btw, does the campus have free wifi for students? I have a laptop, so being able to access the web on campus would be a big plus.

thanks for all the useful information Dr. Who!! :) It's really nice hearing from a current student what the classes are like. Btw, does the campus have free wifi for students? I have a laptop, so being able to access the web on campus would be a big plus.

Yup free wifi! it can be either good or bad, depending on how much it distracts one from studying...

there are also some free-use computer terminals around campus and the library also has a free laptop checkout service (4hr time blocks) if you don't bring yours to campus or don't have one to study with.

Hey Dr. Who?. How often do you make it to the Drayson center to exercise. I don't exercise much now, but I hope to excerise at least every day while there.

Welcome!!! And congrats!! :D
Are you a nurse practitioner? (NP2md)

Yes I am. I am working as a staff RN for now though. More flexibility with scheduling.

Hey Dr. Who?. How often do you make it to the Drayson center to exercise. I don't exercise much now, but I hope to excerise at least every day while there.

I was in the same boat. I don't like going to drayson because it gets pretty busy during peak hours. I have a pass to 24 hour fitness though, so if i go work out (well i will this summer) i usually go there. I do use drayson for the pool/tennis/volleyball courts. There's also a ballys and LA Fitness nearby. I don't get out too often though cause i usually take a nap after lectures then study. And by the time I think about exercising at night, sleep usually wins out.

There's plenty of time to go to drayson 1st and 2nd year. Some of my classmates go to drayson pretty consistently so don't sweat it if you're thinking about starting an exercise plan. It will work if you have the motivation.

I was in the same boat. I don't like going to drayson because it gets pretty busy during peak hours. I have a pass to 24 hour fitness though, so if i go work out (well i will this summer) i usually go there. I do use drayson for the pool/tennis/volleyball courts. There's also a ballys and LA Fitness nearby. I don't get out too often though cause i usually take a nap after lectures then study. And by the time I think about exercising at night, sleep usually wins out.

There's plenty of time to go to drayson 1st and 2nd year. Some of my classmates go to drayson pretty consistently so don't sweat it if you're thinking about starting an exercise plan. It will work if you have the motivation.

Does the Drayson Center offer group classes ie kick boxing, step, aerobics, abs, weights???

Does the Drayson Center offer group classes ie kick boxing, step, aerobics, abs, weights???
Go to the LLU website and search "Drayson". They have a schedule and descriptions of the classes and facilities. I was looking at them the other day. Unfortunately, I think we'll be in class during a lot of the classes, but there are some evening ones, like power yoga and pilates, I think. If you want a buddy for the classes, I'm there!!! I'm always better at going if I know someone else is keeping me accountable.

yup! doc4good did some pretty good research. they started a caporeia class, and there's also tai chi and i think i've seen fencing. there's also a lot of IM sports every quarter too, so be prepared for your class to start a dodgeball team...the med school is the best at that. our class lost to the second years in the finals this year...

yup! doc4good did some pretty good research. they started a caporeia class, and there's also tai chi and i think i've seen fencing. there's also a lot of IM sports every quarter too, so be prepared for your class to start a dodgeball team...the med school is the best at that. our class lost to the second years in the finals this year...

what about IM basketball? very very important to me..haha

Are you really good? Lol, we have to play each other one day; winner takes all...residency spot, fellowship spot...everything :)

haha "good" is a very subjective term....but i can dribble and throw it in the air and it occasionally goes through the hoop :) haha..but my IM team here in CP are the 2 time IM champions (of the 6ft under league that is...)

Lol, no need to be humble. 4 years of being a premed in college of taken away any skill I had left over from high school. I really want to try to pick up raquetball. I took a class last semester and I really loved it.

Raquetball is not as easy as it looks. I don't think its for me..haha
The Drayson center is something I am really looking forward to though. Can't wait to relieve the stress of school with some exercise

Hey DrWho. A teacher of mine gave me all the notes for the whole school year for the class of 2009. Is this even useful to me? Will LLU give me all the notes for the whole school year for the class of 2011 in August?

Hey DrWho. A teacher of mine gave me all the notes for the whole school year for the class of 2009. Is this even useful to me? Will LLU give me all the notes for the whole school year for the class of 2011 in August?

LLU will give you the notes needed before each quarter so you won't need the 2009 notes. Since c/o 2009 was the first year they changed to a systems-based curriculum, they ended up changing the order for us this year, and who knows what changes they will make for you guys. Some profs also update their notes, so it's advisable to use the ones you get.

Congrats to everyone starting in August . . . I'm graduating in three short weeks and it's been a long strange journey - can't tell you I'd do it all over again if I had to, but I don't regret enough to wish I'd done it different. It makes me smile to see the enthusiasm of everyone showing up - get ready for your life to change!

I'm glad to see there is a first year clearing the air about classes and notes - that's all different from when I started in 2002, but I thought I'd toss in my few cents.

Living: If you're not from California, just expect to pay a lot for rent. Accept it. Move on. Unless you are used to it, do NOT live in San Bernadino, Colton, or Rialto. Stick with Loma Linda, Redlands, and Grand Terrace. (I was kicking it in a huge two bedroom for 425 a month in Lincoln, NE before moving out here and I was more than a bit surprised that my rent had doubled, and that was 5 years ago - good luck)

Optional personality orientation - GO. It is interesting, and you aren't doing anything the day beofre the real orientation except climbing the walls.

Drayson center: You will have lots of time during the first two years to go. After 3 PM that place is ALL social hour and meat/meet market - if you are actually there to workout this will piss you off. Go right after class or if you're skipping class . . . I personally gave up on Drayson during third year and broke down and got a LA fitness membership. They have a lot of cool programs/classes (Karate classes cost money). You can find me in yoga on Wednesday nights.

Couple of med-school realted blogs by two friends of mine who I'm sure won't mind the traffic. Both just finished Sub-I's at the County and have some interesting stories recently:

http://hotchkiss4.blogspot.com/

http://medicallychallenged.blogspot.com/

Taste of the clinical years, if you like.

Anything else you want to ask go for it. My PM is open if you prefer. Good luck guys.

Congrats to everyone starting in August . . . I'm graduating in three short weeks and it's been a long strange journey - can't tell you I'd do it all over again if I had to, but I don't regret enough to wish I'd done it different. It makes me smile to see the enthusiasm of everyone showing up - get ready for your life to change!

I'm glad to see there is a first year clearing the air about classes and notes - that's all different from when I started in 2002, but I thought I'd toss in my few cents.

Living: If you're not from California, just expect to pay a lot for rent. Accept it. Move on. Unless you are used to it, do NOT live in San Bernadino, Colton, or Rialto. Stick with Loma Linda, Redlands, and Grand Terrace. (I was kicking it in a huge two bedroom for 425 a month in Lincoln, NE before moving out here and I was more than a bit surprised that my rent had doubled, and that was 5 years ago - good luck)

Optional personality orientation - GO. It is interesting, and you aren't doing anything the day beofre the real orientation except climbing the walls.

Drayson center: You will have lots of time during the first two years to go. After 3 PM that place is ALL social hour and meat/meet market - if you are actually there to workout this will piss you off. Go right after class or if you're skipping class . . . I personally gave up on Drayson during third year and broke down and got a LA fitness membership. They have a lot of cool programs/classes (Karate classes cost money). You can find me in yoga on Wednesday nights.

Couple of med-school realted blogs by two friends of mine who I'm sure won't mind the traffic. Both just finished Sub-I's at the County and have some interesting stories recently:

http://hotchkiss4.blogspot.com/

http://medicallychallenged.blogspot.com/

Taste of the clinical years, if you like.

Anything else you want to ask go for it. My PM is open if you prefer. Good luck guys.
Great Blogs! (I've read almost all of them!)

Great Blogs! (I've read almost all of them!)

They will appreciate the traffic. As a blogger yourself, I'm sure you can appreciate the frustration of low visitation. Myself, I don't blog about school much - one angry rant - but whatever I'm into, mostly political stuff. I made a breakthrough in therapy a few weeks back, and you can tell because my latest stuff is way less angry. :D

Glad you're coming to LLU. Being form somewhere else be prepared for the culture shock. People from california - most of your classmates - do not get it. Its different. Don't let it change. Don't lose yourself.

They will appreciate the traffic. As a blogger yourself, I'm sure you can appreciate the frustration of low visitation. Myself, I don't blog about school much - one angry rant - but whatever I'm into, mostly political stuff. I made a breakthrough in therapy a few weeks back, and you can tell because my latest stuff is way less angry. :D

Glad you're coming to LLU. Being form somewhere else be prepared for the culture shock. People from california - most of your classmates - do not get it. Its different. Don't let it change. Don't lose yourself.

While the topic of Culture Shock (CS) has been brought up, I can say most of the Cali people I know get the CS. I won't go into details, but I've spent some time living in the south before school started, so perhaps that's opened my perspective on life in the US. With that being said, things are definitely different here at Loma Linda. So different that, being from SoCal, life in the inland empire is NOT representative of typical Southern California. So enjoy your time in Loma Linda and definitely explore what the REAL SoCal has to offer.