Loma Linda University School of Medicine Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why did you decide to attend Loma Linda School of Medicine?

• Religious aspect of program

Votes: 42 60.0%
  • Didn't have any choice, it was the only school that would accept me!

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • The tuition!

Votes: 6 8.6%
    Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Friends

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Parent relative was an alumnus

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters
I'd love to get a spot in the dorms. That's part of the problem. I applied and they responded by saying that they're putting students wanting to get in, in the fall on a waitlist. They clearly didn't recognize that we need to be there from the 2nd summer session on. I think I'm going to try calling them, but it's not looking good. What did they say when you applied? Did you apply a million years ago? Hopefully I find something. It's now only a month out. Yikes. I can't wait till I'm settled and in class.

Which dormitory did you try? I know there are some coed arrangements/ apartments, but I actually will be in the women's dorm. I applied sometime around the end of May. I had my room assignment I'd say less than 2 weeks after my deposit cleared. I think you definitely should go with your instinct to call and let them know that you need a place for the summer. Also, it might buy you more time to look for a place if you tell them you're only staying for the summer. Then once you get out there you can actually see some places and shop around a bit. It can't hurt since like I said the dorm is wicked cheap- around 235 per month. Can't go wrong there.

Members don't see this ad.

29 miles? Hope it doesn't take you more than a hour to drive there. The traffic in SoCal kills most of the practicality of doing any activity. Hope you guys have time to jump out of planes. Although, I know a good trauma center in the area if you have an accident . . .

Nope, I actually took the 215 and got there in about half an hour...

Oh, and didnt anyone ever tell you that skydiving is much safer than driving on the freeway... especially in So.Cal?

Nope, I actually took the 215 and got there in about half an hour...

Oh, and didnt anyone ever tell you that skydiving is much safer than driving on the freeway... especially in So.Cal?

Try riding a motorcycle! :thumbup:

What time of day were you heading out there? The 215/91 interchange blows goats almost anytime of the day and is a nightmare during the rush. Anyway . . . I'm really, really, really glad to hear that you're going to keep up with your skydiving. Balance is the key to keeping sanity (and sobriety!) :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey jdh71. So they told us that we needed to buy like $750 worth of medical equipment. Will we actually need any of that during 1st year, or can we wait until the beginning of 3rd year to buy that stuff?

A LITTLE NOTE ON THE PHYSIO BOOKS

Cellular Physiology, 1st Ed.
Cardiovascular Physiology, 6th Ed.
Respiratory Physiology, 7th Ed.
Gastrointestinal Physiology, 1st. Ed.
Vander's Renal Physiology, 6th Ed.
Endocrine Physiology, 2nd Ed.

I was on the physio curriculum review committee and we all agreed the textbook they suggested for our year (some Bourne, Boep? i don't recall because i never read it) was way too detailed for our class. We suggested the profs use Costanza's Physio Book, but we could not come to a consensus on which was better, the BRS Costanza or the Textbook Costanza. Both are good...personally I used BRS, class notes and Wikipedia...

The book list that was provided was a compilation of all the systems-specific books the prof's used (esp. Resp Physilogy by WEST) but not necessarily announced to the whole class. So, what Dr. Angeles is providing is a list of all available books you could possibly use, but i would not say they are all required.

Hey jdh71. So they told us that we needed to buy like $750 worth of medical equipment. Will we actually need any of that during 1st year, or can we wait until the beginning of 3rd year to buy that stuff?

I'm not jdh71, but i can tell you they will be used but not all at once. You will learn how to use them throughout the year in PDX lab. They are good to practice with and you will definitely use them at the end of your first year for your Clinical Skills Exam. However, you might be able to get by sharing with classmates if you are in different PDX lab groups.

Your physical diagnosis classes will begin 1st year, so you'll need the equipment for that, and you will want your stethoscope during the two weeks in the hospital. I always showed my 1st years abnormal heart and lung sounds if they were present. If you know any docs - friends or family who have some of the basic stuff - you can show up with it and you won't have to buy the opthalmascope and otoscope

A LITTLE NOTE ON THE PHYSIO BOOKS

Cellular Physiology, 1st Ed.
Cardiovascular Physiology, 6th Ed.
Respiratory Physiology, 7th Ed.
Gastrointestinal Physiology, 1st. Ed.
Vander's Renal Physiology, 6th Ed.
Endocrine Physiology, 2nd Ed.

I was on the physio curriculum review committee and we all agreed the textbook they suggested for our year (some Bourne, Boep? i don't recall because i never read it) was way too detailed for our class. We suggested the profs use Costanza's Physio Book, but we could not come to a consensus on which was better, the BRS Costanza or the Textbook Costanza. Both are good...personally I used BRS, class notes and Wikipedia...

The book list that was provided was a compilation of all the systems-specific books the prof's used (esp. Resp Physilogy by WEST) but not necessarily announced to the whole class. So, what Dr. Angeles is providing is a list of all available books you could possibly use, but i would not say they are all required.

I used the Costanzo TEXT, not the BRS, for primary reference - easy reading, covers topics MUCH better than any lecturer and I owned phys . . .

The BRS is a good review - assumes you have a good technical grasp of the concepts - it's NOT a great book for primary study. Sometimes you need someone to spell it out and the BRS does not do that.

Whatever happened to the Case Book by Costanzo? Is that still around? It was put out by BRS and was yellow in color? That book was awesome! I gave mine away . . .

Try riding a motorcycle! :thumbup:

What time of day were you heading out there? The 215/91 interchange blows goats almost anytime of the day and is a nightmare during the rush. Anyway . . . I'm really, really, really glad to hear that you're going to keep up with your skydiving. Balance is the key to keeping sanity (and sobriety!) :D

OOOO….motorcycles….I just got a new 2007 Daytona Triumph to weave the traffic, hoping for more study time.

For those looking for a place to stay, im a 3rd year medical student. Im from Texas and dont really like to drive when i dont have to which is why I live where I live. I have a room available for rent.

Here are the specifics
Rent $475 + utilities
2 bedroom triplex
location: 11214 Benton St. loma linda 92354 (mapquest if you want)
across the street from the VA on prospect 10 min walk to Shryock and Alumni(this is where you will live if you dont already know)
large closets
tile floors
washer/dryer

909-771-9134
[email protected]

Hi! I’m a 22 yr old Christian (non-SDA) female who will be a first year med student. I would like to room with another Christian female student, preferably another first year med student. No drinking, drugs, smoking, etc. Anyone interested? Just let me know

I have a question on loans. I got the stafford loans etc. through T.H.E. However they expect me to pay for my own living expenses. I am quiting my job so I will have no income. How do I pay for my living expenses? Is there some one else in the same situation? Or do I need to go talk to them and see if there is any other loans that I could use?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question on loans. I got the stafford loans etc. through T.H.E. However they expect me to pay for my own living expenses. I am quiting my job so I will have no income. How do I pay for my living expenses? Is there some one else in the same situation? Or do I need to go talk to them and see if there is any other loans that I could use?

Really? Did you make good money in your job last year? Most student's get living expenses (up to ~$1100/month) - because you do not have a job - and tuition paid for. You need talk to finacial aid. You may need a private loan to get you by this year, but after this year with no income, you can also use the staffords for living.

I made about $30k last year. Don't know how much it really effects it. What makes no sense is that it shouldn't matter how much I make, because ultimately most people don't keep their jobs when they start school.

I made about $30k last year. Don't know how much it really effects it. What makes no sense is that it shouldn't matter how much I make, because ultimately most people don't keep their jobs when they start school.

Right . . . but if you made, like a mazigcerillion dollars last year, you may have trouble getting financial aid for living expenses for the year 2007. Did you include your parents info? Unless your parents are really poor and or minority, they will not help you. Is it possible your folks made a good living and this is counting against you? Or maybe nice trust fund you included in your FAFSA info?

Either way. You need to talk to financial aid. Everything will be cool.

Well I didn't put my parents on it, because I am married. They don't make much anyway. Luckily my wife is just starting her job, so it won't be an issue this year. Who know about next year.

Well I didn't put my parents on it, because I am married. They don't make much anyway. Luckily my wife is just starting her job, so it won't be an issue this year. Who know about next year.

it all sounds a little strange to me, but I believe you. Before I was married I was able to get full living expenses, but after U was married and with my wife working, the amount of money from student loans for living expenses basically cut in half. You can easily enough find private loans. The folks at financial aid can help you.

Just curious with a SDN handle like "twolfbear" are you native american? Lots of alternative - meaning non-government - resources available to natives americans.

it all sounds a little strange to me, but I believe you. Before I was married I was able to get full living expenses, but after U was married and with my wife working, the amount of money from student loans for living expenses basically cut in half. You can easily enough find private loans. The folks at financial aid can help you.

Just curious with a SDN handle like "twolfbear" are you native american? Lots of alternative - meaning non-government - resources available to natives americans.

I am only a small portion of Indian. Mostly I am Scottish, so I am unable to claim as a URM. My last name containes Bear. First name starts with T. Wolf I inherited as a nickname. I've used the combination of words as my nickname for games, e-mails, etc. for years.

I just picked up my ID card, and parking permit. The lady in the office told me to remind everyone that you can come in early to pick this stuff up. Thought I would tell everyone.

Unless your parents are really poor and or minority, they will not help you. Is it possible your folks made a good living and this is counting against you? Or maybe nice trust fund you included in your FAFSA info?
That is not true. Putting down your parents' info can only help you. You'll still get the full Stafford gov't loans no matter what, but you might get an extra $5000 from the school if you put your parents' info, even if they make good money.

this thread seems to be slowly dying as we approach critical mass...

all i've got to say is: holy crap, 12 days and counting!!!

That is not true. Putting down your parents' info can only help you. You'll still get the full Stafford gov't loans no matter what, but you might get an extra $5000 from the school if you put your parents' info, even if they make good money.

define "good money" - I'm dubious about your free 5 grand, but I've got no real dog in this fight. I didn't give my parents info because its none of their damn business. You collected a cool 5 g's . . . kudos, but I doubt it was because your folks are rolling in it . . .

People can make up their own minds I guess . . .

define "good money" - I'm dubious about your free 5 grand, but I've got no real dog in this fight. I didn't give my parents info because its none of their damn business. You collected a cool 5 g's . . . kudos, but I doubt it was because your folks are rolling in it . . .

Appreciate your comment, but since this is a christian school, could you keep the expletives out your comments next time. thank you:)

Appreciate your comment, but since this is a christian school, could you keep the expletives out your comments next time. thank you:)

Which expletive do you speak?

Yeah, LLU is Christian, but you'll soon see the pagans running amok. You want a party? You'll find it. You want drugs - weed, coke, xanax, vicodin, ritilin, adderal? You'll find it. Atheism? You'll find it (I've often wondered how these folks feel by frauding the vetting system in place to make sure christian doc's get trained).

We're all sinners my friend. I wasn't sitting in church yesterday because I've figured it out, but because I'm in need of a Savior. My life is unmanageable without Him. He's still working on me . . .

Which expletive do you speak?

Yeah, LLU is Christian, but you'll soon see the pagans running amok. You want a party? You'll find it. You want drugs - weed, coke, xanax, vicodin, ritilin, adderal? You'll find it. Atheism? You'll find it (I've often wondered how these folks feel by frauding the vetting system in place to make sure christian doc's get trained).

We're all sinners my friend. I wasn't sitting in church yesterday because I've figured it out, but because I'm in need of a Savior. My life is unmanageable without Him. He's still working on me . . .

A Christian doctor (aim to shoot). Let work with self first. The temple. :D...Hit Drayson...........Vegetarian diet eh? And of course, nothin' to harm thy mind, soul, spirit. With this you're on the right track...
Paganism is only passe. Once you see the path, med. schools. gonna b a breeze and you'll find the purpose and the statues (the samaritan one) it just hits you---you know why you are here. One-two do gooders, is good enough for the incubation and infection...to spread.....etc .etc. Yeah if he's taking a break from you sometimes, in your bad times, is when he is actually carrying you through it all the way, so things just work out fine (2 me) (read this somewhere)....dude...;)

Holy Crap, Damn is an expletive? What about dang, can I say dang?

Uh, yeah - anyway nitpicking stuff like that is a little too nitpicky, in my obviously very humble opinion.

I WOULD say something like "You do realize that Jesus drank wine, don't you? And not grape juice either, my friend, the real alcoholic stuff" in order to set up an analogy of Christian freedom.

But the problem with that is that the pharisees would misunderstand me and think that I was really only trying to justify drunkenness, and the drunks would think that I was simply trying to justify drunkenness. you see? That's why I'm not going to say it. Oh, wait, I might already have - sh - shoot!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Hey Docta Jay. I hope you brought plenty of shorts, man, 'cause it's really *expletive* hot here!

I've been going to Drayson for the last 2 months and its an OK gym. Don't get me wrong, if you know what you're doing, you can get a complete, satisfactory workout. But if you're looking for a weight room or a cardio room, it is very basic - you may have to wait a while for one of the 2 benches, 1 squat rack, handful of treadmills, etc. It's no Bally's or whatever big gym you may or may not be used to. Having said that, I'll keep working out there for the next 4 years since it's free - I'll just keep the workout flexible.

Oh and you need to get your student ID from student services before you can get your membership at Drayson. This means that you need to get financial clearance, immunizations, transcripts, and, of course, registration. Do all of that, get your ID badge, then you will be pumping iron in the Drayson center in no time... in fact, I'm headed there now!

jdh71 and to the rest that think that damn is not an expletive,

Let me ask you question. Do you guys think that using those words on here is appropriate to express yourself? This is a place to inform and to be informed on medical school, not for expressing yourself like you would with your friends. Let's try to distinguish ourselves from the other forums on here with your language and expression of thought. As Jesus said, we should go out into the world, but not to become of or like the world. Thanks guys.:)

jdh71 and to the rest that think that damn is not an expletive,

Let me ask you question. Do you guys think that using those words on here is appropriate to express yourself? This is a place to inform and to be informed on medical school, not for expressing yourself like you would with your friends. Let's try to distinguish ourselves from the other forums on here with your language and expression of thought. As Jesus said, we should go out into the world, but not to become of or like the world. Thanks guys.:)

I'm not here to cause offense, and if it will make you more comfortable, then I will refrain from using "damn".

I thought damn was in the bible....ah well guess it's not okay to use words from the bible.

So how about them Knicks?

lol, looks like we almost got into a theological debate. Anyway, I'm in the LLU area right now and I'm so excited! I still need to find a mattress and a fridge, and furniture, so I think I may head out to Ikea tomorrow to get some more shopping down. Is anyone else accesorizing their place now?

I still need to find a mattress and a fridge, and furniture, so I think I may head out to Ikea tomorrow to get some more shopping down. Is anyone else accesorizing their place now?

I think there is a free classified/ads(Trading Post) for the LLU area, you can check stuff like a fridge/furniture (Used) @ a pretty good price sometimes. The "Classified" probably lying around Drayson/Med Ctr/Library.:)

I never said it was free. It's a loan, and it has to be repaid, but it's an interest-free loan while you're in school.

Talk with the financial aid office if you don't believe me. Putting down your parents' info can only get you MORE money, not less.

DoctaJay and his new wife finally got his picture taken...welcome to Potpourri...How's the marriage?

Lol, I see you too mr. bear. This is so cool that the class if forming already! Marriage is truly wonderful my friend. Did you just get married too or are you a veteran?

Is anyone going to the meet 'n greet?

Been married since December......hey is the meet n greet the event at the beach?

Putting down your parents' info can only get you MORE money, not less.

If they do not make a lot of money . . .

the US government will give you loans for tutition all day long as they have a policy of funding all medical education, all you have to do is ask - anybody (with the exception of foreign nationals - sucks to be a Canadian at LLU from a financial aid standpoint) - no questions asked.

Parental information may not be used against you, but if you KNOW it will not help, then politely tell them it's none of their business, as I did all 4 years.

You may do whatever you like soak . . . welcome to medicine

Been married since December......hey is the meet n greet the event at the beach?
Yeah. You can check out the facebook group for more info. I hear its an 1 1/2 away from LLU, but I guess that's were all the good beaches are. I may carpool with some folks out there. Who else is going?

I joined facebook, but all I saw is that it's at Newport. What time is everyone going to be there....and also where exactly at Newport? Newport is a big place with multiple places to meet at.

Lol. Are you doing your residency in the LLU area? Will you possibly teaching us?

Doing some medical research this year.

Residency . . . that's a long story (if I run into you in person, I'll share). It's a good possibility I'll be doing residency there starting next July. So teaching you soaks is a possibility :D

Question(s):

I don't have any scrubs or lab coats, and from what I understand formalin and cadaver juice is pretty crappy.

So I was wondering if
a) it is just common sense that everyone wears scrubs/coat to anatomy lab?
and b) if so, where is the best place to get a few pair of scrubs and a coat or two?

I's like to spend as little money as possible since I'm sure I'll chuck them after gross anatomy, but I also don't want a crappy pair that may rip/leak/or worse. Ebay? Someplace locally in Loma Linda/Redlands? doubtful, but the campus store?

Also, how long is gross anatomy dissection at LLU? All of 1st year? half of 1st year?

Also any anatomy lab tips would be very helpful. Guess that's it for now - Thanks a million.

A current 2nd year told me that the money that LLU allots for books and supplies is not touchable. Meaning that I can't take that money to go and buy some new shoes, or etc. Is that true? I thought they just cut us a check for the rest of the money after tuition is taken out, but if they allot money for books and supplies before they give us the rest of the money, I'll have to do some serious penny pinching.