Loma Linda? USC? Any thoughts on these programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMApplicant

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I haven't been able to dig up too much on either Loma Linda or the LAC-USC programs, anybody have any insights on these programs? Thanks! EMapp

Members don't see this ad.

EMApplicant said:
Hi all,

I haven't been able to dig up too much on either Loma Linda or the LAC-USC programs, anybody have any insights on these programs? Thanks! EMapp

I did a month rotation at USC/LAC, so I'll give you my impressions.

First, let's be clear, this program isn't for the faint of heart. From what people tell me, the environment is comparable to the old Cook County and King's County. However, the new hospital is scheduled to open by our PGY-3 year (2007), so given Cook County's experience, certain aspects should improve significantly.

That being said, the residents are frickin' studs :thumbup: -- you will be able to handle anything after residency. The pathology is ridiculous. No shortage of procedures, trauma, and critical care experience (the ED typically has a couple-several ICU patients at any one point in time). The level of independence is super high -- as a PGY-3, you run the jail ED, during some shifts run the fasttrack (1060), and alternate C-booth/running a side in 1350. PGY-4's run 1350. No hand-holding. I'm sure they'll figure out how to maintain this once they move to the new ED. I'll say that, even as a med student, after my month at USC/LAC and another county program, doing shifts at my local community-based program felt tedious and restrictive.

The program has been historically dinged for teaching and attending coverage. The teaching is much better than the rumors I heard beforehand. Formal didactics are fine. They have awesome, dynamic faculty and recently got some moola to add on another 1-2 full-time faculty members. As for attending coverage, it's definitely on the low end, as most county programs. But in their opinion, their current coverage levels are not a problem. I suspect that they would say that it's more than sufficient and a central asset to their training.

Ah, that's enough rambling. Hopefully this added something to what's already been written on scutwork.com. Once you're there, you should get a good sense pretty fast if it fits your personality or not. ;)

I just got back from LAC/USC's EM conference in Vegas. Drs. Mallon, Herbert, Swadron, and several others spoke, and all gave outstanding presentations.

Working at any county program will be busy, and bedside teaching may sometimes be at a premium, but for didactics and clinical exposure, I don't think you'll be lacking for anything.

Thanks dlung and sheerstress! I'll be interviewing there in January. Sounds like a cool place.

Anyone with info on Loma Linda?