Loma Linda vs. Rush Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingHulaJack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a PGY-1 Prelim at a Gen Surg Progrm who just received anesthesia offers from 2 programs. I got one from Rush, and one from Loma Linda. Which one is better? What do you guys know about each? Advantages/disadvantages? Reputation?

In addition, I signed an offer from Rush because it came earlier w/ a deadline. Is it possible to pull back an offer as long as I do it soon? I did not sign a contract. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an applicant, who will match the year behind you, but I am familiar with Loma Linda, as you might notice from the signature. About 8 of my med school classmates are CA-3's there, and have uniformly enjoyed their experience while feeling like they got a great education. The call schedule is pretty nice, and the regional (think geography, not nerve blocks, etc) reputation is very good. The residents get an exceptional pediatric exposure, which is a part of anesthesia that scares many new attendings, so that seems to be a good thing (I drank a little of the Kool-Aid)

So, if you want to be in Southern California and can deal with exclusively vegetarian food in the cafeteria, Loma Linda might be for you.

I can't tell you anything about Rush.

I do have a question, how did you get to this point without knowing more about these programs?

Please take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'm not a mid westerner and I am used to warm weather.

I interviewed at Rush and Loma Linda. Between the two I would definitely go to Loma Linda. While Rush is in Chicago I just got a weird vibe from the residents. It sounds like they are overworked and generally not as enthusiastic about their program as the Loma Linda residents. The chief that talked with us was super weird too trying so hard to sell the program that clearly had a very bad reputation among applicants. Also the hospital is in transition b/c they are building a new facility that will be done after you are gone. That being said 5 year ACGME accreditation and you will come out of there a competent and capable anesthesiologist as they are very interested in your education (which is why they say they work you so hard). I would personally just be miserable there. But if you love the midwest go to Rush.

Loma Linda on the other hand seems to have happier residents overall. The location is not the best. While technically it is in SoCal its about 1+ hour drive away from LA. Loma Linda is a nice safe community if I had kids I think the town would be perfect. Loma Linda is a good launching spot to get to skiing and the beach but you gotta drive ... far. The hospital is nice and feels new and well kept, the ancillary staff are very nice (something to do with 7th day adventists being nice by nature). Its true that there is only vegetarian food there and <gasp> no coffee in the cafeteria. But the food was excellent (i'm not a vegetarian) and evidently you can find coffee pots hidden throughout the hospital. You get to do every kind of case in Loma Linda b/c it serves some of the poorest, fattest, drunkest, most violent areas in SoCal (inland empire). I got a the impression that the resident faculty interaction was positive and I like the PD and my other two interviewers. Residents seemed happy. Research opportunities are available although Loma Linda is not a research power house. Everyone seems to be into outdoor activities.

If it were my choice, Loma Linda without hesitation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'm not a mid westerner and I am used to warm weather.

I interviewed at Rush and Loma Linda. Between the two I would definitely go to Loma Linda. While Rush is in Chicago I just got a weird vibe from the residents. It sounds like they are overworked and generally not as enthusiastic about their program as the Loma Linda residents. The chief that talked with us was super weird too trying so hard to sell the program that clearly had a very bad reputation among applicants. Also the hospital is in transition b/c they are building a new facility that will be done after you are gone. That being said 5 year ACGME accreditation and you will come out of there a competent and capable anesthesiologist as they are very interested in your education (which is why they say they work you so hard). I would personally just be miserable there. But if you love the midwest go to Rush.

Loma Linda on the other hand seems to have happier residents overall. The location is not the best. While technically it is in SoCal its about 1+ hour drive away from LA. Loma Linda is a nice safe community if I had kids I think the town would be perfect. Loma Linda is a good launching spot to get to skiing and the beach but you gotta drive ... far. The hospital is nice and feels new and well kept, the ancillary staff are very nice (something to do with 7th day adventists being nice by nature). Its true that there is only vegetarian food there and <gasp> no coffee in the cafeteria. But the food was excellent (i'm not a vegetarian) and evidently you can find coffee pots hidden throughout the hospital. You get to do every kind of case in Loma Linda b/c it serves some of the poorest, fattest, drunkest, most violent areas in SoCal (inland empire). I got a the impression that the resident faculty interaction was positive and I like the PD and my other two interviewers. Residents seemed happy. Research opportunities are available although Loma Linda is not a research power house. Everyone seems to be into outdoor activities.

If it were my choice, Loma Linda without hesitation.

Really, worse than East LA and County?

Really, worse than East LA and County?

Different things, but covering some of the same type of patients, with a healthy dose of rednecks thrown in. The two counties associated with the area are among the largest in the lower 48, with quite a bit of empty land. You get people flown in from a large catchment area stretching to the Nevada and Arizona borders, plus the population of the IE (in the local parlance) is pretty diverse and contains some areas of pretty shocking poverty, both the inner city and rural varieties.

Of course, like most SoCal programs, you are also going to see the uninsured immigrant population, who often seek care only when they realize something is severely wrong (not all their fault, they don't have great access to care), so you get some interesting problems.

I'm biased having spent time there, but I'd happily return there for residency, even though I'm not Seventh-Day Adventist and I love coffee (it's true about the hidden pots throughout the hospital).

It is true that you are at least an hour from anywhere that tourists might want to go, and in that hour you won't be passing much of anywhere worth stopping at.

Loma linda is probably a good gateway to socal private practice right?