Loma Linda vs. Temple: For specializing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stroszeck

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure which school to attend. I want to specialize down the line, and BOTH schools claim high match rates (Temple states 90%...!?). I understand how some schools, such as Harvard and UPENN have such high rates, but as for Temple or Loma I don't really know that much about that aspect of their dental education (I've been too busy trying to get accepted). Any info from current students/graduates of either schools would be TREMENDOUS help.

Members don't see this ad.

Stroszeck said:
I'm not sure which school to attend. I want to specialize down the line, and BOTH schools claim high match rates (Temple states 90%...!?). I understand how some schools, such as Harvard and UPENN have such high rates, but as for Temple or Loma I don't really know that much about that aspect of their dental education (I've been too busy trying to get accepted). Any info from current students/graduates of either schools would be TREMENDOUS help.

When Temple says that 90% specialize, that includes GPR/AEGD residencies which are not difficult to get into....so that stat is really meaningless and you shouldnt listen to it. Many schools use these type of stats to lure in prospective students and I think its very misleading and wrong.

Predents have to get out of their head that going to the school matters where you specialize. Your class rank and board scores are the biggest factor.....everyone takes the same boards, studies from the same decks.....it all depends on how much YOU put into it......your school aint gonna get you a 90+ for you.

Dont pick a school based on specialization (especially since you have no idea what each specialty does).......goto a school thats cheap, good clinical, and most importantly, where YOU feel comfortable with. Your chances of specialization will be directly proportional to how hard you work.

Dr.BadVibes said:
When Temple says that 90% specialize, that includes GPR/AEGD residencies which are not difficult to get into....
90% ? I figure max 30% actually specializes for real. So why are so many Temple grads going for GPR/AEGD residencies if Temple is this amazing clinical school that leaves you ready to be in private practice day one after graduation, like everybody says? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice question! Answers...? :confused:

SuperTrooper said:
90% ? I figure max 30% actually specializes for real. So why are so many Temple grads going for GPR/AEGD residencies if Temple is this amazing clinical school that leaves you ready to be in private practice day one after graduation, like everybody says? :confused:

Personally, I dont know where this 90% stat came from.....Ive never heard of it. From all the seniors I talked to, they are either waiting to hear from specialities or they are going right into private practice.....

I was just commenting on how many schools try and impress their interviewees with these misleading stats....you see, I dont compromise my opinions even if my school is involved. I think its wrong. that Temple does this if this is true (in my Temple interview, they never said this stat)

SuperTrooper said:

This is the way it is at most schools. Students either want to go to one year residencies to either learn a skill they havn't learned, such as hospital based dentistry, or they just simply feel that they are not ready for private practice, such as improving their speed. There are many other reasons too. Everyone who I have talked to that has done a one year residency and has moved onto private practice has said that was a good experience and I havn't heard of any dental grad claiming to know everything he or she needs to know just from dental school

superchris147 said:
This is the way it is at most schools. Students either want to go to one year residencies to either learn a skill they havn't learned, such as hospital based dentistry, or they just simply feel that they are not ready for private practice, such as improving their speed. There are many other reasons too. Everyone who I have talked to that has done a one year residency and has moved onto private practice has said that was a good experience and I havn't heard of any dental grad claiming to know everything he or she needs to know just from dental school
Yeah, I totally agree that doing a GPR is a good idea. My question was sorta rhetorical. I guess I was just trying to bring attention to the point that i've seen a lot of people on these dental forums say stuff like: "Don't go to Harvard or Columbia because they don't teach you dental clinical skills. You're just gonna have to do a GPR/AEGD if you want to be a general practicioner and that sucks. It's essentially a 5-year program." People on these forums bash GPRs like doing them shows a sign of weakness, when in reality, nobody is ready to be in private practice right out of D-school.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Personally, I dont know where this 90% stat came from.....Ive never heard of it. From all the seniors I talked to, they are either waiting to hear from specialities or they are going right into private practice.....
So, temple is giving false stats for an already misleading figure?

:laugh: Well, two negatives make a positive, right?!

SuperTrooper said:
So, temple is giving false stats for an already misleading figure?

:laugh: Well, two negatives make a positive, right?!

I never said that this was a false stat.....I just said I never heard of it....but remember, Im only a student.....if this is what Brian is telling the interviewees, then its true.....but its still misleading

SuperTrooper said:
Yeah, I totally agree that doing a GPR is a good idea. My question was sorta rhetorical. I guess I was just trying to bring attention to the point that i've seen a lot of people on these dental forums say stuff like: "Don't go to Harvard or Columbia because they don't teach you dental clinical skills. You're just gonna have to do a GPR/AEGD if you want to be a general practicioner and that sucks. It's essentially a 5-year program." People on these forums bash GPRs like doing them shows a sign of weakness, when in reality, nobody is ready to be in private practice right out of D-school.

I never once bashed a GPR....all Im saying is that I would rather try and master procedures that were not taught to me in dental school rather than basic procedures that I should have mastered while paying that hefty tuition in dental school

Graduates from clinical schools such as mine have done thousands of basic dental procedures like extractions, crowns, fillings WHILE IN DENTAL SCHOOL. So when they go out, they dont need to refine those skills....they can move onto learning about new procedures like implants, veneers, complex endo....stuff like that....get it?

Also, when I first entered dental school, the first thing that was in my mailbox was a pamphlet from the ADA....on the front it stated two facts:

1. The average debt of a US dental student is $142,000
2. 70% of US dental graduates enter a private practice facility right after graduation

I am pretty sure that matching rate mean that percent of people getting in out the people that applied. So it is not measleading because not everyone applies to it.