Loma Linda vs USC dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loma Linda vs USC

• Total voters

Gard115

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I just want to hear other peoples opinions about these two dental schools. I got accepted into both and need to make my decision soon. I am from the Loma Linda area and being near my close friends and family sounds nice, but I am not SDA and dont like that i can get expelled if I get caught having a drink. I think it would be cool to live in LA if i go to USC and have a team to cheer for during football season, but USC is estimated to be 85 grand more expensive. Any other knowledge on these schools would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

This really is a no brainer, go to Loma Linda.
The difference is not 85K, with accruing annual interest USC will be over $100,000 more expensive than Loma Linda.
Your clinical education, proximity to family/friends, minimizing financial debt, and didactic curriculum should be your priority when choosing between schools.
If you still attend USC because you wanna go drinking and watch football, then don't say you weren't warned.
Loma Linda will train you better, has a better reputation in dentistry, and will save you a fortune.
You're lucky enough to have an acceptance at a dental school thats so close to your family and friends, take advantage of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Loma Linda.. its closer to home so actually you'll end up saving more than 85K. Also, you're gonna be in dental school so there won't be a lot of time for drinking anyways. Loma Linda is a great choice! Good luck on your decision

You can't drink as a student at Loma Linda? What a joke. I agree with the other posters that the money is a huge deal but I think the culture clash of going to a school like that might make me still consider USC. You won't be saving any money if you get kicked out 2 years in for breaking some ridiculous rule they have.

Reactions: 1 user
You can't drink as a student at Loma Linda? What a joke. I agree with the other posters that the money is a huge deal but I think the culture clash of going to a school like that might make me still consider USC. You won't be saving any money if you get kicked out 2 years in for breaking some ridiculous rule they have.
What no way. What other rules do they have?
Can they really kick you out for stuff like that?

Its a big time church school. No drinking, drug use, sexual relations outside of marriage. They don't sell meat on campus or sodas. Basically all that stuff is forbidden.

USC...it's four years of your young adult life...people who don't go out on the weekends, or who have families in dental school will see no value in the social aspect of schools, but it's a real comsideration for a lot of people. You will have PLENTY of time to go out in dental school, and can have 4 fantastic years in LA...The inland empire is awful...I lived there for 2 years and it was hard to find fun.

And loma linda isn't anything outstanding in terms of dental education. UCSF, UCLA, Pacific, and USC are all regarded as better reputation wise.

money is certainly an important commodity...but so is your youth and the ability to go out and have the type of fun you can only have in your 20's.

Reactions: 2 users
Its a big time church school. No drinking, drug use, sexual relations outside of marriage. They don't sell meat on campus or sodas. Basically all that stuff is forbidden.
I wouldn't last one day.

Reactions: 3 users
You all can't have fun without sex, drugs, and alcohol? lmao. At least from what I have heard people still do those things. There is an In and out fairly close to the school so that is how many students get their meat fix hahah. Definitely not as much as secular schools, but some students still do drugs, alcohol, etc. they just keep it quiet. It is not only looked down upon by the school but by the other students as well because the majority of the students are Seventh-Day Adventists. Many of them have not done drugs, alcohol, etc because they are invested in their religious beliefs. I also believe they do not sell caffeine on campus which might be a deal breaker. I thought it was a great school if you don't mind the restrictions.

Yes you have to sign a contract saying no drinking, drugs and sex, but I spent a week there over summer and the students were talking about how they went out drinking at the local bars the night before. It felt like most of the students drank and it was more of a don't ask don't tell policy.

Are you guys sure they don't sell meat/caffeine on campus? From what I understand Lima Linda is a Christian institution. The meat/caffeine restrictions sound more like Mormon restrictions.

Are you guys sure they don't sell meat/caffeine on campus? From what I understand Lima Linda is a Christian institution. The meat/caffeine restrictions sound more like Mormon restrictions.

Loma Linda is a Seventh-Day Adventist Christian institution. Being vegetarian is a part of the religion although many do not follow the dietary restrictions. I am not sure why (or even if) caffeine is not campus, I have just read it on some old SDN posts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would get kicked out on the first day of Orientation... let's all pray - sounds boring as h*ll to me.

Last edited:
Just chiming in, mormons don't have meat and caffeine restrictions.

Sent from my XT1096 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
If you have an acceptance at USC dental school, I greatly encourage you to take the offer even if you have acceptances at cheaper programs.
$500,000 isn't a lot of debt for a dental degree so you will be fine. moreover, I heard that if you go to USC you will be guaranteed a high paying job
in California, where its not saturated at all, and the residency of your choice because employers are so amazed by the USC name! ;)

with 500K debt from USC with a 6.8% interest, if you take on a 10 year loan repayment plan, assuming starting salary is 150K
you will be making a monthly payment of $6,000 dollars for the next short 10 years, with a cumulative payment of only 700K by the end of your plan!
if you take on a 20 year loan repayment plan, you will be paying ONLY $3,800 per month for 20 years, with a cumulative payment of just $1,000,000!

with your guaranteed job after graduating USC, and unsaturated location in California, you should have no worries at all! the prestige will carry you to success! :thumbup:

Reactions: 7 users
If you have an acceptance at USC dental school, I greatly encourage you to take the offer even if you have acceptances at cheaper programs.
$500,000 isn't a lot of debt for a dental degree so you will be fine. moreover, I heard that if you go to USC you will be guaranteed a high paying job
in California, where its not saturated at all, and the residency of your choice because employers are so amazed by the USC name! ;)

with 500K debt from USC with a 6.8% interest, if you take on a 10 year loan repayment plan, assuming starting salary is 150K
you will be making a monthly payment of $6,000 dollars for the next short 10 years, with a cumulative payment of only 700K by the end of your plan!
if you take on a 20 year loan repayment plan, you will be paying ONLY $3,800 per month for 20 years, with a cumulative payment of just $1,000,000!

with your guaranteed job after graduating USC, and unsaturated location in California, you should have no worries at all! the prestige will carry you to success! :thumbup:

You forgot about the hot girls and being a part of a big football school. Did you know the GOAT Mark Sanchez went there?!!!

Reactions: 1 users

Oh man this hurt me.

No one who goes to USC is doing the 10 or even the 20 year repayment plan if they're smart so those numbers are irrelevant.

USC...it's four years of your young adult life...people who don't go out on the weekends, or who have families in dental school will see no value in the social aspect of schools, but it's a real comsideration for a lot of people. You will have PLENTY of time to go out in dental school, and can have 4 fantastic years in LA...The inland empire is awful...I lived there for 2 years and it was hard to find fun.

And loma linda isn't anything outstanding in terms of dental education. UCSF, UCLA, Pacific, and USC are all regarded as better reputation wise.

money is certainly an important commodity...but so is your youth and the ability to go out and have the type of fun you can only have in your 20's.

Just because people don't drink or go to bars/clubs doesn't mean they stay home and pray all weekend lol. I'm willing to bet the students at LLU have active social clubs, frequent casual get togethers, etc. Just without alcohol. Many of my friends from high school are Mormon (no alcohol, like SDA) and they had the best get togethers. Seriously.

There's a video on LLU's website of their 2015 ASDA BBQ. Looks like they're having fun.

(Mormons are Christian.)

Just because people don't drink or go to bars/clubs doesn't mean they stay home and pray all weekend lol. I'm willing to bet the students at LLU have active social clubs, frequent casual get togethers, etc. Just without alcohol. Many of my friends from high school are Mormon (no alcohol, like SDA) and they had the best get togethers. Seriously.

There's a video on LLU's website of their 2015 ASDA BBQ. Looks like they're having fun.

(Mormons are Christian.)

Right, I didn't mean to imply that they didn't have fun, but they didn't have the type of fun OP seems to be after. Like I said, I lived in Loma Linda for 2 years, so I know what's going on there very well. And honestly, they aren't allowed to use electricity starting friday night and all saturday...so, a lot of them are sitting around praying on the weekend.

For me, it would be worth the extra money to live in one of the funnest cities in the US, at a much more fun school, during my youth.

But it's definetely an individual choice without a universal correcr answer.

and the hot beaches, hot girls, laid back students (which will form life long colleagues with you), and most importantly, PBL at USC makes this school irresistable

ITT: Lots of people not willing to get on their knees to pray but rather to...

Right, I didn't mean to imply that they didn't have fun, but they didn't have the type of fun OP seems to be after. Like I said, I lived in Loma Linda for 2 years, so I know what's going on there very well. And honestly, they aren't allowed to use electricity starting friday night and all saturday...so, a lot of them are sitting around praying on the weekend.

For me, it would be worth the extra money to live in one of the funnest cities in the US, at a much more fun school, during my youth.

Lol wow I didn't know that. Obviously you are more knowledgeable on SDA lifestyle, I defer to you. :) I thought we were just talking alcohol but man, that's a whole other level. I wonder how many actually follow the "no electricity" rule?

I'd still choose LLU, but I guess I don't place as much importance on the weekend aspects of dental school as others may.

I can see how LLU vs USC would be night and day in terms of lifestyle. Seems like OP would have to bank on IBR/PAYE either way; really they're both crazy expensive.

Last edited:
Op it's your life, so do whatever you want. I wouldn't be able to do deal with all the religious stuff going on because it's not me. Both schools have their pros and cons.... just remember when you die it'll be only a number.

Again I am from the Loma Linda area so i am not worried about having fun there cause I have a big family and good friends in the area. How are the clinics at each school? I heard that some students at Loma Linda had a hard time getting out in 4 years. I dont know if this is true though, just something i saw on other threads

perhaps @lemoncurry can give some insight on Loma Linda?

congratulations to all those accepted to Loma Linda! Get ready to be challenged! It was a tough 4 years but I got a lot out of it, and if you put yourself out there, the faculty will let you do almost whatever you want in terms of dental procedures/specialty procedures (with the proper permission and supervision, etc).

if you don't graduate from LLU as a compassionate and skilled dentist, then you didn't try hard enough. This is coming from a guy who was in the bottom half of the class. It's all there for the taking, you just have to go for it.

Best if you get rid of any notions of competing with your classmates and being all cutthroat. That sort of thing doesn't fly and will just make you and your classmates miserable.

I'm extremely grateful for the quality of education I got at LLU. I'm not even SDA.

Best of luck to those waiting to hear!

Also, if you want to appeal a rejection, I recommend you do it. It might not get you an acceptance but could get you a waitlist spot.

If you're not worried about your the personal or social implications of Loma Linda then go there

This is pre-dental go ask in the dental section. If you live so close to Loma Linda then go visit & see for yourself. Stop by the other dental school too. You live in California and your asking about schools in your own state, one that's very close to you.

Again I am from the Loma Linda area so i am not worried about having fun there cause I have a big family and good friends in the area. How are the clinics at each school? I heard that some students at Loma Linda had a hard time getting out in 4 years. I dont know if this is true though, just something i saw on other threads

Okay, let me tell you right now, this isn't even close to true. I have several friends (both non-SDA as well as SDA) that attend Loma, and I have been around the church my entire life, so let's break this down. First of all, yes, SDAs (short for Seventh-day Adventist, the religion that Loma is associated with) do use electricity on the Sabbath (as SDAs call it), which can be proven by walking into any SDA church. Now, there may be conservative communities within the church that may not use electricity, as you may have encountered, but they are in the huge minority, and does not represent the church (not even Loma Linda-- like seriously? They have a full hospital/med school also, why would they turn off electricity on the weekends?) as a whole.

Secondly, yes, Loma does advocate a non-drinking/no-sex/no smoking rule-- ON CAMPUS. Most students live off campus, and they do whatever they want, including drinking/going out/whatever. In fact, the majority of students at Loma Linda do not follow this rule, and it does not come up at all in school. Professors/faculty are not going to be hunting you down and kick you out if you're caught with a beer. In fact, there are several professors that aren't Adventist or Christian at all (I was interviewed by one!).

Second, the meat/caffeine thing. There are coffee shops near campus. As well as restaurants that serve meat. Like, within 5-15 minutes of driving. Just because they don't serve it on campus does not mean that you can't get any. No one is forced to become vegetarian or not drink caffeine. Most of my SDA friends in fact drink/eat both. Also, besides the religion classes and chapels on Wednesdays, YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO GO TO CHURCH ON THE WEEKENDS. I've seen this rumor so many times-- it's simply not true.

So, you can make what you want of the school, but please, don't go around spreading false rumors when that is blatantly untrue. You do not have to convert to attend Loma, nor do you need to make significant lifestyle changes.

Reactions: 5 users

A student who gave me the tour of Loma Linda after my interview mentioned something about how the school did not handle the timing of a certain exam very well. Some students were nervous about graduating in time, but he said that it should all be resolved. Loma Linda will give you a great clinical education and I believe they have the patient base to support the clinic.

A student who gave me the tour of Loma Linda after my interview mentioned something about how the school did not handle the timing of a certain exam very well. Some students were nervous about graduating in time, but he said that it should all be resolved. Loma Linda will give you a great clinical education and I believe they have the patient base to support the clinic.

I heard the same thing lol. Maybe we had the same tour guide?

I heard the same thing lol. Maybe we had the same tour guide?

If I remember correctly it was a tall curly haired caucasian guy hahah. It is possible that the whole school knows about the issue.

This thread is funny. IM CURRENTLY MAKING THE EXACT SAME DECISION between Loma Linda and USC... Well I kind of already made my decision and am pretty set on Loma Linda! They are both great clinical schools that have good reputations in SoCal. I personally like the curriculum better at Loma Linda (I have talked to at least 5 USC dental students and every single one of them said something along the lines of "pbl is not for me but you deal with it and will pass boards fine") I live in Orange County so both schools are the same distances. I'm Christian (and not sda) and I eat meat and occasionally drink alcohol. One of my friends goes to Loma Linda and loves it. I have heard great things of how the faculty and staff care so my about you as an individual. I have a friend at USC too who loves it so it's just a personal decision with what's the best fit for you. I also like Loma Linda area because small town which will be good for studying and I can go home occasionally on weekends to hangout with family and friends and escape and do my beach runs. I'm just rambling on and on to give you insight on how I made my decision! And I'm laughing about how people say there are so many hot girls at at USC...lol if you want to hangout with hot girls come to Orange County and hangout with my friends and I and no electricity at LLU... Give me a break what a rumor! but my nightly entertainment was provided hahahahahah

Reactions: 5 users
Ya they each has positives and negatives. Loma Linda has those negatives, but its cheaper and has a better curriculum.

USC is probably better night life and has sports, but way more expensive AND they have that weird "teach yourself" curriculum. Just about what you want

interested to know what you decided!
Best of luck