Loma Linda?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maz56

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need more info about the program at Loma Linda. Does anyone have any input or first-hand experience there...rotation, interview, etc?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

maz56 said:
I need more info about the program at Loma Linda. Does anyone have any input or first-hand experience there...rotation, interview, etc?

Thanks

Yeah, I have back-to-back interviews, and need to decide if it's worth it to haul ass from Philly, to Loma Linda, and then to the Bronx, all on consecutive days. So, someone PLEASE post some info soon!

As a generic comment - Loma Linda is a "dry" town. Just FYI if that stuff matters to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
hope i can be of some help...

i'm a 2nd year med student at loma linda, and have spent time at the ophtho department (research). i know some attendings and residents as a result.

residents are successful getting good fellowships (iowa, ucsf, ucla, etc). chairman is Howard Gimbel, M.D., a famous cataract/refractive surgeon.

residents are treated well...all the ones i've met have been really happy. when i talked to the residents, they said the selling point for them was that they get "really good surgical training." I guess that sounds sorta vague.

lots of pathology in the area. research isn't very strong. from what i understand...they're trying to boost their research.

just got 2 new attendings, highly qualified and great teachers (plastics and glaucoma)

the area is something to get used to i guess...almost all the staff are christian (loma linda is an adventist institution). the area is sorta boonies...about an hour from LA and OC. nothing really to do in town but eat, sleep, and work. =] it's actually growing quite a bit...real estate rising etc. largely hispanic patient population.

good luck w/ interviews! hope this helped... :smuggrin:

twintiger32 said:
hope i can be of some help...

i'm a 2nd year med student at loma linda, and have spent time at the ophtho department (research). i know some attendings and residents as a result.

residents are successful getting good fellowships (iowa, ucsf, ucla, etc). chairman is Howard Gimbel, M.D., a famous cataract/refractive surgeon.

residents are treated well...all the ones i've met have been really happy. when i talked to the residents, they said the selling point for them was that they get "really good surgical training." I guess that sounds sorta vague.

lots of pathology in the area. research isn't very strong. from what i understand...they're trying to boost their research.

just got 2 new attendings, highly qualified and great teachers (plastics and glaucoma)

the area is something to get used to i guess...almost all the staff are christian (loma linda is an adventist institution). the area is sorta boonies...about an hour from LA and OC. nothing really to do in town but eat, sleep, and work. =] it's actually growing quite a bit...real estate rising etc. largely hispanic patient population.

good luck w/ interviews! hope this helped... :smuggrin:

I am a 4th year at the school. I am not going into opthalmology, but when I did a rotation in it, I noticed that a large percentage of the residents were Loma Linda grads. Of all the departments at the school, this one definitely has a reputation for favoring its own.

RonaldColeman said:
I am a 4th year at the school. I am not going into opthalmology, but when I did a rotation in it, I noticed that a large percentage of the residents were Loma Linda grads. Of all the departments at the school, this one definitely has a reputation for favoring its own.

to look at the other side of the coin, two out of three of the PGY-2's for '06 are non LLU grads.

I think the trend you are referring to is partially due to the fact that loma linda grads did NOT have much luck matching at other ophtho programs in the past, so many of the highly qualified pre-ophto grads were putting LLU very high on their rank list. This is changing as loma linda students are now seen at various top tier ophthalmology institutions...

don't be scared off! :luck:

I will be starting at Loma Linda Ophtho program in 1.5 mos. Here are some of the reasons I chose this program:

1) 150+ cataracts by the end of the residency (translates into good #'s a adequate surgical training! I forgot the numbers for the other surgeries.) There were few other programs which had such strong numbers.
2) We cover the VA, University, and 2 county hospitals= lots of variety.
3) New faculty with new pediatric office w/ 9 new eye lanes at the peds office
4) Though the research is not that strong, I felt that the residents coming out of the program were very well trained, and on par with residents coming from other higher ranked programs
5) It's 1.5 hrs from the beach! Tho we are in the smelly armpit of Southern Cali, the winters can be nice.