Loma Linda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sure would love to be able to veg out with you all at LLU. I applied back in October as well and still haven't heard a thing. I've called a couple of times but they always say they haven't reviewed all the files yet. But how can they start admitting people without reviewing all the files?

I also went to the LUU open house this weekend, on Sunday 2/25, and it was really nice. During the pharmacy portion of the open house, they said that about half the seats are filled, so there were ~30 still open, as of Sunday. Man, I really liked it there. Sigh....

Same here- I'm excited about LLU's aspect of encouraging vegetarianism- works out really well for vegetarians (like me) who wouldn't mind (or actually like.. but not Necessarily in this religion) pursuing a spiritual life alongside my studies. :) Wow, you applied in Oct. and still haven't heard? I thought they were slow in getting to me too, but then I applied on Dec. 15 (bad idea). I reallly hope to hear from them and at least get a chance for an interview... Wish us both good luck. (praying) :)

I wanted to attend the open house but was unable to due to exams. I'm glad to hear it was a nice experience for you.. From what I've been told, the school sounds pretty and peaceful? But gaush, they have 30 seats left onllyy? I'm so scared.. what if I (or we) won't ever get an invite??

Members don't see this ad.

I called them and asked about the first week of Feb. They said they did need to be sent.

oooooh, so the ones who haven't gotten interview should send their fall xcript. ok, i'll send my fall xcript asap, then (altho it'll cost me more with rush service :()

btw, does anyone know whether llu has a choir team or not for their chapel services? :D

I sure would love to be able to veg out with you all at LLU. I applied back in October as well and still haven't heard a thing. I've called a couple of times but they always say they haven't reviewed all the files yet. But how can they start admitting people without reviewing all the files?

I also went to the LUU open house this weekend, on Sunday 2/25, and it was really nice. During the pharmacy portion of the open house, they said that about half the seats are filled, so there were ~30 still open, as of Sunday. Man, I really liked it there. Sigh....

I agree with you it is a pretty cool school and the staff is really helpfull. They give preference to people who get a bachelor or will be graduating before pharmacy school. I read that in a forum last year. And if you are above 3.2 GPA don't loose hope you will get an interview. They are still interviewing

Members don't see this ad :)
I just interviewed yesterday (Friday, March 2nd) and it was a pretty good learning experience overall. I came out very impressed with the school, and I could really imagine myself going there for the next 3-4 years. :D The med school looks humongo (or was that the hospital??) and the campus is nice overall despite all of the construction going on. I asked Rick how many more interview sessions willl be held, and he told me that mines was one of the last ones....Although I don't know if that's super accurate since there are about 30 spots left?? My interview session only had 7 people. He also said ~75% of interviewees get accepted every year--maybe even higher this year since they are interviewing less.

I agree with you it is a pretty cool school and the staff is really helpfull. They give preference to people who get a bachelor or will be graduating before pharmacy school. I read that in a forum last year. And if you are above 3.2 GPA don't loose hope you will get an interview. They are still interviewing

Thanks for the hope, Dr. Biassi. I have my bachelor's and my gpa is higher than that, so that makes me feel a little better.

My fingers are crossed for everyone! I just really hope everyone here gets a place somewhere this fall. Everyone here is so nice & supportive, I would hate to think of anyone not getting in somewhere.

Would you know how LLU goes about computing our GPA? Since LLU does not currently participate in PharmCAS, and we had to submit our transcripts directly to the school, do they consider the GPA's stated on each of our college transcripts, or do they pick out certain pre-req courses, or compute our cumulative grades from all our institutions?

Also, would you know if they give preference at all to people of Christian or Catholic Faith, or so long as we are open and respectful of their faith, then they would be fine? I stated in my essay that I was born in a Buddhist family but that we are very open to religions and spirituality, and will be in accordance with the Christian faith, for I feel they are essentially similar.. Thanks for any feedback in advance. :)

Would you know how LLU goes about computing our GPA? Since LLU does not currently participate in PharmCAS, and we had to submit our transcripts directly to the school, do they consider the GPA's stated on each of our college transcripts, or do they pick out certain pre-req courses, or compute our cumulative grades from all our institutions?

Also, would you know if they give preference at all to people of Christian or Catholic Faith, or so long as we are open and respectful of their faith, then they would be fine? I stated in my essay that I was born in a Buddhist family but that we are very open to religions and spirituality, and will be in accordance with the Christian faith, for I feel they are essentially similar.. Thanks for any feedback in advance.

I'm not so sure about the gpa calculations, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it like everyone else: pre-req, overall from all courses, etc. As for being Buddhist, don't worry about it at all. In fact, at my interview of 7 people, they asked who was Seventh Day Adventist, and no one raised their hand. :D During orientation, they made it clear that they do not intend to impose any Seventh Day Adventist values onto their students. Yes, the school was designed for SDA students, but they are very welcoming! I thought that the religious courses that are incorporated into the curriculum would be focused on SDA ideas, but it's actually to promote awareness about all the other religions around the world as well. I specifically remember one of the speakers saying that they've had several Buddhist students before. They just want to make sure that you are a good fit for the school, and that the school is a good fit for you.

I heard their School of Medicine is more choosy with their applicants, in terms of religious background though.

ilovepharm, :) That's really good to know how welcoming and understanding they are about our diverse backgrounds. Also, congrats on having interviewed there :).. I hope and have a feeling it will go well for you!

Would you mind me asking, about how long was the interview day and the interview itself? And how many people, who (prof, student?) interviewed you? I've read mixed info where some were group and some were one on one interviews.. Also, how much time do you usually have for the writing sample? Again, congrats to all who got accepted. :)

I believe the writing sample was pretty short, they gave us a good amount of time for it but it was only a page long, the easiest writing sample I've had (I've had 5 other interviews). And if I remember correctly my interview was 9:30am-1:00pm, they let me out 30 mins early because my interview was the first one.

The interview for me was two professors.

As for religion, they definately will not discriminate your application because you are buddhist, they are looking for good fits for the school though so you just have to make it clear you are open-minded and don't mind the religious aspect of the school, LLU is definately not one of those religious schools who try and keep the religious aspect of the school low-key, they state it to incoming students so you know what you are entering, very open and welcoming I felt.

Also, would you know if they give preference at all to people of Christian or Catholic Faith, or so long as we are open and respectful of their faith, then they would be fine? I stated in my essay that I was born in a Buddhist family but that we are very open to religions and spirituality, and will be in accordance with the Christian faith, for I feel they are essentially similar.. Thanks for any feedback in advance. :)

That is a good point! I didn't think about the fact that they might look at GPAs differently, since they don't use the PharmCAS ones. Depending on how you look at mine, I could look good or not so good. I definitely look better on PharmCAS....

I was feeling insecure about the religion thing, too, since I am also not Christian. They do seem very welcoming, though. I've got my fingers crossed for us, lubbable. I hope we get the call.

Luckily, I still have my interview day schedule:

9:30-9:40am Introduction
9:40-9:50am Financial Info
10:00-10:20am Accreditation
10:20-10:50am Writing Sample
11:00-11:30am 1st Interview Session
11:45-12:15am 2nd Interview Session
12:15pm Lunch :D
You're free to leave after lunch!

There were no student interviewers, all were faculty of some sort. 2 Faculty interviewrs: 1 interviewee. I had the Associate Dean, Dr. Eric Mack and Assistant Professor, Dr. Lee Nguyen. They were both very, very friendly. From what I heard, all of the interviewers were pretty nice--they're not trying to grill you so much as some of the other interviews I've been to. They both gave me their business cards so that I can ask them further questions if I needed to, which is always nice.

The vegetarian lunch was yummmmmy. (Yes, they feed you a REAL lunch!) Keep in mind I LOVE meat, but I'm not too picky either. Other interview sessions got veggieburgers, lasagna, or mexican food. We had meatball-lookalikes, potato-asparagus thingies, salad, and Rick's favorite: cobbler! Rick is awesome! He gave us a mini tour of the pharmacy building that's shared with the nursing department.

I've got my fingers crossed for us, lubbable. I hope we get the call.

Don't lose hope! I received a phone call on Feb 26 (Monday) for the March 2 (Friday) interview. That's like...4 days.... :p

He gave us a mini tour of the pharmacy building that's shared with the nursing department.

Hey, sorry to be a pain, but do you think you can give us a run-trough of what you saw? I wasn't able to see the school while I was there since there was no tour for us, I wasn't really sure where they were teaching and whatnot. I didnt' see any lecture rooms where they could house more than 20 students.

Thanks a lot and goodluck on your interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't lose hope! I received a phone call on Feb 26 (Monday) for the March 2 (Friday) interview. That's like...4 days.... :p
So true! And that was only last week. Wow, that sure is fast...only a few days notice.

Thanks, RyanRyan, for the clarification. :)

Me too, Dogmom :) We still have some time left, so I still have hope for us. :)

ilovepharm, :laugh: oooh.. yuuummy food too! always a plus. :D It sounds like you left feeling really pampered, or well cared for, which is nice, especially for an event as stressful as admission interviews. :) Thanks a lot for the great info. :)

whoa, only 4 days to prepare for the interview x.x;;;;
that's too short. I bet I will go crazy if I have to prepare anything for interview within 4 days :scared:

Hey, sorry to be a pain, but do you think you can give us a run-trough of what you saw? I wasn't able to see the school while I was there since there was no tour for us, I wasn't really sure where they were teaching and whatnot. I didnt' see any lecture rooms where they could house more than 20 students.

Not a pain at all... let's see .... there is separate lecture room for P1, P2, P3, and P4 it seemed. Imagine the student lounge that we were in to eat the lunch. That tiny table that you sat at, eating your lunch. It seems those are the desks for the students during the lectures because I saw rows of them in the lecture rooms. Each of the lecture rooms are about 4x or more the size of that lounge as well, so it's for sure to fit at least 60. I peeped my head into one lecture and the professor was teaching on powerpoint through one of those pull down screens. I saw mailboxes and lockers for the students too.

There was this one lab room downstairs with bunches of LCD monitors at mini stations and some shelves with pill bottles on them. Also on this floor, there were 3-4 doctor's office-like rooms where the students "practice" giving real life consultations with fellow students while they would be videotaped--apparently they get graded for this as well, which I think is awesome. There was lab area (for compounding maybe??), but Rick didn't take us there because someone was already using it. He told us most of the students enjoyed going down there.
That was only the pharmacy/nursing building, but I of course got lost when I first got there so.... I had my own 'tour' of the school. I thought the good samaritan statue was cool. :D

whoa, only 4 days to prepare for the interview x.x;;;;
that's too short. I bet I will go crazy if I have to prepare anything for interview within 4 days :scared:

I know... I was going to tell them to reschedule me later but I wasn't sure how many spots were left so I was like, who cares!! :D

I know... I was going to tell them to reschedule me later but I wasn't sure how many spots were left so I was like, who cares!! :D

If you know the basics.. Why pharmacy? Why do you want to go to LLU? Then prepping for the interview is a piece of cake, really its not grilling at all, like another poster said they are very laid back. Just make sure you have some questions though, they give you a good amount of time to ask questions at the end of the interview.

Thanks for answering my questions! :)

yea they asked realli general questions, wut ryanryan said. yes prepare many questions! they asked me if I had any questions in the very beginning, which I had expected from reading the interview feedback section, so i asked a few, and then after interview was ending they asked me if i had any more questions so i asked a few more.

oh the lunch was great!! lasagna, salad, soft drink, brownie.. garlic breadd

hiyee i am new to the forum, and i just found out from loma linda last week. :) does anyone know what is the minimum GPA that i have to maintain in order to save my spot in the class? what is i am taking a pass/no pass (non pharm required class) and do not pass the class?

hiyee i am new to the forum, and i just found out from loma linda last week. :) does anyone know what is the minimum GPA that i have to maintain in order to save my spot in the class? what is i am taking a pass/no pass (non pharm required class) and do not pass the class?

Probably a question best asked to them. I would think that if it's not a prepharm class you could drop your entire courseload and they could care less.

well i am in a situation where i can't drop the class anymore so i am going to take it pass/no pass instead but i am just worrying about not passing since the class is so hard!!! what if i get an W on my transcript does anyone know?

well i am in a situation where i can't drop the class anymore so i am going to take it pass/no pass instead but i am just worrying about not passing since the class is so hard!!! what if i get an W on my transcript does anyone know?

I'd call (better yet e-mail) the school and ask them.

Pre-congrats on your 500th post:laugh:

Thank you !:)

And here is my 500th post! Do I get a post congrats? :p

:eek: I really do go on SDN too much, I should study for anatomy! :scared:

AHHH I just got in LLU! Pinch me, cause I feel like I'm dreaming. They left me a message yesterday (after the committee meeting) and I just confirmed it with them today. I hope more of us hear some good news. :D

AHHH I just got in LLU! Pinch me, cause I feel like I'm dreaming. They left me a message yesterday (after the committee meeting) and I just confirmed it with them today. I hope more of us hears some good news. :D

Yay! Congratulations!!

Congratulations ilovepharm!! What a wonderful feeling that must be :)

It IS a wonderful feeling--I'm going to pharmacy school next year ahhhh!!! Dogmom, lubbable, I hope you hear from them asap. Hmm...since I'm already accepted.. maybe Rick will finally give me some inside scoop about how many spaces/interviews are left so that I can share with you guys.

congratulations, ilovepharm! i wonder when i'll get the actual letter from them on the next steps to take. Does anyone how long it'll take for them to send letter to you after they called or emailed u that you've been accepted?

Congrats ilovepharm
d
It took about a week for them to sent the packet mokabear

When I spoke to Ms. Linda Williams this morning, she told me that they just sent out the letter/info packets either today or yesterday.

thanks everybody again for your warm congratulations! I'm doing a happy dance right now, although you can't see it. Anyone who wants any info on interviews, feel free to PM me. I love receiving mail.

congrats ilovepharm ^__^

Congrats ilovepharm!

Anyone else accepted from the March 2nd interview?

How many more interviews does LLU still have? Anyone know?

Yea, anyone else from March 2nd?? There were only 7 of us including myself so I can still clearly remember everyone. Was I the only one there who wanted to meet fellow SDNers...:p

Hey iloverpharm, did you receive the letter from Loma Linda? I haven't heard from LLU as of today. I was one of the seven candidates for the March 2nd interview.

Hey iloverpharm, did you receive the letter from Loma Linda? I haven't heard from LLU as of today. I was one of the seven candidates for the March 2nd interview.

No I haven't received any letters yet. Ms. Linda Williams said they were sent out Mon/Tuesday-ish so I wouldn't be surprised if we get them tomorrow or friday. I just sent you a PM.

I got mine like at the end of the second weed after my interview. You guys will receive it. No Sweat and congratulations. I still wanna meet you guys.. But first I need to find a room and a roomate...lol

i havent received the invitation to interveiw, does it mean that i have no chance.......

me neither. But I heard from my friend that LLU has interview sessions until April.

Im thinking early August we shoud all meet at TGI Fridays or somwhere close to LLU and get to know each other. If all of you are as fun and cool as the people in my interveiw group then we should have a fun four years together. Let me know what you all think. I live about 5 miles away from LLU so I would be happy to plan something. We could even have a BBQ at my place. I know that Orientation week is supposed to help is get to know each other but I think getting to know each other away from school is even better.

Im thinking early August we shoud all meet at TGI Fridays or somwhere close to LLU and get to know each other. If all of you are as fun and cool as the people in my interveiw group then we should have a fun four years together. Let me know what you all think. I live about 5 miles away from LLU so I would be happy to plan something. We could even have a BBQ at my place. I know that Orientation week is supposed to help is get to know each other but I think getting to know each other away from school is even better.

wow, that sounds fun, and I love BBQ party ^__^
well, if I get an interview invitation and get accepted, I'd definitely come. ;)