Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Loma Linda

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by peabody, Jul 17, 2002.

1. peabody

peabody Member

I'm just curious about Loma Linda - and I assume there are similar schools. I read that it is a Seventh Day Adventist school that gives preference to memebers of that church, but do they commonly admit non Adventists or non Christians? Their affiliation seems a little more intense than say an Emory or another school with just a historical affilation to a particular religious group. Just curious. Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PrincessCKNY

PrincessCKNY Crown Royal Member

BUMP...I wanna know too.

4. The Falconer

The Falconer Member

Loma Linda is an SDA owned school and as a result SDAs do get preference, just like LDSs at BYU. I do have a number of non-SDA classmates though. To be honest I'm unsure if there are any non-Christians though. I'd say off-hand that we are 60-70% SDA, but I truly don't know the exact figure. Our admissions commitee selects on a basis of spirituality overall though. We do have a GREAT school, but you must be aware that our school has a strict policy on the non-use of alcohol, tobacco and drugs as a result of its affiliation. This fact turns many people off, however I don't know why. If you have time to get wasted in med school something is probably wrong with the school. If you have any more questions contact me.

5. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

Well, med students often go out after their big exam periods are over, so I can understand why people wouldn't like the no alcohol rule. The no tobacco rule is just good health....

-RA

6. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member

this school seems restrictive

plus its in the inland empire. veryfar from beach. how sad.

7. Tweetie_bird

stupid question, but I need to ask anyway:

They ask if you have any prior history of alcohol use. Are they talking on a REGULAR basis??? I hardly drink, but I do like the occasional glass of wine at a party. That means I have to put "yes" to alcohol use? I hardly think of wine as an alcohol...Kinda strange, if you ask me.

8. uclabruins47

uclabruins47 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    haha yea, i occasionally drink but i put NO anyways :D

9. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008

Medical Student
    47, are you old enough to drink? ;)

10. PrincessCKNY

PrincessCKNY Crown Royal Member

OK, I have yet to declare a religion in life, but I think I am a spiritual person. I am totally open to the idea of going there and seeing what SDA-ism is all about. What are my chances of getting in (assuming my stats and EC's are all satisfactory)?

11. The Falconer

The Falconer Member

I think anyone who is "spiritual" and believes in a higher being has a chance at LLU SM. It does always help to get a pastor/Fr./minister/rabbi etc. LOR for admission to this school. As far as alcohol goes....if you can't deal with not drinking while you're a registered student then simply don't apply there. Be very knowledgeable about whatever school you are considering. I know the secondary questions seem rough. I was just honest. I can also understand why some people think LLU SM is restrictive, but hey its the school's policy, they admitted me, and I'll go with the program. One thing to note as far as alcohol, if you're Catholic since alcohol consumption is part of the mass it is deemed okay to partake. Aside from the talk of alcohol and religion, which should be straight by now feel free to ask more questions. Good Luck to those of you applying!!

12. tedstriker

tedstriker wicked retahhded

I visited LLUSM two weeks ago when I was in the area... It is in the inland empire, yes, but the campus is beautiful and everyone there was really nice. I'm not sure what drug they're on, but it was certainly a pleasant welcome from the locals...

13. poloace

poloace Senior Member

has anyone still not received a secondary from loma linda? i'm starting to freak out...
    peter

14. none

none 1K Member

I'm not sure just a general spiritualism is going to suffice for Loma Linda... It might for the four Jesuit schools, however.

I'm continually amazed by the lengths people will go to remain in California. A new private school in CA could be a very profitable venture indeed...

15. poloace

poloace Senior Member

can someone please respond to my woes concerning my secondary??? i thought they sent out secondaries to everyone. arrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    p

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. tedstriker

tedstriker wicked retahhded

Dude, no worries. When did AMCAS transmit your app? Give it some time...Of course you can give LLU call, too. The secretary at the admissions office, Louane, is really nice and no doubt happy to help.