jdh71

epiphany at nine thousand six hundred feet
10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2006
FEMA Camp, USA
Status
Attending Physician
Congrats on the match. Why so many unfilled programs at LLU? Can you shed some light?
What was left unfilled out there? I'd guess location.

jdh71

epiphany at nine thousand six hundred feet
10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2006
FEMA Camp, USA
Status
Attending Physician
Anesthesia, PM&R, Prelim Surgery... almost as bad as UC Davis. Probably the worst two Cali tertiary centers...
Really?! Loma Linda gas went unfilled?! The surprises me because it's a really good program, albeit busy . . .

PM&R is really good there too. If I remember correctly I think they have a pain fellowship . . . hmmmm . . .

You'd have to pay me like a bazillion dollars to do prelim surgery there - HA!

But Sacramento and Loma Linda are two rather UNglamorous places to live in California, Loma Linda > Sacramento . . . the hospital at LLU is badly in need up asthetic updating, which they are in the process of doing, but the location really, really grows on you.

vrandhawa01

10+ Year Member
May 5, 2008
california
Status
did anyone match into categorical at LL? I'm internal med categorical. started last year but had to drop the year so I'm starting again this June, wanted to see who all's in.

I can't imagine why there were so many open slots this year but I do know that the match this year for IM at LL was pretty surprising...a lot of DOs and very few IMGs with no LLU graduates in the categorical program and just a handful of LLU grads in the prelim...that's all!

ResidentMD

7+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2009
Status
I dont know what the reason was...but I was very put off by my pre-application/ pre-interview interaction with that program. The program coordinator was very rude, almost insulting when I had called up to update certain documents and find out about my status. Even some pre-application questions....the PD seemed okay though. It may be presumptous, but sometimes the way a program interacts with applicants gives me an indication of how it may work as a program (another example, Emory, which also went unfilled).

Momentum70

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
its got all the great smog and traffic of southern california with none of that pesky beach/ocean. Also no meat(its all that soy and tofu crap) in the cafeteria or caffiene in cafeteria. They do have coffee near the nursing stations though. But seriously i think the program is pretty good, its just not in a typical SoCal area. Some depts at Loma linda love taking loma linda grads and give them special preference and others dont, not sure what the reasons each one has.

vrandhawa01

10+ Year Member
May 5, 2008
california
Status
to ResidentMD,

I'm surprised you had such a bad experience. Sorry to hear it, in fact, because I know the program coordinator quite well if we're talking about the same Maggie and she's awesome. Absolutely. Very helpful and kind and caring. All the best in your residency, though!

joe6102

by the power of grayskull
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
socal
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have a lot to say about this program. Anyone interested on an insider's perspective, PM me.

BTW, it just received full 5-year renewal accreditation from ACGME.

Oct 27, 2010
Status
Medical Student
i interviewed at loma linda and i am considering, but a friend of mine there said very few of the med studnets want to stay. i think its because the location is bad for california and they dont have meat :)
how are fellowship and research opportunities?