Loma Linda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Califaith21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied or been accepted to Loma Linda University and tips or advice about the application process?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone applied or been accepted to Loma Linda University and tips or advice about the application process?

I had considered applying at one time. I went back and forth on it. While I attended a religious undergrad and HS, I wasn't sure I wanted to adopt Loma Linda's strict policies. I've been told they enforce these things often. Rumor has it they do actually get on people's cases about bringing coffee onto campus. So for me there was no way I could survive. haha
Had it not been for those policies I would have applied as I like what they had to offer.
From what I recall, they are very nice and supportive in their interactions with applicants.

Califaith, did you know there is going to be a program in Irvine? A private program is beginning the steps to become accredited. I had always hoped there would be a program somewhere between LA and SD. We shall see how it turns out.

A new school in Irvine? I had not heard that. Do you know where it will be or when they're looking to get it started?

Members don't see this ad :)
As a current MOT student at Loma Linda they do not get onto you about coffee. Let me say i am a caffeine addict. The faculty is amazing. They are very welcoming and want you to do the best. You truly get what you pay for. I went to a public high school and public college so this has been my first Christian institution experience. Also, be weary about the school in Irvine. They are a for-profit instituition and in my own personal opinion those schools like to grab your money.

As a current MOT student at Loma Linda they do not get onto you about coffee. Let me say i am a caffeine addict. The faculty is amazing. They are very welcoming and want you to do the best. You truly get what you pay for. I went to a public high school and public college so this has been my first Christian institution experience. Also, be weary about the school in Irvine. They are a for-profit instituition and in my own personal opinion those schools like to grab your money.

Kaytie OTgirl, thanks for that info, gosh that is good to hear! I couldn't function without coffee! :)
I had liked the program but was turned off by that rumored info that came from a friend whose father does guest lecturing the med school.
Out of curiosity what is your class size and are most younger 20's or are there students in their 30's too? Thanks!

PS: I agree about the Irvine program. One of my old college friends is on the educational development staff there and "for profit" is the feel I got as well. I couldn't recall the name but I knew they were in their 1st step as an applicant. When I just checked the AOTA two programs are actually listed and from what I recall they are both more of the "for profit" style.

Here is the info for anyone curious:

Stanbridge College
(Applicant OT - professional entry-level master's)
Occupational Therapy Program
2041 Business Center Drive, #107
Irvine, CA 92612-1105
(949) 794-9090
[email protected]
www.stanbridge.edu

West Coast University
151 Innovation Drive
Irvine, CA 92617-3040
(949) 783-4836
[email protected]
www.westcoastuniversity.edu

You are very welcome! We have about 50 people in the OT program. Some of the lab classes get split into smaller groups though. I would say the average age is about 25. We have a few people who are 20 and a few people who are in their early thirties. Any other questions feel free to ask :)

Kaytie OTgirl, thanks for that info, gosh that is good to hear! I couldn't function without coffee! :)
I had liked the program but was turned off by that rumored info that came from a friend whose father does guest lecturing the med school.
Out of curiosity what is your class size and are most younger 20's or are there students in their 30's too? Thanks!

PS: I agree about the Irvine program. One of my old college friends is on the educational development staff there and "for profit" is the feel I got as well. I couldn't recall the name but I knew they were in their 1st step as an applicant. When I just checked the AOTA two programs are actually listed and from what I recall they are both more of the "for profit" style.

Here is the info for anyone curious:

Stanbridge College
2041 Business Center Drive, #107
Irvine, CA 92612-1105
(949) 794-9090
[email protected]
www.stanbridge.edu

West Coast University
151 Innovation Drive
Irvine, CA 92617-3040
(949) 783-4836
[email protected]
www.westcoastuniversity.edu

Both of the schools in Orange County are money grabbing for-profit schools, be wary of Stanbridge, based on the reputation I would not go there. However, although it is a for-profit school, West Coast University apparently does a very good job with it's dental hygiene and nursing students. Check out the reviews on Yelp! for both schools. Beware that both are very expensive. I have heard good stuff first hand about West Coast University though. Good luck to everyone! Oh and Kaytie OT girl about what stats are required to get into Loma Linda? Should a 2.95 even bother applying? I am applying to both CSUDH and USC, and am on the waiting list to start the SAC COTA program for fall 2012. While my GPA is lower, I have an upward trend, as well as a Spanish minor. I am completely bilingual. I did well on the GRE as well, and all pre-reqs are out of the way, however I got a C in physiology this past semester, in large part due to the family stress of my aunt waiting for a liver transplant due to alcoholic liver disease. I plan to mention the family stress in my Loma Linda essays which I am working on right now. Needless to say, I do not touch alcohol and have never had more than one can of beer or a glass of wine in a single day, or week for that matter. I haven't had a drink since October.

Last edited:
Hey veggieswirl I attended the Loma Linda info session and a C in Physiology probably won't do it. Madge Oh made a very big point about having a strong science GPA.

She had mentioned that the first year is very heavy on the sciences and they want all students to be strong candidates. Sorry if that was all repetitive. Have you tried getting into contact with anyone at Loma Linda?

Nope, Loma Linda is the one school I have not contacted, but from what I understand they let you have courses in progress while applying, so I will ask them about their retake policy. They seem to have a lot fewer course requirements compared to other schools though, they don't require stats for June 2012 admission, which is bad because i did fine in statistics. I will ask Loma Linda if they average out both grades for retakes or take extremely extenuating circumstances into consideration, because with all the 80+ miles of driving I did and all the stress I was under I actually ended up dehydrated and hospitalized for IV fluids at the tail end of the semester and missed a physio lab, lecture and quiz once because I needed to leave HB and take my grandma to the USC medical center because she wanted to see my aunt who had a fever. I am willing to retake physio but hope i don't have to.

Nope, Loma Linda is the one school I have not contacted, but from what I understand they let you have courses in progress while applying, so I will ask them about their retake policy. They seem to have a lot fewer course requirements compared to other schools though, they don't require stats for June 2012 admission, which is bad because i did fine in statistics. I will ask Loma Linda if they average out both grades for retakes or take extremely extenuating circumstances into consideration, because with all the 80+ miles of driving I did and all the stress I was under I actually ended up dehydrated and hospitalized for IV fluids at the tail end of the semester and missed a physio lab, lecture and quiz once because I needed to leave HB and take my grandma to the USC medical center because she wanted to see my aunt who had a fever. I am willing to retake physio but hope i don't have to.

Perhaps they will consider letting you retake it online considering your circumstances. Another shot, if you have to retake in the classroom is literally showing up and asking the prof to sign you into the course if you can get on the waiting list. I did that at CSULB for a few classes I took on the side back in the day.

I can absolutely understand the long drive as I originally took A&P at UCLA extension and drove from Irvine while working full-time. I was disappointed in what I was getting out of it. Needless to say it was far too much with my travel schedule for work and I chose to audit/take no grade for the course. I retook it later at a community college.

Several schools I spoke with last year also told me A&P grades is one of the main things they look at. So I would certainly send an email and check on things.

Kaytie Ot Girl question for you... Does anyone drink at Loma Linda? I mean as a grown woman, I don't want my school telling me I can't have wine with dinner. I'll just be honest that their rules are a big reason I did not apply last year.

hey guys! i'm currently doing the application for LLU actually i've been working on it for about a month now, and i'm starting to worry because i have not yet finished it yet! the application portal opened on august 1st and i was hoping to turn it in weeks ago, but anyway...my question is does anyone know how LLU reviews applications? like do they wait till priority deadline reaches and read all applications then? or do they do them as applications are submited? i remember they stressed the fact that the earlier you turn it in the better, and since the portal's been open for a month i already feel like i'm behind. So, if i turn it, say by today, would that make my app look any better than me turning it weeks from now?

sorry if this is really mumbled jumbled up, im just super stressed !

HI guys! I am also in the current MOT class in loma linda. (hi kaytie!) I decided to browse here to see if anyone had questions because when I was applying last year, I had PLENTY.

PrspectiveOTgirl: from my experience, they review applications as they come in. It is beneficial for you to turn it in earlier because of the fact that they do accept people as the apps come in. I turned mine in during Oct of last year, got a call for an interview by the middle of november, interviewed in december, and got an acceptance a month later. I hope this helps. Your essays are IMPORTANT, so don't rush :)

@gymnastau: as far as drinking.. no one really "flaunts" it, because LLU has a strict alcohol policy. But believe me, they do not go knocking on your door checking on you. haha All the talk about caffeine, meat, clothing, its all.. not true (to an extent) LLU is a wonderful school :)

Thanks Kaytie and Rainbow OT! Does Loma Linda wait until the end of the cycle to reject people? And when do the first interview invitations go out? I submitted my application at the beginning of September. Does Loma Linda read and consider the whole application? I noticed that starting summer 2013, they will require statistics, medical terminology, and a prior degree, so I'm hoping the fact I have all of those will help me, although I'm a very borderline applicant as far as grades go. Do a lot of people submit GREs to Loma Linda although they are not required? I submitted mine because they are very decent.

Im not really sure how they reject people... I know that they send out waitlist letters along with acceptance letters. Thats how far as my knowledge goes on the application process =/ Also, I'm sure that the classes that you take are reviewed by the faculty so it is beneficial to have a good science gpa (anatomy, physio, developmental psych) We weren't required to take med term or stats..
Also, always submit GREs, even thought they arent required, its a good supplemental score the faculty can review!
good luck guys :)

I submitted my application on the first day the application cycle opened. I just heard back from Loma Linda today for an interview :)

Hey OT2bhopefully, did they call you or email? I sent in my application on Sept. 19, a little later than I wanted, but I'm hoping to be called in for an interview sometime soon! :xf:

Last edited:
Hey OT2bhopefully, did they call you or email? I sent in my application on Sept. 19, a little later than I wanted, but I'm hoping to be called in for an interview sometime soon! :xf:

I got an email from the school saying they are in the process of reviewing my application and will be contacting me soon. Then a week later they called me to schedule my interview. I applied on the first day, August 1. I'm sure you will hear from them soon! :)

Awesome! Thanks! Do you have everything for the application in? I'm still waiting for one of my transcripts to get there but it's taking forever! Lol
Good luck on your interview! :)

Awesome! Thanks! Do you have everything for the application in? I'm still waiting for one of my transcripts to get there but it's taking forever! Lol
Good luck on your interview! :)

I got everything in by 8/1 :). Thanks, let us know when you hear from them!