1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Long academic history...

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by kamandsam, Dec 2, 2008.

1. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I consider myself a non-traditional student as I'm 28 with 3 children and am currently pursuing a PhD.

My question is does anyone have experience (insight) into the way an applicant would be viewed based on the following:

I started college when I was 17 and messed around for 2 years earning an incredible 1.75 GPA for 60 credit hours. I stopped school and returned two years later. Since that date I expedited my undergraduate experience where I took as many as 26 credit hours per term. Not including the first 2 years I have a respectable 3.5 GPA for my BS. I did a Master's in environmental science with a GPA of 3.45, wherein I took a few med school courses (long story) and did well. I also earned a few fellowships and awards. In brief I have basically been in college for 10 years. How would the admissions team look at this history?

Thank you for your help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bjhath

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Your situation doesn't sound much different than mine:
    I am 33 and married, no kids though. I started college out of high school at a military academy and left after two years with a whopping 2.2 for ~70 semester units. I took some time off, but returned a couple of years later and finished both my bachelor's (3.3 GPA) and master's (3.3 GPA) in mechanical engineering at Cal. I then worked for several years at a national lab before transitioning to dentistry. I have been taking prerequisites for the past two years. And yesterday, I was accepted to UoP! :banana:

I think you can definitely sell yourself as being a mature, experienced applicant. In my PS, I briefly touched on my poor academic performance and subsequent successes, saying something like, "life experience has shown me I can accomplish anything I pursue...though I did not perform well when i first started college...I returned focused and mature and have excelled at..." and then go into your PhD/fellowships/family/etc.

As long as you demonstrate strengths in other areas as well (community service, dental shadowing/etc., leadership) then I think you can definitely sell yourself.

Good luck!

#2 bjhath, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  4. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

Thank you for your response. It is so great to hear that you were successful, especially considering our similarities. I really appreciate it.

5. kamandsam

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Anyone else with a similar situation?

6. ean

ean
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    My situation is somewhat similar. I actually just posted my path through dental application yesterday. The post was titled '4 years - it can happen' or something like that; feel free to read over it. To make a long story short, I had a poor GPA early on, took a few years to improve it, and I will be completing a Masters in June. Yesterday, I received two acceptances to dental school, so I definitely think it is possible for you to get accepted. If this is what you want to do, then I suggest that you pursue it whole-heartedly. If you are going to be completing a PhD, then you should be golden. With a PhD, you should definitely get some interviews, in my opinion. Every year, it is a crap shoot as to who will get accepted and who won't, but if this is what you want to do, then pursue it, even if it takes a few years. In the end, it will be worth it. Best of luck in your endeavors.