Long Hair in Clinical Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you put on that white coat, you go into character.
So true, and one of the things that pushed me towards path. I don’t have to play much of a character when interacting with other physicians - unlike when interacting with patients.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Women get judged for wearing too little make-up, for wearing too much make-up, for having skirts that go above the knees, for talking too assertively, for not speaking up enough, for wearing the same outfit too many times, for being too chubby, for being too skinny, for showing too much cleavage, for not having enough cleavage, etc. We guys have it pretty easy in terms of being judged.
You forgot being judged for wearing skirts that are too long (what is she, Amish?) and for never wearing the same outfit twice (why is she spending all her money on clothes?)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think think I look unkempt, but I definitely do not consider myself to be a very attractive person (maybe a 4-5) so if what you are saying is true, I may not get much leeway.

Oh boy this is shaping up to be one of the better Queer Eye episodes

Reactions: 8 users
Short hair or tied up hair just looks more professional and neat. Especially in a conservative field like medicine.
But some want to be a rebel and say "hey its my prerogative"!

I don’t think think I look unkempt, but I definitely do not consider myself to be a very attractive person (maybe a 4-5) so if what you are saying is true, I may not get much leeway.

For whatever it's worth --- however how much flack you're going to get for your long hair --- just remember that your female classmates are going to be judged on a lot more appearance factors during rotations. I've overheard lots of uncomfortable discussions between attendings, residents, and students regarding too much makeup, too strong a perfume or body spray, length of hair and how it should be worn, high heels on rounds, amt. of cleavage on blouses, amt. of jewelry on face/neck/fingers, and other such details about modern female fashion and cosmetics.

Reactions: 1 users
Sadly? I’m not sad at all. The number of female applicants has plateaued despite all efforts by the field to the contrary. Most women just don’t want to do it. And that’s fine. It ensures that the ones that do apply really want to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's a shame, almost all the orthos are cool and the ladies are total bros

Sadly? I’m not sad at all. The number of female applicants has plateaued despite all efforts by the field to the contrary. Most women just don’t want to do it. And that’s fine. It ensures that the ones that do apply really want to be there.

I was saddened by it because when I applied I didn't get in. But I suppose I can't really say if my lack of testes played a role

CeRjV9aUMAAJrRj.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Hmm I’m starting to wonder if this could have been part of the reason why I had so many post-interview rejections when I was applying to medical school, as I had long hair then too.

Our dean of admissions gave us a talk during first year and specifically mentioned to us one case of rejecting an applicant due to his long hair. He tried to play it off as a joke but it was clear that the story was true.

I would think you could only get away with long hair in very liberal cities like Manhattan or L.A. or San Francisco. Even in those places, you'd probably be asked to tie it back into a bun so your long gorgeous hair is not flopping into patient's faces during physical exams.

If you're fabulously good-looking, I would guess you'll get more leeway on the hairstyle than a dude who looks like a homeless person.

Try sporting long hair in places like Iowa or Kentucky or Texas and they wont be calling you "student doc" anymore --- but a slew of unsavory insults that question your sexual orientation and such. Attendings, residents, and your fellow students will make your life hellish and you'll eventually cave in and cut the mane.

Off topic here, but Iowa is actually a very progressive state. They were one of the first few states to legalize gay marriage, ahead of both CA and NY

Members don't see this ad :)
Our dean of admissions gave us a talk during first year and specifically mentioned to us one case of rejecting an applicant due to his long hair. He tried to play it off as a joke but it was clear that the story was true.

damn, that's lame af

Reactions: 1 users
damn, that's lame af

It’s lame but honestly medicine isn’t the only entity doing this. Try and get a business exec job with long hair as a male. Med school interviews are just some people’s first taste of the real world... well small slice of the real world. It’s their ball court. Almost every adult career will impose limitations on what their employees can/can’t wear. I don’t see this story as any different than a real job interview

It’s lame but honestly medicine isn’t the only entity doing this. Try and get a business exec job with long hair as a male. Med school interviews are just some people’s first taste of the real world... well small slice of the real world. It’s their ball court. Almost every adult career will impose limitations on what their employees can/can’t wear. I don’t see this story as any different than a real job interview

well then all jobs suck

rock on, OP :horns:

I am currently a second year male medical student with mid-back lenght hair. As I prepare to begin rotations this summer, I am starting to wonder how this may affect me with impressions. Is it acceptable to wear it loose like I usually do, or is more appropriate to tie it up...........or is it better to just cut it all together. I kind of enjoy keeping my hair long and since it has been roughly 10 years since a discussion like this has taken place on this forum, I am curious to see if attitudes have changed towards this issue.
Advice: cut your hair, but if you don't you absolutely should have it pulled up and styled/well-kempt. All the men with long hair at my med school cut their hair before starting clinical rotations.

It's probably worth checking the hospital policy too. The hospital system my school is associated with does not allow hair dyed unnatural colors, visible tattoos, or facial piercings. Women must have their hair short or pulled up; it's simply not sanitary to have hair hanging in your face. You should have known what you were getting into when you chose this profession.

Did we ever establish the culture of where you are?

I know in some areas a man having natural colored hair this long pretty much wouldn't be a thing if they kept it up in a tight neat man-bun. That's what I would do if I weren't really willing to shear it off. Personally, I would, and then I would just let it go after I finished residency interviews. It takes a long time to grow hair that long, but 1.75 yrs of short hair won't kill you, even if it takes most of residency to get that mane back.

Did we ever establish the culture of where you are?

I know in some areas a man having natural colored hair this long pretty much wouldn't be a thing if they kept it up in a tight neat man-bun. That's what I would do if I weren't really willing to shear it off. Personally, I would, and then I would just let it go after I finished residency interviews. It takes a long time to grow hair that long, but 1.75 yrs of short hair won't kill you, even if it takes most of residency to get that mane back.
OP is probably at least halfway through M3 by now, but this is still a good point.

That being said, for anyone else who may ask this: I advise you to try taking your stethoscope on and off your neck 2-3 times and you'll quickly decide that wearing your hair down loose isn't a great idea for clinicals anyway. I mean, yes, you could get one of those waist holsters or jam it in your white coat pocket, but there are still surgery rotations and plenty of things you don't want your hair dangling in during physical exams. Hospital policy or no, I see very few inpatient docs wear their hair loose while seeing patients.

lol I always wore my long hair down, it was no big deal except for those times it really is a big deal (procedures), and I always have a hair tie. It's my one concession for vanity.

I never had too much issue with my steth and my unruly hair. If it's going on/off a lot, you just don't pull your hair out from under it.

I personally think physicians of all genders should be able to have clean well-groomed hair of any length, but I would agree that you should always expect to have it put up neatly even if it isn't strictly required at all times. That said, I know many don't share my view about men with long hair.

Long hair tied in a bun should 100% not be a problem at all. Its not hard to make it look neat. No issues and no problems in surgery or any "conservative" specialties. Evals were fine. You may run into problems if you let it down though. And if your face isnt clean-shaven. But then again, thats just you looking sloppy in general.

Honestly you'd prob look the same or better than all the dudes with short unkempt hair unless they're getting trims every 2w and styling their hair every morning.

Hope you didnt cut it

lol I always wore my long hair down, it was no big deal except for those times it really is a big deal (procedures), and I always have a hair tie. It's my one concession for vanity.

I never had too much issue with my steth and my unruly hair. If it's going on/off a lot, you just don't pull your hair out from under it.

I personally think physicians of all genders should be able to have clean well-groomed hair of any length, but I would agree that you should always expect to have it put up neatly even if it isn't strictly required at all times. That said, I know many don't share my view about men with long hair.
Not pulling your hair out from under a steth is almost as teeth-on-edge terrible a feeling as not pulling your hair out from underneath your shirt/coat. And even when mine wasn't going on/off a lot, my hair is an annoying enough in between wave where it's not straight enough to stay untangled, nor curly enough to attach strongly to itself, so it wrap-tangles ANYthing that moves through it. A steth sliding slightly back and forth across my hair when loose will create at least one knot around itself in the distance from room 1 to room 3...and if it slides to one side and the earpieces get involved, I'll look like a real fool the next time I try to use it!

Just something to keep in mind, is all. I'm on a surgical service right now, so the constant dressing changes, often on infected feet, are good incentive to keep the hair up anyway!

When I was a resident, I always had my hair in a ponytail or bun. As an attending, I have waist length hair and run around the hospital like rapunzel....because I can. :) OP, man-bun it up for the duration of school ....and when you’re an attending, go full Fabio.

Reactions: 2 users
Please don't recommend man buns to people. The gross fad is finally starting to die down.

Please don't recommend man buns to people. The gross fad is finally starting to die down.
I second this. For the love of god, no more man buns! The man bun is not fun.

On the right guy I like the man-bun. I think doctors in white coats with man buns are hot. Without the coat not so much. I argue that whenever there is something about you that might detract from a professional image (like big knockers or males with long hair or a need for sneakers) that one do something to "compensate." I wear oxfords and the white coat to achieve this, personally.

I am currently a second year male medical student with mid-back lenght hair. As I prepare to begin rotations this summer, I am starting to wonder how this may affect me with impressions. Is it acceptable to wear it loose like I usually do, or is more appropriate to tie it up...........or is it better to just cut it all together. I kind of enjoy keeping my hair long and since it has been roughly 10 years since a discussion like this has taken place on this forum, I am curious to see if attitudes have changed towards this issue.
Whether your hair is long or short, is irrelevant. The goal is to look professional, be professional and do good work. Do that, and you've got nothing to worry about.

Not pulling your hair out from under a steth is almost as teeth-on-edge terrible a feeling as not pulling your hair out from underneath your shirt/coat. And even when mine wasn't going on/off a lot, my hair is an annoying enough in between wave where it's not straight enough to stay untangled, nor curly enough to attach strongly to itself, so it wrap-tangles ANYthing that moves through it. A steth sliding slightly back and forth across my hair when loose will create at least one knot around itself in the distance from room 1 to room 3...and if it slides to one side and the earpieces get involved, I'll look like a real fool the next time I try to use it!

Just something to keep in mind, is all. I'm on a surgical service right now, so the constant dressing changes, often on infected feet, are good incentive to keep the hair up anyway!
I also have tangle-riffic hair. I find that sometimes not pulling it out of a sweatshirt actually helps a bit with that even if it feels weird. But I never wore my steth around my neck because I preferred pulling it looped up my belt would hold it without requiring a holster. Was out of the way when leaning over a patient and easy to get in and out.

Yeah, I hate that feeling too. But when I'm literally seeing a patient every 8 minutes for like 3 hours, there's a lot of discomforts that just don't even blip the radar. The steth is going on/off so fast there it's even really time *to* pull your hair out or to care about that feeling because WHOOP there it is the steth is back off again.

And actually, having my hair in a ponytail made it more likely to wrap around the steth. Loose bun *could* be the answer, but for me maintaining the hair in a bun all day necessitates redoing it from time to time.

After settling down, I would pull my hair out from under. Taking it off again, no big deal. Price I pay to have my hair down, which I like for a lot of reasons. My neck gets so cold without it.

I would usually put the steth looped in my pocket, but at some point that was too much effort and my pockets got too full.