Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Long Island University (PhD)

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by AnotherCanadian, Mar 15, 2007.

1. AnotherCanadian

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the program at LIU (Clinical PhD). I am considering accepting an offer there, but would love to hear thoughts from other applicants/current students/anyone with an opinion I suppose. Although the program is strongly psychodynamically oriented, do you think there is opportunity to explore other theories as well? Do you really get the summers off? What are the classes like? What do you think of faculty? Anything else...

Hope that applications are wrapping up ok for everyone.

Thanks!

2. OP
    OP
    AnotherCanadian

2+ Year Member

I am going to add a question that hopefully some of you new yorkers can help me with. If you were going to go to Long Island University (which, confusingly, is in Brooklyn) would you live in Brooklyn, or in Manhattan. What neighborhood and why? Pros and cons of each?
    Thank you!

3. Sol18

5+ Year Member

Hey! I would definitely live in the east village since it's my favorite neighborhood and it's an easy 6 stops to the Brooklyn campus on the 6 train. :)

4. Sol18

5+ Year Member

I think it takes longer and is more difficult to get a strong foundation in psychodynamic therapy so I think it's a plus that you can get it at LIU. You can definitely do externships and internships in places with a more behavioral approach though to get diverse clinical training.

5. nietzschewept

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Hi:

I live in manhattan currently but only because I am housesitting for my sister, otherwise there is no way I would be able to afford it on my research assistant's salary. Manhattan is really really expensive.
    If I had the choice I would personally live in Brooklyn because I love the feel of certain neighborhoods there (ie. more relaxed and laid back then manhattan).
    Downtown manhattan is definitely a fun place, lots of bars and young people and lots of partying-but not sure if thats what you want to be in the midst of while a graduate student...
    it definitely depends on who you are and what you feel is important for you to have surrounding your home.

6. psychplease

5+ Year Member

7. doclab

I interviewed at LIU-Brooklyn two years ago while applying and while there were some great aspects (cohesive student body) I felt that I would be too restricted theoretically. The professors I spoke with were quite upfront about the orientation of the program and while there may be a few opportunities to learn about other theories (Cog Beh) that is not what they practice. I ended up attending a more balanced school (theory wise) and I am thankful for that. Obviously I don't know your personal orientation but I find it hard to universally apply only one orientation (especially psychodynamic) to the clients I have encountered in my career.

Just my thoughts!
    Good Luck.

8. ohno1235

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I got a letter about an open house. Is that the interview?

9. psychplease

5+ Year Member

10. OP
    OP
    AnotherCanadian

2+ Year Member

Thanks so much to everyone for their helpful responses!

As for the open house...I haven't received an invitation to one. Could it be for the PsyD program at the CW Post campus? Otherwise, I have no idea what to make of it.

11. freudfiend

2+ Year Member

Is anybody going to the LIU open house? Does anybody know if its a formal or informal event? (ie, suit or slacks?) And does anybody know who will be at the event (faculty, students, etc)?

THANX!

12. Dizzie

2+ Year Member

I'm pretty sure the open house is for prospective students for the following application year so it shouldn't be too dressy.

Just wondering if anyone has talked to anyone that was actually rejected from LIU that interviewed or if they are just putting everyone on this "waiting list"

13. tomviv

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hi, I interviewed at LIU (Brooklyn) a few weeks back. I've heard some people were contacted and given offers of admission but I haven't heard a peep. Anyone out there with more info about this? LIU is the 4th place I interviewed at and the program I'm interested in the least but I'm still hoping to get an offer for feelings of self-worth purposes. :cool: