Long Island University School of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dee77happy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone attends or knows anything about Long Island University's School of Pharmacy? Did anyone apply and have you heard anything if you did? Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Dee77happy said:
I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone attends or knows anything about Long Island University's School of Pharmacy? Did anyone apply and have you heard anything if you did? Thanks in advance! :)
yeah, i applied there but got a rejection letter from them last week. Its quite a good school, my sister goes there so i know a bit about it. If you wanna give them a call to ask after your status -cool but they also rarely pick up calls.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I got accepted into LIU, but I finally decided on SUNY- Buffalo since they took so long to get back to me. I didn't hear from then until about April. I heard good things about LIU, but everyone that I knew that applied had trouble with them. The admissions office wouldn't answer questions and everything that was organized (placement tests and orientation) was told to the admitted students too close to the dates. I heard about the placement tests about a week and a half before they were scheduled.

Is this school connected with pharmcas like others?

AshG323 said:
Yea, I got accepted into LIU, but I finally decided on SUNY- Buffalo since they took so long to get back to me. I didn't hear from then until about April. I heard good things about LIU, but everyone that I knew that applied had trouble with them. The admissions office wouldn't answer questions and everything that was organized (placement tests and orientation) was told to the admitted students too close to the dates. I heard about the placement tests about a week and a half before they were scheduled.

Do you happen to know what types of placement tests they are? And did they already hold an orientation? I really appreciate this, I know you've probably forgotten about them since you got into SUNY. By the way, CONGRATS!!

still haven't heard anything :( :confused:
i should call even if i get the run-around

Dee77happy said:
Do you happen to know what types of placement tests they are? And did they already hold an orientation? I really appreciate this, I know you've probably forgotten about them since you got into SUNY. By the way, CONGRATS!!

Well they did send me a paper with sample problems that I could practice on. It looks like the placement tests are based on Geometry and Algebra 2. And calculators are not allowed during the test! :mad: I'm not sure whether or not the orientation has passed yet.

A friend of mine didnt recieve any notification from them either. She called one day and was told (by an administrator that said she was too busy for details) that she had gotten in (even though they didnt send any notification). She recieved her welcome package about a month later.

Thanks for the congrats :)

AshG323 said:
Well they did send me a paper with sample problems that I could practice on. It looks like the placement tests are based on Geometry and Algebra 2. And calculators are not allowed during the test! :mad: I'm not sure whether or not the orientation has passed yet.

A friend of mine didnt recieve any notification from them either. She called one day and was told (by an administrator that said she was too busy for details) that she had gotten in (even though they didnt send any notification). She recieved her welcome package about a month later.

Thanks for the congrats :)

I am also interested in applying to LIU. I will be graduating with a BS in Medicinal Chemistry next year. Did anyone also apply with a BS degree? Guidance through this process would be greatly appreciated!
I was just wondering about their PCAT requirements. It says recommended...what does that mean? Should I take it? My GPA is decent, about a 3.5 cummulative. Does anyone have any advice/predictions? Thanks in advance.

AshG323 said:

congratulations!! Buffalo pharmacy school is way better than any other pharmacy school in ny state...goodluck and you'll enjoy your four years their...haha
:laugh:

eeeduh said:
I am also interested in applying to LIU. I will be graduating with a BS in Medicinal Chemistry next year. Did anyone also apply with a BS degree? Guidance through this process would be greatly appreciated!
I was just wondering about their PCAT requirements. It says recommended...what does that mean? Should I take it? My GPA is decent, about a 3.5 cummulative. Does anyone have any advice/predictions? Thanks in advance.

I got accepted last year as a transfer student. PCAT is not required. If you apply online, it's free and their application is extremely simple. I got a BS in biology and got the same GPA you got. Apply early, and make sure that your documents (i.e. transcripts, recom. letters, etc) are received by their lousy admissions office.

Good luck!

hcp said:
I got accepted last year as a transfer student. PCAT is not required. If you apply online, it's free and their application is extremely simple. I got a BS in biology and got the same GPA you got. Apply early, and make sure that your documents (i.e. transcripts, recom. letters, etc) are received by their lousy admissions office.

Good luck!

Hey Bro i got a question, u said "they dont need PCAT scores" wat collage u r talking about??? and please can u tell me wat was ur total GPA and Sci GPA and did u do any pharmacy work?? i would like to appy to that collage because of No PCAT.....
thanx for the help
and congrats
jay

hcp said:

Good luck!

Thanks hcp! Did you get in as a 3rd year? Did you take ALL of their required prereqs like the speech classes too? Do we also have to send in our high school transcripts even if we graduated from college? The thing is, I'm planning to apply by December even though their deadline is February, but I won't be graduated until May. Does that make a difference? Thanks a bunch!

jay04002 said:
Hey Bro i got a question, u said "they dont need PCAT scores" wat collage u r talking about??? and please can u tell me wat was ur total GPA and Sci GPA and did u do any pharmacy work?? i would like to appy to that collage because of No PCAT.....
thanx for the help
and congrats
jay

I'm talking about LIU. My overall GPA was 3.5 and science GPA was 3.2

pkpd said:
congratulations!! Buffalo pharmacy school is way better than any other pharmacy school in ny state...goodluck and you'll enjoy your four years their...haha
:laugh:

Thank you. I actually never heard about UB until I went searching on the PCAT site. I just knew I wanted to go to school in NY.

Anybody else have state preferences?

My husbamd goes there.. LIU's program is designed for pharmacy careers in a hospital setting, so it is a lot more difficult than some other programs. last year, he got his letter in april. i do hear they will be requiring the PCAT next year, though.

as someone mentioned before, the admissions office is lazy, slow, and loses things a lot. They lost my friend's recommendation letters, and they sent my application for grad school to the department over a month after they received it... and i was applying for early decision. but the first thing they did was cash the application fee check. jerks.

aamna929 said:
My husbamd goes there.. LIU's program is designed for pharmacy careers in a hospital setting, so it is a lot more difficult than some other programs. last year, he got his letter in april. i do hear they will be requiring the PCAT next year, though.

as someone mentioned before, the admissions office is lazy, slow, and loses things a lot. They lost my friend's recommendation letters, and they sent my application for grad school to the department over a month after they received it... and i was applying for early decision. but the first thing they did was cash the application fee check. jerks.

You paid an application fee? Did you do the paper application? I did the online application ,which I think somebody already metioned, was very simple and free. What does your husband think about the school (curriculum wise)?

My husband didn't have to pay an application fee or take PCATs because he was already a student there (I don't know for sure if this is going to change soon, but it probably will b/c a pre-pharm friend of mine told me they are going to require the PCATs next yr for all applicants - the dean is constantly raising standards every year now). Basically, you have to do two applications when you're a pre-pharm student there - one to get accepted to the pharmacy program as a freshman (which you pay an app fee for) and another application for the professional program at the end of your 3rd semester. The app for the professional program was basically one sheet where you wrote all your personal info and you check off all the pre-pharm courses you took. No rec letters or personal statement needed. But for transfers, I would recommend they include rec letters.. b/c there isn't much space for transfer students and are very selective with them.

The professional curriculum is really challenging and strenuous.. content is a LOT.. exams every Friday, so you have a week to study for each exam.. then during finals you have an exam every day, which is really difficult. but it is an excellent program.. in comparison to st. john's program (I only this b/c another family member goes to SJU for pharm). i don't know much about the other pharm programs in NY.

aamna929 said:
The professional curriculum is really challenging and strenuous.. content is a LOT.. exams every Friday, so you have a week to study for each exam.. then during finals you have an exam every day, which is really difficult. but it is an excellent program.. in comparison to st. john's program (I only this b/c another family member goes to SJU for pharm). i don't know much about the other pharm programs in NY.

I actually applied to several of the Pharm schools in NY. St. Johns, LIU, SUNY Buffalo, and I was going to apply to ACP, but I figured i'd already applied to too many (my total was 8 colleges that i applied to).

Reactions: 1 user
Hey... I just recently got accepted to LIU at the end of May. All I have to say is you are going to fight a Battle, be prepared. Its War out there and you need to Load up on as much Ammo you can carry. Think of each school as a country. Russia US Korea Japan etc... Which country can you take on. Beware North Korea doesnt let anyone in or out... This means that the school does not take any transfers. Guys if it means you have to lie to get in then lie away... Network.. Get to know people in high places. Get letters to support you Bull****. Write with confidence. Dont GIVE ANY EXCUSES. Even if you think your GPA is weak, write about how you think your GPA is amazing and and you mastered everything. Dont give excuses. Play on their emotions a bit, just a bit, send in official letters of rec on letter heads. Edit you Personal statements before you send them in, even if it means u have to pay proffessional editing services. They will really make your letters shine away, and show how well you communicate. Support you hard work. Tell them all of the obstacles you have went through example: Language Barrier, emmigration, Brothers sisters, Parents working, family illness, you illness, anything you had to overcome, any challenges that have went your way and how you got through them, be creative, give them as much information as you can as to why you know you will succeed in pharmacy school and why you are certain that you will become a pharmacist.... Show them that you are a tank as opposed to a machine gun, there is nothing that will stop you. Nothingggggg. Dont ever let anyone make you give up and tell you that you have no chance. I have called many schools and all I heard was its highlyyyyyyyyyy competetive (Bull****tttttttt) ....Follow you dreamz. It took me a year and a half to get into LIU. But I got in with a 3.182 GPA overall, somewhat of 3.3 in sciences, and a ****ty PCat score. The key is that LiU requires PCats now and they dont have a score they require yet bec this pcat thing is new, so basically just take it and do ur best. Oh and if you got denied last year, LIU has a rolling admissions process, so make sure that as soon as you get denied that u call them and make them put ur file asap for next year. That way ur file will be all the way on top. And asap send ur updated pre-reqs. Make sure u have all of them.

Guys I wish you all the best.........

Love Anna.K :love: :love:

Reactions: 1 user
So, what are these proffessional editing services? Anyone know of any? I am interested. ThankS!