Long Island University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

gdawg102

I am planning to apply to Long Island U, which is my first choice. Any of you guys have any experience applying there? I am planning to call them to ask them questions, but just wanted to know how you went about applying there cuz I got an application from them that was one page long, and no request for recommendation, PCAT, etc.

~gdawg

Members don't see this ad.

I applied on-line, and it was very fast. I received a confirmation email the next day to remind me to have my transcripts sent. The recommendation form is optional, and you can have a professional fill it out, rather than a professor, if you wish. I think there may be an essay, but if there is, it is optional.

what is prepharmacy courses requirement for Long Island? how ome they do not have any things on it..they just have a number to call for Admission??!?!

Members don't see this ad :)
RascalCA4Life said:
what is prepharmacy courses requirement for Long Island? how ome they do not have any things on it..they just have a number to call for Admission??!?!

I know, it's really frustrating. I emailed them and they sent me some info, but the packet did not include a list of prereqs. From what I gather, if you have completed prereqs elsewhere, you will apply as a transfer into their pharmacy program (which includes the entire 1-6 years). So depending on which courses you are deficient in, they may start you off in year 2, or if you have fulfilled the requirements you will start in year 3.

Email [email protected] and they will send you a packet, but you can also apply online at www.brooklyn.liu.edu/apply. Their application is very easy.

They were pretty flaky... I faxed my application twice and they lost it twice.

Their requirements are very similar to most schools. You can call the pharmacy department and ask them to have their requirements faxed or mailed to you. It's one single page which includes their pre-reqs and courses you will be taking during your prof. years.

If you have any particular questions, just send me a pm. I'll join LIU pharmacy school (3rd year transfer) this fall 2005.

Sustiva said:
They were pretty flaky... I faxed my application twice and they lost it twice.

You're right... LIU Admissions people suck :p

If you want to get things done, you better call them a couple times and find out if they have all your documents. I got screwed last year, therefore, this year I went to the school and personally reviewed my admissions file :D

I called LIU today, the admissions "counselor" said that the application process for the pharm D transfer does not start until late October or early November for them. The woman said to contact again cuz they didn't finish setting up the requirements for applying yet. The deadline for the application is February 1, 2006

~gdawg

While they do not formally require LORs, PCAT scores, or personal statements, they sent a letter to last year's applicants saying these items were strongly recommended since they received so many apps last year. If you don't submit these, I don't think you will be very competitive.

Hello!!

I want to apply LIU for pharmacy, right now I am taking some courses from college, but I want to finish my pre-req. from LIU, so what can I do about that, should I apply directly to Pharmacy program, or any program then apply to Pharmacy? which you think will be better for me, any idea??? Thank you...

Their requirements are very similar to most schools. You can call the pharmacy department and ask them to have their requirements faxed or mailed to you. It's one single page which includes their pre-reqs and courses you will be taking during your prof. years.

If you have any particular questions, just send me a pm. I'll join LIU pharmacy school (3rd year transfer) this fall 2005.

Hello!!

I want to apply LIU for pharmacy, right now I am taking some courses from college, but I want to finish my pre-req. from LIU, so what can I do about that, should I apply directly to Pharmacy program, or any program then apply to Pharmacy? which you think will be better for me, any idea??? Thank you...

Thank you very much.. The other question is that I have called and asked them about applying there as a trasfer student, but they said that they only accept the freshman students. So I told them that's fine, I can start all over, but they said I can not start as a freshman. I am confused right now. What is that???
Thank you

Thank you very much.. The other question is that I have called and asked them about applying there as a trasfer student, but they said that they only accept the freshman students. So I told them that's fine, I can start all over, but they said I can not start as a freshman. I am confused right now. What is that???
Thank you

Not true, although external transfer are VERY LIMITED

Last edited:
I have called them, I said I have college credits that up to 24,told them I want to apply as a freshman student, they said no, you can not do that. No Pharmacy collegese said that before... Whyyy?? I want to cry:(:(:(::(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I have called them, I said I have college credits that up to 24,told them I want to apply as a freshman student, they said no, you can not do that. No Pharmacy collegese said that before... Whyyy?? I want to cry:(:(:(::(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I went through a similar situation but had more college credits & they told me the same thing. Now I am applying to CW Post in Brookville (it's closer for me since I'm further east on the island) & will do my prereqs there & apply to LIU then. I am not sure why they do this but I ran into the same thing with St Johns. I will still be a transfer though so it will be harder to get into LIU but I am hoping my gpa & pcat scores, etc. will be good enough. Anyway, good luck to ya.