Long Island University's Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazycanine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From LIU's Pharm.D. info:
"The Arnold & Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences offers a six-year curriculum leading to the entry-level degree of Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.). Students may enter the professional phase of the program in the Fall semester only. The Doctor of Pharmacy program consists of four years of undergraduate-level study and two years of graduate-level study. Students completing the Doctor of Pharmacy program do not earn a baccalaureate degree after completing the program or prior to beginning the graduate-level phase of the program."

Does this mean their program is 4+2 (instead of 2+4)?
Rhetorically, if I make their program for the entire 6 yrs., will their degree of a pharmacist be "equal" to one such as St. John's?
I've read forums that a student w/ a bachelor's degree who applies for pharmacy school has a better chance than one who's already in the school's pre-pharm. (Did that make sense?) Is this generally true?

I'm worried about the consideration of transfers prior to professional year. Obviously this means I'll have to work diligently in the future, but still worried & not too confident.

I have tons of questions for this school, so I'm willing to hear out any answers/criticism/suggestions, etc... It'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently interviews are over. So now, we wait for the letters to come. The funny thing with LIU is that they never tell you the official status of your application compared to other schools.

Whenever I called up LECOM, Jefferson, or St. John Fisher, they asked for my social security #, looked it up on the computer, and gave me an answer. LIU has been really quiet.

St. John Fisher isn't a real option for me. They don't provide dorms for Pharmacy students, and everybody that I know going to school in Rochester says that they are racist over there. Besides, there is no baseball team near Rochester other than probably Toronto at the closest so I would never be able to see my beloved Mets play other than on TV.

This summer, I'm just gonna take Physics. I think that Jefferson rejected me because of the PharmCAS transcript issues, they have no record of me in Fall 2007. They told me I can call over the summer and try again if spots have opened up. I'm planning on being in Penn for the latter part of the summer anyway. I'm planning on being part of the Mets Fans Invasion of Philadelphia, while I'm there I'll visit Jefferson and see what's going on.

But if this year doesn't workout, I can finish off my bachelor's next year. MCAT I'm taking next month. Apply to both Medical and Pharmacy Schools, see what happens.

Apparently interviews are over. So now, we wait for the letters to come. The funny thing with LIU is that they never tell you the official status of your application compared to other schools.

Whenever I called up LECOM, Jefferson, or St. John Fisher, they asked for my social security #, looked it up on the computer, and gave me an answer. LIU has been really quiet.

St. John Fisher isn't a real option for me. They don't provide dorms for Pharmacy students, and everybody that I know going to school in Rochester says that they are racist over there. Besides, there is no baseball team near Rochester other than probably Toronto at the closest so I would never be able to see my beloved Mets play other than on TV.

This summer, I'm just gonna take Physics. I think that Jefferson rejected me because of the PharmCAS transcript issues, they have no record of me in Fall 2007. They told me I can call over the summer and try again if spots have opened up. I'm planning on being in Penn for the latter part of the summer anyway. I'm planning on being part of the Mets Fans Invasion of Philadelphia, while I'm there I'll visit Jefferson and see what's going on.

But if this year doesn't workout, I can finish off my bachelor's next year. MCAT I'm taking next month. Apply to both Medical and Pharmacy Schools, see what happens.

do you know how many people would get into after appealing from last year? I don't hear any from LIU

That's a realistic number. My school took in 300 for pharmacy freshman year. Some of that number dropped out or failed out, so that number's probably about 250 now.