Long or short hair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

For the ladies: What length is your hair

• Short

Votes: 23 29.9%
  • Long

Votes: 54 70.1%

• Total voters

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been browsing through the various school's web pages and photos. It seems like the majority of women have long hair, so I thought I would take a poll here on SDN of length of hair.

I was wondering also, for the longer hair women.... how are you planning on doing your hair for clinicals and class...up or down?

Just curious, I have too much time on my hands lately. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Amy B said:
Hi,
I have been browsing through the various school's web pages and photos. It seems like the majority of women have long hair, so I thought I would take a poll here on SDN of length of hair.

I was wondering also, for the longer hair women.... how are you planning on doing your hair for clinicals and class...up or down?

Just curious, I have too much time on my hands lately. :D

I'm not in medschool yet...can I play? :D

2badr said:
I'm not in medschool yet...can I play? :D
Of course you can play. Any and all premeds and med students can play
1274.gif
1085.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Just from my point of view of being a guy...long hair is awesome!

If its red its even better!

(I give this thread less than 10 posts before its moved to the lounge :) )

I am a sucker for girls with long hair :p (That's like shoulder length or longer!)
DON'T CUT IT OFF!!!!! Noooooooooo!!!!!! :scared: :scared:

That's why they make them scrunchy things and rubber bands for pony tails :D :idea:

( yes I am a guy and I simply couldn't resist this thread rofl )

my hair reaches my bra strap on my back. when im in the lab i just pull it back in a pony or a bun. i gather i will do the same once in med school. :D i am NEVER cutting my hair!

Robz said:
(I give this thread less than 10 posts before its moved to the lounge :) )

I almost posted it in the lounge but I know there are people here in pre-DO that don't ever venture to the lounge so I wanted to post it here.

:idea: SSSHHHHHHH maybe we will stay beneath Drmom's post moving radar for awhile

I wish I hadn't cut my hair. It seems like no one has short hair but me :scared: :oops:

Oh well, it will be easier to put in the surgical cap once surgical rotations start.

I had very long hair (down to my waist), but I cut it recently. I wanted a change before med school, and it's so much more manageable now. It's still long (below my shoulders), but it's not so long that it gets in the way. And not so long that I can't actually leave it down. :p

I have short hair,it's about chin length. Don't hate your short,I love mine. I do sometimes long for those days when I could pull all of my hair back into a ponytail and have none of it fall out....sigh..........But don't worry...short hair is winning the poll so there are more of us than you think.

I have red hair, and it hangs down my back past my bra strap. When I need to, I pull it up into a ponytail or a wadded up in a bun! :laugh:

~Michelle (aka "Red"!)

drbertha said:
I have red hair, and it hangs down my back past my bra strap. When I need to, I pull it up into a ponytail or a wadded up in a bun! :laugh:
sigh..... :oops:

Amy B said:
:idea: SSSHHHHHHH maybe we will stay beneath Drmom's post moving radar for awhile

I wish I hadn't cut my hair. It seems like no one has short hair but me :scared: :oops:

Nothing can stop the spanish inques....er Dr. Mom! :)

Oh, and my Mom likes her hair short. There is one for you. :)

At AZCOM, we do a "Cuts for Kids" community service project in the spring of each year. This involves many of our women growing their hair for the majority of the year, and then cutting it short. Everyone on the same day. We donate the cut hair to an organization that makes wigs for pediatric CA pts that have lost their hair. It really is a neat experience. I suggest that other DO programs perhaps initiate a similar project.

Members don't see this ad :)
cdreed said:
At AZCOM, we do a "Cuts for Kids" community service project in the spring of each year. This involves many of our women growing their hair for the majority of the year, and then cutting it short. Everyone on the same day. We donate the cut hair to an organization that makes wigs for pediatric CA pts that have lost their hair. It really is a neat experience. I suggest that other DO programs perhaps initiate a similar project.

That is such a great cause. Way to GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine is long for the fourth time in my life. I'm sure I'll go through the cut and grow out cycle again. It's down to my shoulder blades. I pull it back for labs. I braid it overnight to put waves in it for dancing. I tie it up when it's naughty and let it down when it's good. I like being able to control my hair--with long hair, you never wake up with a suprise froofie thing happening on one side of your hair in the morning.

Right now it's long and blonde, but it'll be a bit redder in a couple of weeks. :D

mine is almost an inch below my ears, and it's never been longer than shoulder length. with a very long neck and naturally curly hair, it took 2 years to get to the shoulders.

i totally plan on dying it bright red as soon as i quit my job because i won't have to look "professional" for awhile. or at least i hope.

If you cut your hair short for this, you are a saint and I would definately not mind ;P In fact it would score major points with me!

What a worthy and noble cause!!!

I'd grow my hair long for something like that but...it would grow up into a blonde afro, and trust me, that is a scary thing LOL :p

-Richie

Richie Truxillo said:
If you cut your hair short for this, you are a saint and I would definately not mind ;P In fact it would score major points with me!

What a worthy and noble cause!!!

I'd grow my hair long for something like that but...it would grow up into a blonde afro, and trust me, that is a scary thing LOL :p

-Richie

you mean like this?
blndjumboafro.JPG

Its gone more than ten posts....I have been proven wrong...GASP.

Anyway...does anyone else hear a disco beat?????

Robz said:
Its gone more than ten posts....I have been proven wrong...GASP.

Anyway...does anyone else hear a disco beat?????

I can feel it!
tony_and_stephanie.jpg

BTW ladies with long hair get my vote every time! :thumbup:

oh Lord have mercy. No my fro wouldn't look like that. It grows straight up into a "box fro", kinda like "Kid's" fro in that old 80s movie, "House Party" with Kid & Play. Be afraid, very afraid :p

But wait, I am derailing this thread with talk of afros... Long hair gets the vote!!!

-Richie

I look much better with long hair. It's halfway down my back. It's easy to toss in a ponytail. :)

I think most guys seem to like long hair.....however.....I for one like short hair and/or when girls pull back their hair. Also it was amusing to see this post because I just got my hair cut for the first time in 4 months!!

Josh

I'm an MSII and my hair is quite long, about midway down my back. i plan on keeping it that way for a while, i'm pretty attached to my hair. on clinicals i'll probably either wear it half up or tied back to keep it out of my face.

Count me as another redhead with long hair!! Well....auburn, but that still counts as red, right?

I actually just had about 7 or 8 inches cut off my hair right before Easter. It's still right at shoulder length, though. I would've donated to Locks of Love, but it was severely damaged from years of neglect. My sister & brother-in-law both just donated their hair to Locks of Love during the last year. Maybe the next time I grow it out and cut it, I'll donate it!

As for what to do with it....I've always either put it in a ponytail or pin it up with a clip or hairsticks. Now I just have to keep my bangs out of my eyes, so a headband or barrette is all I require!

And yet.....i want my hair back!

Willow

As I posted earlier, I have red hair halfway down my back, with no bangs. It's just kind of layered. Lately I've been thinking of getting it cut, maybe w/ long bangs. Any thoughts?

~Michelle

Is it me, or does it seem like there is an extrodinarily high number of women with long red hair in this forum???
:)

kaikai128 said:
Is it me, or does it seem like there is an extrodinarily high number of women with long red hair in this forum???

You can add me to the list...although my hair is only shoulder length at the moment

mine's long and brown! yay for once i am different :D

My hair is black or dark brown according to some people.

I used to have short, chin length hair, but it's difficult to get all of the hair out of the way when I work out, plus, everyone I know loves my hair long and think I look better with long hair.

My cheeks (the ones on my face....okay, fine, the other ones, too) are too chubby that long hair elongates my face.

Dr.Bertha- long bangs are totally sexy! go for it! lots of layers! weeee!

As for me, I cut my long hair when I realized it was taking too much time. Its short now and I doubt I'll grow it during med school. How do you ladies manage the long hair?!? :eek:

Dr. ImCute,

If that is your picture in that avatar, you are the spitting image of a girl I went to High school with named Liz! You aren't her are ya? hehe :eek:

Dr.Mom,

Thanks for keeping this thread open. You rock. :love: :thumbup:

Rest of ya'll,

So we have red hair, brown hair and black hair. No blonde hair or crazy dyed hair yet :p Long hair is definately cool but I realize it can be an annoyance especially when working in a clinical environment. Plus it takes forever to dry! :D

mine is brown..with blonde highlights..and falls about 1/2 in. past my shoulders...now, how do you categorize that?!

Richie Truxillo said:
So we have red hair, brown hair and black hair. No blonde hair or crazy dyed hair yet :p

Mine's long and blonde. Well, it's like shoulder length when it's curly (it's really curly) and bra strap length when it's straight.

the crazy purple dyed hair commenced with high school graduation....

kaikai128 said:

I'm in heaven!!!!!

Sigh..... :oops:

Mine's long and blonde. Well, it's like shoulder length when it's curly (it's really curly) and bra strap length when it's straight.

Yay! Blonde hair! Do you all with curly hair find that you want straight hair? I used to hate my natural curly hair.

(hear that? :rolleyes: it's the sound of a derailed thread!! :laugh: )

-Richie

Richie Truxillo said:
Dr. ImCute,

If that is your picture in that avatar, you are the spitting image of a girl I went to High school with named Liz! You aren't her are ya? hehe :eek:

No blonde hair or crazy dyed hair yet :p Long hair is definately cool but I realize it can be an annoyance especially when working in a clinical environment. Plus it takes forever to dry! :D

dr.richie,
hahaha... no my name is not liz
and i have chocolate cherry dyed hair... is that a crazy enuf color? lol. :p

Chocolate Cherry, sounds tasty! However, I am not sure what exact shade it is but I'm going to get a brownish-red. :)

Most of us guys grew up knowing the colors in the big 128 color crayola crayon box. :p So if you tell me your hair is dyed for example, "Forest green", the mental image of the forest green crayon forms and I nod my head and go..."YEAH!!!" When I read that your hair was dyed chocolate-cherry, the first thing that popped into my head was a Dairy Queen Blizzard with chocolate ice cream and cherries whipped in there.... I have no idea why I am revealing this but I think it has something to do with the fact that I leave for San Francisco on Saturday for a business trip, I am running on 5 hours of sleep and I am currently at work. :p

As for not being Liz, it was worth a shot. :) You never know who you are going to meet back up with and where. She wanted to be a doctor too and she had the same happy, outgoing personality (which is laced through your writing style in your posts), so naturally, I had to ask. :laugh:

Continue on with the discussion! This is like a great thread!

-Richie

Thinking of this thread and thinking of how it relates to medicine...I wonder if hair ever gets in the way of gross anatomy (yuk!) or gets yanked during OMT lab. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I'm a guy and have short hair cause I don't like the hassle a lot of the time plus it saves on shampoo and conditioner.....

I am thinking of going to a stylist and getting a new do...don't know how much that will cost but hey...I got time before school to look good. :)

Dr.ImCute said:
As for me, I cut my long hair when I realized it was taking too much time. Its short now and I doubt I'll grow it during med school. How do you ladies manage the long hair?!? :eek:

Are you kidding me? Long hair is the easiest thing I have ever had. I wash it every other night, go to sleep with it damp, wake up in the morning, brush it and head off into the world. If it's in the way, I pull it into a ponytail, which takes ten seconds. Thirty if I want it neat.

Oh, I CAN fuss with it if I want to; I Dutch braid it at night if I'm going contra dancign the next day or something so I can have waves. But I never have to; happiness is just an elastic band away.

My hair is long (to the middle of my back), light brown, and curly...I usually end up wearing it back in a ponytail on most days while I am on rotations (especially now since I am on peds because when I hold kids with my hair down they yank on it...)

Oh, and about hair getting in the way - I was wearing my hair down in anatomy lab one day because I had a "ponytail headache," and I was trying to be so careful, but once I leaned forward to look at something and my hair fell onto the cadaver... :eek: :scared: Really gross.

Don't know about hair falling into cadavers, but I just finished teaching Microbiology where my lab rule is: All long hair must be pulled back or put up!!! NO exceptions (including me). I saw a girl get her hair caught in a bunsen burner once and it wasn't an attractive thing.

Anyway, I had hair down to about the middle of my back until just a few weeks ago so I taught a lot of labs with super-long hair. It's EASY to deal with. I take a shower in the morning and use a large clip to pin it up on the back of my head. After growing my bangs out, it just got easier. I don't wait for it dry. I don't fuss with it. I pin it up. Now that it's shoulder-length, I usually only worry about pulling back what used to be my bangs.

Of course, short hair was easy to deal with too. Maybe because I tend to do *nothing* with my hair unless I'm going somewhere special.

Oh, and I love the chocolate cherry color! For most of the winter, I had mine dyed "midnight ruby"--a luscious combination of black and red! Now it's back to its natural state of medium auburn with the occasional wild streak of copper! LOL