Long post - I really need your help on school choice and chances (Low GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

encinitaslocal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just the dirty, updated statistics:

Two DEGREES, not majors, B.S. Biochemistry and B.A. Psychology

cGPA- 3.3
sGPA- 3.5
MCAT - 32S

Upper Division Courses:
Biochemistry 1 & 2 = A's
Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 = A's
Cell Bio = B+
Molecular Bio = B+
Quantitative Chemical Analysis = A
Physical Biochemistry = A
Genetics = B

24 year old, upper middle class, California resident, Currently in gap year applying for 2013 at a top 25 university doing research under a R01.

ECs
  • Nordstrom's Employee - Full time for 4 summers and some Christmas' break
  • Eco-responsibility student initiative planner (1 year, the only time it was done, it was a grassroots student organization aimed at raising funds for a well in Africa through resource conservation, essentially kids conserve water and electricity on campus and our school agreed whatever we saved off the top was going to be donated) 6 hrs/week during that time
  • ER Waiting Room Volunteer - Just started in May, 6hrs/week
  • At Risk Adolescent Tutor - 1 year for 7 hrs/week
  • Non Profit Organizer - 1.5 yrs 10 hrs/week (We provided crowd-sourced fundraising resources as well as marketing for non-profits. We created a website that allowed fundraising events to upload/download well-designed materials to market with as well as provide ideas for fundraisers. This allowed non-profits to receive quality marketing materials for free, thereby increasing fundraising profit and maximizing giving-potential.)
  • Undergraduate Research- three different projects, nothing really came of any of it.
  • Currently researching high caliber stuff, four projects, two have been accepted for conferences and one (the one I'm the primary on) is going to have a talk at one of the biggest science conferences in the US. One project is about chemo recovery model (4th author), two are on a developmental models of schizophrenia (3rd on both), and my project (1st author) is on stress and pregnancy.
  • Hobbies are - Coffee Roasting, Fitness athlete (competitive beach volleyball for awhile, won some small contests in random stuff), cyclist, multi-instrumentalist

Working on my PS, I obviously think it's good but who knows. LOR are very very strong, my PI is a top in his field and very well respected, writing me a phenomenal letter as he says.

School LIst
  • UCLA - reach
  • UCSD - reach
  • UCD
  • UCI
  • USC
  • Loma Linda
  • Loyola
  • Michigan State
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Rush
  • Ohio State
  • Illinois at Chicago
  • Georgetown

Where else should I apply??? What are my chances? Will be submitting June 5th, everything is done except for PS. Obviously nervous because I am by far reaching to even get into MD. I want MD over DO because of the research opportunities and specializing available to MDs traditionally.

Sincere thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

As an "upper middle class", California resident there's going to be a higher expectation from you as an applicant. Your cGPA is low and your sGPA is also low but your MCAT is average for California residents. Your ECs are weak-average too since you're lacking strong clinical experience. With a GPA/ECs/MCAT combination of low/low/average you're going to need to apply broadly and early. Have your application submitted by June 5th, pre-write your secondaries and I would say apply to at least 30 schools if not more, based on your social group you should be able to afford to pay for that many schools. I would highly suggest you read my MDapplicants profile because I spent a lot of time explaining how I got accepted into multiple medical schools with below average stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had very similar stats and class level to you and chose schools based on GPA and MCAT last cycle. See my MDApps for the listing,

Even with the solid non-clinical ECs, the low GPA remains the chink in your armor that all schools will key into - and when they see your lack of clinical exposure, well that is not good amongst the competition. Personally, without appreciable clinical and shadowing experience, your chances are slim.

The biggest problem is your CA residency. Consider applying as a state resident of Michigan or Virgina, your GPA/MCAT would be fine. Your GPA/MCAT are low for California, chances are not good. Applying to private schools OOS brings your chances up a little, since residency is not a problem - though you tend to see more applicants doing OOS apps too, and making the competition a bit tighter.

I had very similar stats and class level to you and chose schools based on GPA and MCAT last cycle. See my MDApps for the listing,

Even with the solid non-clinical ECs, the low GPA remains the chink in your armor that all schools will key into - and when they see your lack of clinical exposure, well that is not good amongst the competition. Personally, without appreciable clinical and shadowing experience, your chances are slim.

The biggest problem is your CA residency. Consider applying as a state resident of Michigan or Virgina, your GPA/MCAT would be fine. Your GPA/MCAT are low for California, chances are not good. Applying to private schools OOS brings your chances up a little, since residency is not a problem - though you tend to see more applicants doing OOS apps too, and making the competition a bit tighter.

Thanks for the insight!

I don't know the particular rules for these states, but for most it takes a minimum of a year to change residency -- does the OP have some connection to these states I missed? While changing state residencies might help (and you could do better admissions-wise than Michigan or Virginia), spending another year taking post-bacc classes and gaining clinical experience would be much more helpful.

I don't know the particular rules for these states, but for most it takes a minimum of a year to change residency -- does the OP have some connection to these states I missed? While changing state residencies might help (and you could do better admissions-wise than Michigan or Virginia), spending another year taking post-bacc classes and gaining clinical experience would be much more helpful.

Postbacc is essentially out of the question because of my two degrees. I have 198 semester units' so a few As wouldn't do much of anything.

I do not know that you understand the sense I used to make the point there. I was prompting the OP to consider what would be, so he can realize the problem with CA residency...not suggest moving.

Also, at your GPA the extra post-bacc credits of 3.8-4.0 will definately help. Trends are very important with a GPA like yours, so a year or two of post-bacc is a very good investment.

Just the dirty, updated statistics:

Two DEGREES, not majors, B.S. Biochemistry and B.A. Psychology

cGPA- 3.3
sGPA- 3.5
MCAT - 32S

Upper Division Courses:
Biochemistry 1 & 2 = A's
Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 = A's
Cell Bio = B+
Molecular Bio = B+
Quantitative Chemical Analysis = A
Physical Biochemistry = A
Genetics = B

24 year old, upper middle class, California resident, Currently in gap year applying for 2013 at a top 25 university doing research under a R01.

ECs
  • Nordstrom's Employee - Full time for 4 summers and some Christmas' break
  • Eco-responsibility student initiative planner (1 year, the only time it was done, it was a grassroots student organization aimed at raising funds for a well in Africa through resource conservation, essentially kids conserve water and electricity on campus and our school agreed whatever we saved off the top was going to be donated) 6 hrs/week during that time
  • ER Waiting Room Volunteer - Just started in May, 6hrs/week
  • At Risk Adolescent Tutor - 1 year for 7 hrs/week
  • Non Profit Organizer - 1.5 yrs 10 hrs/week (We provided crowd-sourced fundraising resources as well as marketing for non-profits. We created a website that allowed fundraising events to upload/download well-designed materials to market with as well as provide ideas for fundraisers. This allowed non-profits to receive quality marketing materials for free, thereby increasing fundraising profit and maximizing giving-potential.)
  • Undergraduate Research- three different projects, nothing really came of any of it.
  • Currently researching high caliber stuff, four projects, two have been accepted for conferences and one (the one I'm the primary on) is going to have a talk at one of the biggest science conferences in the US. One project is about chemo recovery model (4th author), two are on a developmental models of schizophrenia (3rd on both), and my project (1st author) is on stress and pregnancy.
  • Hobbies are - Coffee Roasting, Fitness athlete (competitive beach volleyball for awhile, won some small contests in random stuff), cyclist, multi-instrumentalist

Working on my PS, I obviously think it's good but who knows. LOR are very very strong, my PI is a top in his field and very well respected, writing me a phenomenal letter as he says.

School LIst
  • UCLA - reach
  • UCSD - reach
  • UCD
  • UCI
  • USC
  • Loma Linda
  • Loyola
  • Michigan State
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • Rush
  • Ohio State
  • Illinois at Chicago
  • Georgetown

Where else should I apply??? What are my chances? Will be submitting June 5th, everything is done except for PS. Obviously nervous because I am by far reaching to even get into MD. I want MD over DO because of the research opportunities and specializing available to MDs traditionally.

Sincere thanks for your time.
im no expert on california schools, but doesnt loma linda have a very specific christian mission? i feel like you really need to have experiences that show you are committed to this sort of lifestyle. could be wrong, probably should check out their website to be sure. and I agree what was said above about lacking in clinical experiences

Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate the input! Anyone else have any opinions?

Anyone have any suggestions on schools please? Struggling to complete a list. I'm obviously stronger in research so research-oriented schools would help....

List of schools.... thoughts?

BU
UCLA
Georgetown
Hofstra North Shore
USC
Loma Linda
Loyola
Michigan State
NYMC
OHSU
RFU
Rush
SUNY Stony Brook
Ohio State
University of Vermont
Tufts
UCSD
UCD
UCI
Colorado
Hawaii
UIllinois - Chicago
Maryland
Southern Carolina School of Medicine
UWashington
VCU
Wayne State

List of schools.... thoughts?

BU
UCLA - huge reach for stats
Georgetown - likes lots of service to the underprivileged, which you don't really have
Hofstra North Shore
USC
Loma Linda - make sure you're comfortable with the lifestyle agreement before applying
Loyola
Michigan State
- very high OOS tuition
NYMC
OHSU - not very OOS friendly
RFU
Rush
SUNY Stony Brook
Ohio State
University of Vermont
Tufts
UCSD