1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Long shot, not so hot bcmp

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by engineeredout, Jun 5, 2008.

1. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    BUMPED: Scroll down and read updated post at the bottom of teh thread

Okay so I just finished junior year. I'm interested in applying not during this session but next one (entering med school fall '10). I really haven't been a premed (god I hate that term) but lately I've become more disenfranchised with the idea of being an engineer. Also throughout the course of this year, I took the heaviest and hardest classload ever and my grades shot way up.

Unfortionately my BCMP (BCPM?) GPA is not too high. A c- in calc I first semester freshman year doesn't help. I've done stellar in my engineering classes but unfortionately they don't count towards the BCPM (although they damn well should. An entire class devoted to thermodynamics? kinetics? You telling me thats not chemistry? How about fluid mechanics, thats not physics??)

BCMP: 3.13
    Overall: 3.394

I'm a double chemical & molecular engineering, and applied mathematics & statistics major, which aren't exactly condusive to high GPAs. My semester GPAs during this past year were 3.75 and 3.98, so I've definitely been on an upward trend, but I don't think its enough.

I've yet to take the mCAT but I'm in the process of studying for it.

Not much in the way of ECs but this is what I have

--Helped organize organ donation awareness walk at school
    --Officer in my school's chapter of AIChE
    --Student rep on the undergraduate program committee (sit in on faculty meetings as student rep, giving student views about classes etc)
    --Starting volunteer work in an ER next week
    --Currently doing research in a cell lab
    --Had lots of jobs even during school but nothing medically related

I'm a NY resident so I'd obviously be interested in any of the SUNY schools, but anything in the north eastern US would be amazing.

I'll certainly try to pull up my GPA next year, but I don't think I can have too much of an effect on the BCMP gpa.

1. What are my chances?
    2. What mCAT score would I need to be competitive?
    3. What else can I do over the course of the next year before the next application session (besides the obvious boost GPA as much as possible)?

Thanks.

#1 engineeredout, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Uhh...how do you figure? A class doesn't have to be called "Physics 555" to be a physics class. I was an astrophysics major, and all my astro classes counted as BCMP.

Anyway, with your current GPA, I'd imagine you'll need at least a 33+ on the MCAT to have a shot. Aim for the mid to upper 30's, though.

4. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I figure because there is a separate category for engineering classes on the primary application... If all the classes are designated "Chemical and Molecular Engineering 310" or whatever, arent they dumped into engineering and not BCMP?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Posted via Mobile Device

#3 engineeredout, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  5. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Interesting. I can't see why they wouldn't count towards your science GPA, though.

6. talbo

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i am an engineer myself and applied last cycle and WL at some schools in cali, um you can put some engineering classes as math classes. for my major there's a engineering class called probability and i put that as math. i also put a mechanical engr class, thermodynamics under chemistry and AMCAS did not change it. You can try to put some engineering classes as physics/chem/math, such as mechanics should go under physics. One of my courses was called engineering physics although it was under the engineering dept, i put it as physics. what you can do is try to max out ur BCPM if you want, if AMCAS thinks differently on a class they will change it, but u can always enter what YOU think it is n it can wrk or not (definitely some classes i think will work like thermo, E&M, etc). hope this helps. good luck and go engineers!

7. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thanks a lot, i'll definitely do that. I was reading through the EK gen chem book and they have one chapter on kinetics and one on thermodynamics and i was laughing at it cause I spent thre semesters on those classes.

So fluid mechanics could go under physics? Same with heat and mass transfer? Kinetics for chemistry? material and energy balance, maybe for chemistry too? Seperation technologies might be physics too right?

My science GPA as calculated by aacomas is 3.44, i wish the bcpm could be that too
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. bozz

2+ Year Member

AMCAS says that 'Engineering' classes do not count towards the BCMP

9. talbo

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    you are definitely correct, but that's not what we were talking about, i was sayin you can classify some of those engineering class ppl have taken as a math, physics, chem which would become part of your BCMP

to the OP, these were some of the courses I entered
    Intro to Engr Thermo and I labeled it was 'Chemistry'
    Math of Engr and I put that as 'Math'
    Physics for Engr, I put as 'Physics', etc
    stuff like Circuit Analysis i leave as engineering

it'd be nice if you'd ace all ur engr courses and wanted them to label them into the categories of BCMP, but I don't think it'd be a good idea to go overboard haha, just the ones that could pass, but the ones you've listed should all be good if you labeled them the way u said

how's the AiChe at your school? I'm involved w/ the engr honor society, etc, you guys have tbp at your school?

10. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Well our ChemE program is new, we only got accredited this year so its not too big.

Technically we're not an OFFICIAL chapter of AIChE yet, we've just finished writing up the constitution and submitting all the general crap that AIChE wants.

Yeah we have TBP, but unfortionately due to my low freshman GPA I don't qualify to get in it :(. Man I wish they could judge me just based on this year.

I just remembered that I took a class under ChemE called "Numerical Methods and Statistical Analysis". It was a class on Mathematica, so I can definitely put that as math :-D

I tried recalculating my bcmp adding those grades in (except for material and energy balance, that one didn't feel like it fit too well)

3.28 > 3.13, if only amcas sees it that way

#9 engineeredout, Jun 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  11. Cmaster

Cmaster Daydreamer
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow, I so happy to see ChemE's applying to Med school. Im also just finish my jr.

12. abcabc1

2+ Year Member

There are ways to be creative with what goes into one's BCMP. Talk to other students and, perhaps, an adviser. You should be able to use some Engineering courses in your BCMP. I recommend taking Science courses as a Senior (ones you'll get As in) and undergrad Science classes next Summer. This should raise your BCMP.

Schools understand that Engineering is a tough curriculum. There's an understanding... so long as your MCAT scores are strong. You'd be expected to do well (11+) in the PS. Try to get at least 10 on BS and VR.

I think your best bet is raising your BCMP Senior year. You can take lower level Science course, Astronomy, certain Psych courses, Geology, etc. Find some courses that would count in your BCMP and that you will get As in.

13. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    My schedual is actually pretty full next year. The only class I'm taking that could affect the BCMP is bio I and II. Only problem is, those aren't easy As, but I'll certainly try.

And I'll try getting creative with the BCMP.

14. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    BUMPING this **** up rather than start a new thread.

I applied this year, schools in my mdapps.

AMCAS GPA:

3.4 overall
    3.31 BCMP.

MCAT: 8PS/12VR/10BS = 30P

Any shot at the SUNYs?

15. Twitch

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was also an engineering major. You'll be fine relax.

16. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    What were your stats if you don't mind?

Funny location btw :laugh:

Anyone else have thoughts?

17. jr doctor in sd

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Best of luck to you during the cycle...I know the feeling of having an extremely tough major while psych friends cruise but I will not complain :rolleyes: (though I just did haha).

I think with your stats you have a shot at the SUNYs - but the PS only an 8? You took so many engineering courses and physics-related courses - I am absolutely shocked at your PS score. Do you think maybe you overthought a lot of the questions? IF and only IF you can guarantee a better PS score, I might consider re-taking it since some schools would take your best total score - and with your background in PS you could get an 11 or 12 which would make your top score 12+ 12+10 = 34 if all goes well.

Also, need more medically related ECs, though I understand you decided late in the game. Possibly consider mass emailing some MDs to see if you can shadow some - that would help your app a bit IMHO. :thumbup:

18. hal9000

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :D Nice catch... I saw something similar on one of my CS professor's office door.

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"

I lol'd in the middle of the hallway.

Oh and your app looks solid btw. I'm sure you'll get a few interviews at least.

19. mbe36

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow, our stats are eerily similar! Good luck! Let's hope the SUNY's show us some love.

20. studentfalculty

MD/PhD Student
    To all whom feel as if they are striving to to get into medical school:

There are ways to enter medical school have you ever though about going abroad. That is what I did exspecially when I had racked up four degrees in the US finishing my pre requesites for Medical school. The price was inexpensive and I am completing my clinical in the US and then my Residency and I didn't have all of those extra classes to take. I love it!!!!!

21. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I have no idea what happened with the PS section. After I came out of the exam I knew I rocked VR and thought I bombed BS. I thought PS went fine, maybe 10-11. All my AAMC practice scores for it were 11-12. Seeing that grade was like getting hit by a train. It was the section I was most confident for and like you said, it was the one I should have been the most prepared for. Maybe I did overthink some questions, who knows. Luck of the draw I guess, I could have easily bombed the VR, and from what I hear you're better off doing good on VR poor on a science than the other way around.

Anyway the next mcats aren't offered until january anyway so I have time to consider a retake. The problem is I'm not going to really have time to study this semester. I'll see what happens, see if I get any love from any schools by the time january rolls around.

And thanks, I really hope I get some suny attention.

22. NSA MD

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Whats up buddy, found you on here by chance again it seems. I'm considering that re-take too...we both have the same numbers, so i think after january it will be inevitable...we have until June regardless, so i guess it begs the question "why not?"

23. alibai3ah

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The verbal being more important than all the sections isn't necessarily true. It depends on the medical school. I have heard some medical schools weigh heavily on the sciences (especially BS) and some weigh heavily on the verbal. But luckily your lowest (the PS) is what I would assume the least important section of the two. BS/VR are pretty close