long term rental/taxi/buy car for surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usrael

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts?
Anyone have a good experience with long term car rentals. Any companies out there that might offer low 3 month rentals?
I see no reason to buy a car just because my surgery rotation starts before public transportation is up and running.

Members don't see this ad.

Got a month long rental for an away rotation...not cheap (~$500 or $14/day), but cheaper than buying a car. Use a site like hotwire or priceline that is scouring for unrented cars. If the price is too high the first time you check wait a couple days - I saved nearly $300 by booking my car 5 days after I initially looked for prices. I used hotwire.

What are your thoughts?
Anyone have a good experience with long term car rentals. Any companies out there that might offer low 3 month rentals?
I see no reason to buy a car just because my surgery rotation starts before public transportation is up and running.

Well, it's not just the rotation, you are likely to need a car for residency when you also may be coming and going before public transportation. Also I don't know about your program but at lots of places you may be having to periodically get in really early for OB and for inpatient IM to preround.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice!

Well, it's not just the rotation, you are likely to need a car for residency when you also may be coming and going before public transportation. Also I don't know about your program but at lots of places you may be having to periodically get in really early for OB and for inpatient IM to preround.

I agree about needing a car for residency, but financing will be slightly easier when I'm making a salary. As miniscule as that may be, it beats 6.8% plus the dealers interest rate (so likely >10% if I finance it now).

I'm walking distance to my OB site.
Even if IM requires early arrivals, 6 months of taxis (one way in the early AM) would be equal to insurance+gas+taxes (4,000$).

My only concern is being dependent on a taxi company.

Got a month long rental for an away rotation...not cheap (~$500 or $14/day), but cheaper than buying a car. Use a site like hotwire or priceline that is scouring for unrented cars. If the price is too high the first time you check wait a couple days - I saved nearly $300 by booking my car 5 days after I initially looked for prices. I used hotwire.

Did you purchase insurance on top of that, or did your credit card take care of the coverage?