Long time no see, I am back SDN Anesthesiologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAmir0078

"Thank You"
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellows

It is me Amir, an Iraqi American who lives in Baghdad and currently I am in my second year of residency in Anesthesia and Critical Care aka CA1. (see my old threads)

Few days ago, they announced the grades of our Primary aka PGY1 exams of the Iraqi Board in Anaesthesia and Critical Care (we had two exams, first day "short assays" and second day was MCQs) and was held on last October.

The good news is, that I passed the exam within the top 5 of my class (Only 34 passed out of 70+ residents all over Iraq).
So, this coming year I will stay at Baghdad Medical City, it will be another amazing lovely year of training with our amazing Professors and I am still holding my dream about the Iraqi podcast in Anaesthesia and Critical Care... I am just breathing air after two months of holding my breath, studying and studying!

I am back, and I have my first question!

I am focusing on studying Morgan and Mikhail's, but more focusing on another textbook called "Yao and Artusio's Anesthesiology: Problem-Oriented Patient Management".

The thing is , the last 8th edition 2016 is not available here (only on demand), and the previous edition 7th 2012 is available.

From your opinion, do you think there is a huge differences between the two editions?

I am so thankful for your time in reading me...

Can't wait to post new threads about new cases...

Sincerely
Amir

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I don’t think anesthesia has changed much from 2012 to 2016. Textbook updates are a scam designed to sell books.

Also, how is life and working in Baghdad?

Reactions: 7 users
Hello fellows

It is me Amir, an Iraqi American who lives in Baghdad and currently I am in my second year of residency in Anesthesia and Critical Care aka CA1. (see my old threads)

Few days ago, they announced the grades of our Primary aka PGY1 exams of the Iraqi Board in Anaesthesia and Critical Care (we had two exams, first day "short assays" and second day was MCQs) and was held on last October.

The good news is, that I passed the exam within the top 5 of my class (Only 34 passed out of 70+ residents all over Iraq).
So, this coming year I will stay at Baghdad Medical City, it will be another amazing lovely year of training with our amazing Professors and I am still holding my dream about the Iraqi podcast in Anaesthesia and Critical Care... I am just breathing air after two months of holding my breath, studying and studying!

I am back, and I have my first question!

I am focusing on studying Morgan and Mikhail's, but more focusing on another textbook called "Yao and Artusio's Anesthesiology: Problem-Oriented Patient Management".

The thing is , the last 8th edition 2016 is not available here (only on demand), and the previous edition 7th 2012 is available.

From your opinion, do you think there is a huge differences between the two editions?

I am so thankful for your time in reading me...

Can't wait to post new threads about new cases...

Sincerely
Amir
I don't have any personal experience with Yao, but I will say that the differences from one edition to the next are usually not very significant. The basics and foundation of anesthesia haven't changed a lot from one edition to the next. I think the 7th edition should be more than adequate!

If you were reading a book that is 3 or 4 editions old, it may be more questionable (but probably still adequate!)

Congratulations in passing your test!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yao is a good book. It's set up kind of like the oral boards, where it gives you a stem and then goes through how to approach the problem. 3rd vs 4th edition shouldn't really make any difference.

Reactions: 1 users
The new edition contains a bunch of new information on RNAi and CRISPR and how it pertains to anesthesia.

(JK....)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Thanks for the advice, I will get it.
Good question, work in Baghdad is different and politically mode related in general especially if we are talking about Government vs Peace vs facilities.
Anesthesia and Critical Care are both related to an individual experience and how to deal with the difficult cases.
I am getting my training in Baghdad Medical City which is considered the only highly sophisticated tertiary center in County, beside other centers in the major cities.
Income wise, you won't get paid fairly in government sector (still they have its own private pay too), but still if you are a good Anesthesiologist, the private sector (private hospitals) is a very competitive and always demanding good experienced Anesthesiologist.

Regional Anesthesia is very developed and also pain management.
Salary wise for top ranking Anesthesiologist would easily get 10k a month.
Most of the time you can work in government sector (with its private pay) and private sector as well.
If the geopolitical background situation is well, and if I am in a good position, would invite you fellows to Baghdad at least to participate in our National conferences, there is upcoming one next December "The second National Pain management conference", it will help to bridge the experiences... This is another dream though.
I don’t think anesthesia has changed much from 2012 to 2016. Textbook updates are a scam designed to sell books.

Also, how is life and working in Baghdad?

Thanks a lot for your advice too
I don't have any personal experience with Yao, but I will say that the differences from one edition to the next are usually not very significant. The basics and foundation of anesthesia haven't changed a lot from one edition to the next. I think the 7th edition should be more than adequate!

If you were reading a book that is 3 or 4 editions old, it may be more questionable (but probably still adequate!)

Congratulations in passing your test!

Indeed.
Yet, we have to individually seek for a textbook to aid us keeping us updated. We have a mid exam at the 3rd year OSCE one (The assessment exam).
We need a book that cover pathophysiology of the diseases, and treatment beside the pre - perioperative and postoperative management.
Anesthesia has plenty of textbooks, and we found Yao is a thirst reliever :)
Yao is a good book. It's set up kind of like the oral boards, where it gives you a stem and then goes through how to approach the problem. 3rd vs 4th edition shouldn't really make any difference.

Thanks for the advice, I will get it.
Good question, work in Baghdad is different and politically mode related in general especially if we are talking about Government vs Peace vs facilities.
Anesthesia and Critical Care are both related to an individual experience and how to deal with the difficult cases.
I am getting my training in Baghdad Medical City which is considered the only highly sophisticated tertiary center in County, beside other centers in the major cities.
Income wise, you won't get paid fairly in government sector (still they have its own private pay too), but still if you are a good Anesthesiologist, the private sector (private hospitals) is a very competitive and always demanding good experienced Anesthesiologist.

Regional Anesthesia is very developed and also pain management.
Salary wise for top ranking Anesthesiologist would easily get 10k a month.
Most of the time you can work in government sector (with its private pay) and private sector as well.
If the geopolitical background situation is well, and if I am in a good position, would invite you fellows to Baghdad at least to participate in our National conferences, there is upcoming one next December "The second National Pain management conference", it will help to bridge the experiences... This is another dream though.
Dr. Amir, It's refreshing to listen to your enthusiastic and optimistic view of the future of medicine in Iraq. Iraq has an amazing resource, it's the Iraqi people, one of the most resilient populations on earth, you my friend are true survivors, and that's why Iraq will rise again and prosper.

Reactions: 11 users
Dr. Planktonmd,
Thanks for your words.
I believe in optimism, it alleviates lots of negative thoughts surrounding us.
As you may heard these days and since early last October, Iraqis gathered all to revolt, protesting and with ongoing strikes in most of the Country provinces and especially in Baghdad refusing corruption, and want a real change for a real sovereignty of our decisions for a better life.

The last two weeks were tough on us, we are on alert code, because of the injured protestors who arrive to our hospital and we give them our medical care. We had over 300 martyrs and over 10000 injured since October 1st.

Our Anesthesia teams are working very hard managing such cases beside emergency cases and elective cases.

With such exhaustion and tiring work, we have to believe in optimism, so what you have said "a prosper Iraq" will come true one day!
Dr. Amir, It's refreshing to listen to your enthusiastic and optimistic view of the future of medicine in Iraq. Iraq has an amazing resource, it's the Iraqi people, one of the most resilient populations on earth, you my friend are true survivors, and that's why Iraq will rise again and prosper.

Reactions: 6 users
DrAmir,

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'm really curious as to the facilities you have in Iraq for anaesthesia and surgery.

Excuse my ignorance of your situation ...

Do you have

reliable & plentiful oxygen source - is it cylinders? VIE? do you have oxygen concentrators ?
what about outside Baghdad?

what about medical air and suction?

... perhaps you could start a seperate thread ?

Dr. Planktonmd,
Thanks for your words.
I believe in optimism, it alleviates lots of negative thoughts surrounding us.
As you may heard these days and since early last October, Iraqis gathered all to revolt, protesting and with ongoing strikes in most of the Country provinces and especially in Baghdad refusing corruption, and want a real change for a real sovereignty of our decisions for a better life.

The last two weeks were tough on us, we are on alert code, because of the injured protestors who arrive to our hospital and we give them our medical care. We had over 300 martyrs and over 10000 injured since October 1st.

Our Anesthesia teams are working very hard managing such cases beside emergency cases and elective cases.

With such exhaustion and tiring work, we have to believe in optimism, so what you have said "a prosper Iraq" will come true one day!

Glad to see you here again.

Keep the faith. 30 years from now you'll look back on these days as some of the best of your life, because you were doing good work, changing the world for the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrAmir,

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'm really curious as to the facilities you have in Iraq for anaesthesia and surgery.

Excuse my ignorance of your situation ...

Do you have

reliable & plentiful oxygen source - is it cylinders? VIE? do you have oxygen concentrators ?
what about outside Baghdad?

what about medical air and suction?

... perhaps you could start a seperate thread ?

@JobsFan

Dear Dr.JobsFan
You are welcome to ask at anytime, hijack the thread :)
I probably need to write a new thread about the practice of anesthesia in Iraq, but answering your question with the best personal knowledge I have:
1- We have plentiful Oxygen source, at Baghdad Medical Center BMC, I have seen Oxygen Central Supply with diameter-index safety system, but haven't seen Medical air. We also have Oxygen Cylinders as Backup too - the central oxygen supply is not always available everywhere, we use Oxygen cylinders (I believe G size)
Suction - Yes Suction devices are available (portable ones), but sometimes, some Anesthesia workstation has its own suction device.
What do you mean by VIE?
Thanks ...

Glad to see you here again.

Keep the faith. 30 years from now you'll look back on these days as some of the best of your life, because you were doing good work, changing the world for the better.

Thanks Dr. @pgg ,
I am keeping the faith like you all...
Many thanks

Good to get your perspective. We tend to be a little spoiled in the US with seemingly unlimited resources, relatively high pay etc. Easy to lose sight of how lucky we are.

...ok, back to booking my next heli skiing trip

Reactions: 3 users
Good to see you back my friend, and congratulations on your continued success in training! I would very much love to come visit someday for a conference and to spend time learning from you and your colleagues about how to provide excellent care with the resources and constraints you operate within. Your patients are very lucky to have you!

Good to get your perspective. We tend to be a little spoiled in the US with seemingly unlimited resources, relatively high pay etc. Easy to lose sight of how lucky we are.

...ok, back to booking my next heli skiing trip
Did I tell you about the time we took down a tree with our heli while digging a PZ above a cliff in Haines Ak? That was a doozy.

Good to see you back my friend, and congratulations on your continued success in training! I would very much love to come visit someday for a conference and to spend time learning from you and your colleagues about how to provide excellent care with the resources and constraints you operate within. Your patients are very lucky to have you!
Thanks ....
One day in a peaceful situation, everybody is welcomed; we will all learn from each other. Who knows, I would visit you friends for a clinical attachment one day :)

Did I tell you about the time we took down a tree with our heli while digging a PZ above a cliff in Haines Ak? That was a doozy.

Good times! I did one trip to AK with Chugach. It was truly unbelievable (45 degrees to start, mellowing to 35 for the next 3000 feet of knee deep) but I was scared half the time and settled on cat skiing in BC as more my speed.

We only flew 2 days that whole week, but they were the best 2 days of my life.

Thanks for the info, I have to ask, but as I said before, we have at our BMC "wall oxygen supply". We have like at our biggest OR which holds like 20 theaters I believe a central oxygen supply, I think will be feasible to use VIE, but I need to ask...