Long time reader, big time thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adamb83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I can't remember the last time I posted (if ever) i do visit this board quite frequently and would like to say thanks for all who have posted. I always start my day by reading these forums because all of your success stories motivate me like crazy for the rest of the day. I also appreciate all the indirect advice given. All my practice scores are now consistantly in the double digits. I have ordered a ton of books based on recommendations from this website. So far I'm extremely happy with EK and kaplan bio, thrilled with nova's physics book!! (best mcat prep book i have used thus far), and completely unsatisfied with any organic or gen chem book (have used EK and Kaplan). The organic chem is not a problem, as i use my college text book anyway, and it is also one of my strong subjects. However, I have not taken a gen. chem class in 2 years, and in my opinion, is the biggest thing holding me back right now. Neither the EK or Kaplan provide good review or explaination (in my opinion), and the EK 1001 questions on gen chem is one of the worst books I've used, as none of their chapters help me answer their questions. I discovered Nova physics through this board, but I heard Nova chemistry is not quite as good. So I come asking advice on my next big purchase.

Members don't see this ad.

Although I can't remember the last time I posted (if ever) i do visit this board quite frequently and would like to say thanks for all who have posted. I always start my day by reading these forums because all of your success stories motivate me like crazy for the rest of the day. I also appreciate all the indirect advice given. All my practice scores are now consistantly in the double digits. I have ordered a ton of books based on recommendations from this website. So far I'm extremely happy with EK and kaplan bio, thrilled with nova's physics book!! (best mcat prep book i have used thus far), and completely unsatisfied with any organic or gen chem book (have used EK and Kaplan). The organic chem is not a problem, as i use my college text book anyway, and it is also one of my strong subjects. However, I have not taken a gen. chem class in 2 years, and in my opinion, is the biggest thing holding me back right now. Neither the EK or Kaplan provide good review or explaination (in my opinion), and the EK 1001 questions on gen chem is one of the worst books I've used, as none of their chapters help me answer their questions. I discovered Nova physics through this board, but I heard Nova chemistry is not quite as good. So I come asking advice on my next big purchase.

I agree with the guy above me about TBR. They are the absolute best you can get with G. Chem. If you follow the instructions on how to use the 2 books you should be a master in G. Chem after completing the 10 sections which include 100 questions per section. It is the best content and practice you can buy short of using AAMC as practice. I've only used the G. Chem and Physics but since you're solid on physics I wouldn't suggest buying it unless you need the extra practice. However, I have heard that the Organic for TBR is just as good as the G. Chem from almost all the people that have purchased both so if you need more help in organic or just massive amounts of practice then you might consider picking that up too.

If, however, you don't feel like going through the hastle of ordering the TBR books then you could also get the TPR Hyperlearning Physcial Sciences Review book which also has a very good content review of G. Chem but doesn't compare to the practice of TBR.

Sorry, this ended up being longer than I thought.

-LIS

I think TBR Gen Chem is the best book they have. Everyone should use that book.

I think their Physics and O-Chem books are better than the other companies, but organic is becoming less important and TPR and Nova are probably sufficent for Physics. I used Nova at first and I think it is good for content and the problems are good at drilling into your head. TBR seems even better. The tips they give you are good, the passages are way better, and the solutions are better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to have to resoundingly support the statements of the other posters. TBR Gchem is the greatest set of books you can use for Gchem.

Their physics is also good. I prefer it to Nova, but why fix what ain't broke. Get their Gchem.

I think their Organic is also pretty good, but I haven't had a chance to read much of that. I'm going to read their section on Carbonyl chemistry and lab techniques, but that's about it.

Good luck!